Status: New chapter every week!

Mint Chocolate

14

Wednesday evening came quickly. I reluctantly slipped on a pair of blue sports shorts, lined with white with the words CALI on the back. I pulled a plain white racer back tank top over my sports bra and let it flow lightly past my exposed stomach. My bare feet padded against the carpet across to the bathroom where Leah had started to apply make up in the mirror. She widened her eyes in front of the mirror, her mouth in an'o' shape while she concentrated on lengthening her already long lashes.
'Is there a need to put make up on before gym? You'll just sweat it all off, anyway.'
'Ugh. I hate that word...sweat.' She repeated the word as she answered me slowly and half-heartedly.
I hardly made an effort at all. My hair swung behind me, the ends curling naturally. My face free of make up apart from cherry chapstick giving my lips a pinkish tint so I didn't look too ghostly.
I rolled my eyes. 'You're the first person I've seen actually making an effort to go to the gym...it's a gym!'
I crossed my arm over my chest and leaned my head against the doorway. Leah had her hair tied up in a high ponytail, the pink fading. She wore a white moulded bra cami over a pair of hot pink shorts to match her hair.
'Now come on, we're gonna be late!' She said once again, leaving her make up in a clutter in the sink. Little drops of foundation and mascara aswell as a little powder dropped onto the glowing white sink.
'Even if we were late, it would've been your fault.'
At the door, I slipped on an old pair of Nike's and followed Leah out the house and into her car.

