Status: let's see how this goes for now...

Treasured Tributes

History. What is history? Is it just the events of the past? Chronicles and narratives of days long gone? If it is, then there are obviously many things forgotten. The sun does not care to remember where every inch of its light touches, it is insignificant. Like so, history does not care to remember every detail of every happening.
It is condensed and simplified.
It is stripped of meaning and emotion.
It is after all, in the past.

So then, are those forgotten memories not important now?

We say, “let’s make history,” already forgetting that the chances of any one of us being remembered for lifetimes is probably slim to none. But we say it anyway, because we like to feel significant.
We may introduce a friend to an old flame and say “we have history together,” and that automatically holds a different kind of weight.

History cannot just be the boring events of the lifetime of dead people. It isn’t just the wars and suffering endured by thousands. It is not only the fight for freedom from colonisation in the old and new world. It is greater than the tragedy recorded by Homer of the ancient world.

History is not just an event. It is so much more. It is the memory of perseverance through suffering. It is the inextinguishable love for light through the dark nights. It is personal, just as much as it is impersonal.

And it is written by survivors.
But I did not survive.

––– –––