Status: New chapter every week!

Mint Chocolate

6

'OH MY GOD, Ronnie's back. Is this for real? Am I dreaming?' I paced up and down the kitchen buttoning up a plain white fitted blouse over black jeans rolled up at the bottom with a pair of black ballet flats.
'A-and to think I'm going to have to work with him there? How often? I can't even - what if he knows? Knows everyth-'
'Dayuum, Spirit how much is there to know? It's not like you're hiding a dinosaur or something?' Leah said trying to follow my pacing movements attempting to straighten my hair.
'No, but I might aswell be! What? Say if he finds out about Maia, will he come running back to me?'
'Would you take him back?' I stopped pacing mainly because Leah had pulled me by the hair in order to continue to straighten but also because I didn't know whether I would take him back. Most probably not...
I don't think I'd be able to handle it. I'm still uncertain of what was going on with my emotions when I saw him for the first time since he left yesterday. How about Maia? How would Maia react to a father? A man who'd show up at her doorstep, I've managed for years haven't I? But there was so much more to come, she'd need a father figure in her life.
Scenarios played in my head to do with the Maia's fatherless bringing up.
What if she noticed she didn't have a father and began making fun of her? Or even she felt left out that she couldn't talk about her father because she didn't know him at all.
The poor girl didn't even know what he looked like, she hadn't asked about him yet.
I was unsure of what to reply to her.
'Leah, what if she asks about him? What do I say?' I stage whispered to her, Maia was sitting watching T.V in the other room.
Leah scrunched her face. 'Tell her he died while giving birth to you.'
'....' I said nothing.
Leah stopped straightening my hair.
I stared at her, severely in shock at her oh-so-believable story about why Maia has not got a dad.
No emotion was evident in my face until we both broke into fits of laughter.
Leah put down the purple hair straighteners on the heat proof mat and bent over with laughter. And I thought this girl was serious, I mean would you look at her?
Leah's shoulder lenghth her was unnaturally blonde and high-lighted with the under layer a bright neon pink. She had it tied up in a bun on the top of her head and butterfly clips pinning loose strands and those too short to tie up.
Her nails were the colour of her neon orange wedges and a playsuit adorned her plus sized curvy body. Her appearance was the definition of her personality, bright and 'out-there'. She stood out like a sore thumb...in a good way that is. People always seemed to remember her.
Leah and I have been the best of buds since my 13th birthday when we met at school.
She had always been there for me and had never let me down despite a few little arguments about nonsense.
She was also known for the most outrageous stories and ideas, this being one of them.
'Shit, man! I was kidding, alright?'
'But adding that would've completed my life by making it sound like a drama series on TV or some crazy shit.'
As soon as I said that, I realized how weirdly true that sentence was.
'Or,' Leah suggested. 'You could write a book.' Leah pulled an awfully weird face while I applied a quick coat of mascara to my lashes without using a mirror.
'What the fudge cake are you doing?!'
The mascara wand was taken from and Leah applied the mascara to my lashes herself.
'Ah, crap. You poked me in the eye!'
The doorbell rang.

Typical. Everything seemed to be an absolute mess. My hair wasn't done, my make up wasn't done and Josh was already here to pick me up. I had no experience as a bartender. At least I think that's what my job is...I mean, the woman did ask me if I could dance. Which I can't by the way. Never could, tried ballet out as a kid but as usual it was an absolute fail. I'm not very good at balance and my co-ordination sucked.
I grabbed a tissue and wiped the tears quickly before they left a black streak down my cheek and I'd have to restart my make up.
'Maia, could you get that for me? It's Uncle Josh.'
I walked to the doorway of the living room so I could keep an eye on Maia as she opened the door.
'Uncle Josh?' Maia asked at the door, she was barely able to reach the lock but managed.
'It's Justin Bieber.'
Maia looked at me, her eyes wide. I shook my head and rolled my eyes as I walked over to the door and unlocked it, Maia's face dropped in disappointment.
'Hey, Spir.' He did a short wave. 'You ready?'
'Almost!' I said waving him in, I quickly ran across the living room Josh behind me.
I picked up the hair straighteners and did my bangs over real quick before turning them off and putting them on a heat proof mat, on top of the fridge to cool down out of Maia's reach.
'What the hell is this stuff?' Said Leah bent down, bum in the air, rummaging through the cupboard.
'What's what?' I asked stuffing my belongings in a bag.
Josh who was leaning against the door frame was checking out Leah's behind.
'Shit!' Exclaimed Leah who as she was pulling out whatever, she hit her head on the side of the cupboard.
I rolled my eyes as she attempted to stand up rubbing the back of her head and then struggled to open the packet of raisins.
'Oh, hey Josh.' She said as she strutted down towards the living room, her hips swaying inevitably.
I hit Josh across the arm, his attention back to me now.
'Ready to go?'