*
'Why the hell am I so nervous?!' I exclaimed to Leah as I stuffed my gym bag in a locker. She looked at me and cocked an eyebrow.
'Because you will most probably do something terribly embarrassing.'
'That is so not helping.' My shoulders dropped as we headed into the actual gym area, I realized Leah was right. I most probably would do something embarrassing. Leah jutted her butt and chest out, adjusting her cami a littler lower. She then reached over to me attempting to pull my shirt down a little.
'Have you not seen the amount of hunks in this place, pull your top down a little.'
'Get off!' I grabbed her by the wrists, pulling them away from me. She scowled and turned back around. Surrounding Leah and I was the smell of sweat as well as a mixture of men and women all hoping to tone up or induce a healthier lifestyle...well, exercised. I watched Leah as she scanned the faces, bodies and butts of the men that came in various shapes and sizes. I was definitely beginning to see why Leah joined the gym and I realized that gym wasn't going to be so bad afterall.
The energetic dance music blasted from the speakers loudly echoing through the large room, infiltrating the minds of everyone making them create a sense of rhythm as they exercised on the various machines.
The light poured in from the frosted windows way above us in the high ceiling and the
'Oh, my God. This is hunk heaven.' I said without thinking.
'Damn, girl!' Leah flung her arm back hitting me lightly across the chest. 'Are you beginning to see why I like the gym so much?'
I nodded as we mounted the exercise bikes that I suggested we started out at. From that end of the gym, I was mostly hidden from everyone and had a great view of almost every guy.
'How the hell do you work this thing?' I asked pressing random button on the machine whilst my other hand gripped what was meant to be the handle bars. I earned beeps and little red, green and amber on the display switch on before.
'Let the expert handle it.' Leah then briefly hopped of her bike and pressed a few buttons here and there.
'There ya go!' She hopped back on and I began to move my feet, like a taster pedal. After confirming it was safe to ride, I began to pedal slowly with Leah joining in after.
'You know, if you talk you get distracted and won't think about how you'll probably end up covered in sweat patches, your hair in a mess and the muscle pains you'll have in the minute and the aches that come after.'
'Well, thanks for reminding me.' I replied sarcastically.
'Come on now, Spirit. Feed me some gossip and information to keep my legs runniiing.' She dragged out the'i' sounding like a child Maia's age.
'Like what?'
'I don't know, tell me about your Jackson friend.'
'Oh, you mean Jacky?'
'What kind of a name is that for a guy? My mum's called Jacky for God's sake!' A light laugh escaped her lips.
My legs were starting to ache slightly, I continued the conversation.
'Jacky. Hmm, he's a little weird I'd say..' I paused, catching my breath. 'A good weird though.'
'I would've probably known him a few years ago,' Her brow furrowed in thought.
'I think he only befriended Ronnie during prison? After prison? A little before he went to prison? I don't know.'
'I may come visit in the bar sometime soon, want a catch up with my old pal, Ronnie. That's if he talks to me ever again after I flipped a shit when you guy's broke up.'
I smiled at that comment although it was kind of unfair on Ronnie as when Leah has a go at you, she REALLY does.
'I know what you're thinking and he deserved it, okay?!'
I was feeling the heat of the muscles in my legs...and the worst thing was that I was kind of enjoying it. My body was beginning to get used to the burn and the paced beating in my chest. I felt slightly more relaxed in this masculine looking gym, my surrounds slightly more familiar. At first, I felt a little self conscious but I realized that the gym isn't exactly a place where everyone looks their best. It's a place where sweating and sweat patches are normal, no one will look at you twice and judge.
And then there are some times where people look really....really...REALLY good while...look the girl across the room from me, her hair long and brown against her bright blue gym wear-
'Oh, er- let's go do some running.' I said hopping off the bike clumsily and dragging Leah to the treadmills which were more hidden.
'Wow, okay. Eager.' Leah's eyes opened wide in confusion as she had no choice but to follow me.
We paced across the gym her arm clasped by my hand. Leah didn't ask too many questions as she knew I'd explain to her eventually. I was feeling flustered, my skin was sticky causing my shirt to stomach and back. I didn't understand why I felt so nervous, she was just a woman like I was only much prettier and a guys ideal girl. She was literally perfect.
I turned on the treadmill, twisting some nobs here and there.
'Er...that girls coming over to us, do you know her?'
My shoulders dropped and I sighed in annoyance. She was already perfect, did I need her coming over here and rubbing it all in my face without knowing?
'Get on, look busy!' I said hastily, wanting to seem busy just so she wouldn't bother me.
'She's SO coming over by the way...'
'Aw, crap.' I looked over, she still hadn't noticed me. 'Stop messing with me!'
'Sorry! But why are you so paranoid that she doesn't see you?' She asked jogging at a much slower pace than I was.
I stalled for a minute pretending think but using those seconds only to catch my breath.
'Because I don't know...she mocks me that she's so imperfectly perfect!'
'Oh...hang on, babe. Is that the jealousy bug?' She widened her eyes in artificial shock.
'What?! No, I mean I was at the beginning but you know, I realized that-'
'Right, I'm getting to hear these lies now...'
'The relationship won't last long because it's only in his head that she's perfect-'
'And more lies...'
'He sees what he wants to see-'
'Bullshit again...'
Leah was beginning to get on my last nerve...
'Who's fucking side are you on?!' I snapped, running on the treadmill it's fast accompanied by my anger.
'That's my girl! Jealous bitch on a road to win back her ex boyfriend who is most probably totally in love with her!' Leah attempted to raise her arms but wobbled and gripped firmly onto the sides of the treadmill. 'Okay then, now your little anger rant's almost over it may be a good time to slow down because knowing you...you're so going to fall.'
'I'm not going to fall.' I said reassuring myself more than I was reassuring her. It was NOT an anger rant! And no, he isn't in love with me still at all, he doesn't have any feelings for me whatsoever. In fact, you know what?-'
'Stop!' Leah shouted but I was too desperate to get this out that I ignored her and continued to speak.
'I still do like him! But he's completely over me, after the drama that I mostly caused-'
'Spirit! Incoming...'
'He wouldn't want me back anyways...he's a damn prick.'
'Turn around!'
'What?!'
I flicked my head and swore that my heart stopped for two seconds. I was so embarrassed that I didn't have time to blush before my whole body became uncoordinated, I lost my footing and crashed down. I put my hands out in front of me to support my body resulting with a click and searing pain in my right wrist followed by my body getting thrown back by the treadmill, hitting the ground with a thud.
I groaned and restrained myself from hitting my head against the ground repeatedly.