Status: New chapter every week!

Mint Chocolate

3

It took a while before I plucked up the courage to come down as for some reason, I felt a little sick and just wanted to go home and rest. But I couldn't leave Dancer, I promised her I would help her out and that's what I'm here to do.
My bare feet were cold against the floor as I walked down the stairs instantly being met by screeching toddlers and banging music.
One of her pigtails had dropped lower than the other, the ribbon slowly untying; her sandals were off her feet and her mouth was covered in chocolate as well as her shirt which was oh, so clean when I first put it on her this morning. As soon as she noticed me, she skipped towards me, jumping at me and I held Maia tight as I caught her small body in my arms and lifted her up.
'Mummy!' She said smiling, revealing her very tiny teeth at me as I pulled back a strand of her dark curly hair.
'Maia!' I said excitedly kissing her cheek. 'Hope you've been a good girl.' I said putting her down and fixing her hair, she fidgeted as I tightened the ribbon and grabbed a napkin from the table and wiped off the chocolate. She writhed and screeched at me and I let her out of my grip to go back to her little friends.
'How are you feeling after that shower?' Dancer popped out of nowhere with her arm around me.
'Feeling better. Drowsy. But better.' I shrugged off her arm and walked into the kitchen grabbing a beer from the side and taking a large gulp.
'Good. You can help Josh out. He called for you anyways. He's at the front.'

I made my out to the front door where I saw Josh putting a few guitar amps into the boot to his battered, old red car.
'You called?'
Josh looked up from his boot at me before closing it.
'I was wondering whether you'd accompany me to the airport.' He asked. 'And I wanted to talk to you about something.' He leaned with his arms crossed against his car and looked from me to the floor awkwardly.
'Urmm, sure.' I shrugged as I rubbed my arm and slipped on a pair of Dancer's flats behind me at the entrance of the house before closing the door and walking down to his faded car.

'So, where are we going?' I asked him as he strapped in and started his car, I pulled my seat belt across as his engine gave a rusty start.
Josh didn't reply. He turned the radio on, a Foo Fighters song played quietly as he rode down the street and exited at the left.
I leaned my head on the side of the car.
'I wanted to talk to you about...' He hesitated for a moment. 'You're...lonely.'
'I'm not lonely.' I said to him, my voice firm. How could he say that to me? Did he not think for a moment? I could've found it offensive. But I didn't. That wasn't his intention but his suggestion was scarily accurate. Was I that easy to read?
'You're raising a a small child whilst working 2 jobs to pay the bills, eat and buy things for you and Maia and helping Dancer out with the kids whenever she needs help. Babe, you hardly get to see Maia.' Josh said said, sympathy evident in his voice. He did care about me. As much as I wanted to tell him to butt out, I simply stayed quite as Josh was only concerned. To be honest, I agreed with Josh myself. I wanted to spend some more time with Maia, I wanted to be closer to my little girl and be a better mum. It's hard enough hardly ever seeing her and as a single parent, it only complicates things. I was sure that my hair would start falling out pretty soon due to all the stress. I'd keep myself awake at night because my mind wouldn't stop bothering my about all these problems that are in need of solving. I'd sometimes lie with Maia in her room when I couldn't sleep. I'd watch her small chest rise and fall with every breath she took, her hair would cover a lot of her face and sprawl out on the pillow beneath her head, she'd always have one leg out of the covers when asleep and would often mutter incoherent words. I just wish I could give her a better life.
'So, quit that old job at the supermarket.'
'I can't do that.' My voice was quiet and frail, I cleared my throat. 'I'm in debt and I despar-'
'I've got you another job at the bar Cherry Bomb not far from here. They pay double and you only work nights meaning you get two more days with Maia.'
'What days would I work?' I asked, considering the job.
'Friday's and Saturday's from 9PM until 3AM.'
I stayed silent for a moment before replying to him.
'Where would I leave Maia?' I looked at Josh who licked his lips as he stopped at a light and looked at me.
'With Dancer.'
'What about the payment? I'm only working there 12 hours if I get the job, the money's not gonna be enough.'
'That's where you're right. And wrong. Yes, you will get paid less but the tips here are extreme.'
I raised my eyebrows in confusion.
'Okay, so you're sure about this job? Would I not need a C.V or an interview or something?'
'I'm taking care of it now.'
Josh turned the corner and parked his car, he then undid his seat belt and cut off the engine.
'What?' I said as he opened the door and stepped out of the car. I followed him and shut the car door and met him at his boot.
'Here take this.' He grunted as he lifted the amp and handed it to me. I almost dropped it but managed to catch my balance as I struggled to hold the damn thing.
'Come on.' Made his way out around the side of a building not too far.

The alley looked seriously creepy. There was a couple holding the door to let us in. The guy was quite tall and lanky, tattooed and a rocker. The girl had yellow bleached hair, her roots showing. She wore dark eyeshadow and a halterneck dress. She too was heavily tattooed.
Josh greeted the couple. I whispered a thanks, they guy nodded his head smiling warmly. The girls simply smiled but unlike the guy, she emitted zero emotion in her eyes. Maybe it was just the over usage of eye liner that made her look cold and sort of heartless.

It smelt of tobacco and beer. It was smokey and quite, it was still only about 7 PM. I started to develop a slight headache and it was difficult to keep up with him. I couldn't even see where Josh was heading, there were also people walking everywhere. Drunk, high and whatnot. I bit my lip and let out a squeal as I walked straight into someone and the amp slipped from my hand.
'Oh, my god. I am so sorry!' I exclaimed, a little caught off guard.
'It's alright!' He said catching the amp and lifting it effortlessly.
'Hey, do I...know you?'
I blinked once. Twice. Three times.
♠ ♠ ♠
NEW CHAPTERS FINALLY HERE! :D
Thanks for my first comment, xXRememberTheDaysXx!
And thanks to my 4o readers and 8 subscribers!
<3