*

'I thought this pint came with a side order of tit.' A toothless man with greasy hair said to me, flashing me a gummy grin. I laughed nervously, the sound resembled more a mumble than a laugh.
I struggled to fill his glass but handed it to him, almost scared if he was serious about the side order of tit. I handed it to him and he accepted and took a giant gulp.
'Cheers, hun.' He said walking off. I could smell the beer and tobacco on his breath along with some unwashed mouth. I almost heaved but hid what I was thinking with a small smile just to be polite.
I blew out, still a little nervous about this. It was 9:04PM. I'd been here just over an hour and I felt myself getting a little stuffy despite me being in a very light shirt. I undid a button on my shirt, showing the slightest bit off cleavage. I normally would be very self-conscious about this sort of thing but my tiny amount of cleavage was nothing exhilarating to the guys here. I mean, seriously some of the clothes worn by a lot of the girls here were far more revealing. They literally bared everything which is why I also felt a little out of place, much like the first time I came here.
I picked up the cloth in the bucket of strong smelling bleach and water, squeezed the excess water down and wiped down the counter before putting the cloth back in the bucket and wiping my hands on my apron.
'Excuse me!' I heard. 'Spirit?' I tried to locate where the voice was coming from, a skinny arm shot up in the air waving excitedly. I noticed a mess of black hair and another t-shirt with a rather gory design.
'Jacky, right?' I said walking over to him, he nodded and smiled.
'How's your first day of work?' He said pulling out money from his back pocket.
'It's going pretty good, would you like anything?' I asked cocking my head to the side and brushing a piece of hair behind my ear.
'Urm, can...I have...a...' He said, obviously still thinking.m 'vodka and coke...on the rocks, please?' He scrunched his face in doubt. 'Yes, just that.'
'Will that be all?' I asked reaching for a cup and putting in a few ice cubes. He nodded as I finished up his drink and handed it to him.
'Do you not want to pay after? You know, if you want another drink or something?' I suggested.
'Nah, no thanks. This is just a quickie to perk me up a bit before the show and I don't really want to drink around Ronnie.'
'Oh, okay.' I simply said. 'Here you go.' I said handing the drink to Jacky in exchange for a note.
'So, how long have you been coming here?'
'Not too long actually, since Ronnie came out of prison we-' Jacky was interrupted.
A hand was placed upon Jacky's shoulder.
'We're on soon.' Ronnie barely whispered but I just about made out what he said.
I looked down and continued to dry the glass although it was already dry. I could feel his eyes on me.
'Hey.' Ronnie said, smiling slightly.
'Hi.' I said feeling rather self conscious as his eyes traveled to as far as the counter would allow my body to be on show.
He stood gazing at me. Something obviously running through his mind but I couldn't tell what it was.
'I-I...ugh...Would you like anything?' I said breaking the silence between us despite the noise from everyone else in the bar.
Ronnie glanced briefly at Jacky's glass. He closed his eyes for longer than usual and opened them, looking up at me.
'Not just yet, I'll be back though.' He looked back. 'Right, I'm gonna go and set up.' He said to Jacky, Jacky following him sliding the glass to me beforehand.
'See ya.'
I caught the glass and brought it behind counter.

Not long after I spoke to Ronnie, they had almost set up on stage. I watched as him and a few other guys spoke through the mic to the audience. Some of the audience were standing, others were at their seats. I spotted Josh plugging items in.
The dim lights didn't seem too dim today. People were happy and chattering to others. They were thoroughly enjoying themselves in each others company and drinking just enough to keep a vibrating buzz through their body's to keep them upbeat but civilized. It was nice to watch people like this rather than a the odd depressed drunk or the violent drunk.
'Why did the mushroom go the party?' Said a black haired guy. (Gosh, didn't they all seem to love black hair?) Nobody answered
'Because he was a fungi.' He roared with laughter, I chuckled at this clever joke myself.
'Der, that was a joke from a fucking One Direction video!' It was Jacky's turn to laugh. The guy threw something of which I couldn't tell what it was at Jacky. Ronnie, shook his head and then dropped what he was doing, walking up to the stage. He raised his hands. As he was not close to a microphone, I did not understand what he had said. Only those close to the stage understand and apparently it was funny.
But I laughed anyways. I laughed because of the amount of memories that came rushing to my head. And that 4 years later, we're not together and that Ronnie Radke, the father of my child was standing just metres away from me unaware that he had a daughter.
After watching the guys play fighting and fiddling with wires, the lights were lowered and stage lights above them lit up.
A cheer emerged from the crowd aswell as a few whistles. Ronnie grabbed the mic.
The drums started.
Followed by a killer guitar riff.
Ronnie lifted the mic to his lips.
Oh, God how I've missed this.
I licked my lips subconsciously.
'He's quite the hottie isn't he.' A girl approached me leaning against the counter, she was one of the girl's who was here last time. She was a brunette, she obviously had extensions in. Her eyelashes were fake and very clumpy, her skin hidden by a mask of foundation and her lips a frosty shade of pink. Beneath that make up, I could tell she was very pretty.
I looked at her and smiled, I really didn't know what to say next.
'How are you finding the job?' She asked politely.
'Not as bad as I thought. It does get quite warm in here.' I fanned myself a little, for emphasis.
'Yeah, it does. You were probably wondering why most of the girls here dress like sluts..' She laughed lightly. That's why I felt rather uncomfortable in my skinny's and shirt whilst the brunette was in little denim shorties, wedges and a strapless top. So, yes. I don't wonder why the girls dressed like sluts.
'No, not at all.'
'Oh, sorry. I didn't introduce myself, I'm Annie.'
She offered me her hand, I shook it.
'Spirit.'
'That's a pretty name.'
She giggled. Damn, she was cute as heck - and I didn't even swing that way. Maybe I should make a little more of an effort next time.

Annie and I talked a little more and soon. I found out that she was Kathy, the owner of the bar's niece and that she pretty much had a guaranteed job here. She'd been here for the past three years and had got out of a bad relationship a year ago, she also had a great relationship with her current boyfriend and was anxious to know where it was heading.
Despite Annie literally giving me her life story, I wasn't going to give her mine.
She didn't question my anything too personal but I took care to keep my answers simple and discrete.

A cheer erupted from the crowd and everyone dispersed each to their own. Some to the toilets, some stayed seated, some made their way over to friends and others came to the bar for a drink. A delightful chatter filled the air and I started to bring out some glasses, ready to serve some drinks.
Annie picked up an apron from behind the counter and wrapped it round her waist.
'I'll help you out.' Annie offered tying her apron round her small waist.
'No, it's fin-'
'It's alright, a lot of people come for drinks after shows. It's always good to lend a helping hand, right?' A wide smile adorned her small, round face.
'Thanks so much,' I said equally returning a smile to just before the point where I looked like a little school kid having their school photograph taken.
'Can I have aaa....bud please?' Asked someone in front of me, rubbing his chin indecisively.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a figure approaching.
A towel was wrapped around his neck, he raised the end to wipe his sweat covered face.
'Hey, beautiful!' He said.
I stared. 'H-' I started just about to reply.'
'Hi, baby. Great show!' Annie leaned in kissing Ronnie, Ronnie raised her hand to her cheek.
I did nothing but blink. Why was I surprised? Speechless even? My chest was tight.
Gah, I didn't care! Not at all! I don't want Ronnie back or anything. I was NOT jealous. I don't do that! Why was I standing here, my mouth gaping and all?! Ronnie mea-
'Urm...excuse me? My beer?' Floated to my ears, I was very distant. I had forgotten I was meant to be serving someone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I took a while. These past few weeks have been packed with things I needed to do.
Anyways thanks for the comments and readers and subscribers!
It's not edited JUST yet, well it's done just very briefly.
I 'll do it proper;y when I next have time :D
Anyways thanks for hanging in there anyways!
Sorry if this chapter bores you or it its not very good, I just wanted to do something a little longer :)
Jess xoxo