Status: let's see how this goes for now...

Treasured Tributes

07

My life was almost normal the next day. I was back to being semi-invisible among my peers, and no one was talking.

Well they kind of were talking I guess. Everyone was talking. About Erik. But nobody was talking about me. He had come through with his word, somehow. He was treated like god among men, respected and idolised by the teen male population for his liaisons. It was quite obnoxious.

Pretty boy didn't come to school till after lunch, so I hadn't seen him since our chat in the library. But it didn't matter. I had already decided I was going to keep my distance from him. It was nothing personal, but I preferred not being thrown into the spotlight again.

I successfully managed to avoid him for three weeks before he confronted me. Turns out he was in my biology class too. It wasn't too difficult to ignore him in biology though, he sat at the back of the class with Kellan Sante, Hannah Greer and Lena Dunham. And I sat at the front by myself. I'm pretty sure for the first few days he didn't even notice I was in the class. I was sharpening my pencil at the bin near the entrance one day when he walked in. He shot me a small smile. I had scurried to Mrs Kishen and frantically prodded her with pointless questions about the assignment until he took his seat at the back.

The only time I worried about avoiding him was during history, where he sat next to me, and at work. Looking on the bright side, Aubrey sat with him in history, and I think that is the closest I have ever sat next to Aubrey. I was ecstatic at first, but then I was dismayed that I’d be ignoring Erik, and in turn, ignoring Aubrey. It's not like Aubrey had any reason to talk to me. We weren't friends, but he did occasionally acknowledge me with a nod when Erik would to pester me before Mr Tanner yelled at us.

I told pretty boy I didn't want to get in trouble in class, and he left me alone after that day. So I guess that the only real time I truly had trouble ignoring him was at work. He only came in twice a week, and I was unfortunately working both of those days. The first official day of his work I thought it would be fine if I didn't ignore him. But then I saw the other kids from school shooting me strange looks as Erik poked and pushed me in all directions with a wooden spatula around the diner. I knew it was pointless, so I got my roster changed. I made up some stupid excuse about my mom's schedule changing. I said I had to be home on the two days that Erik worked since she was taking her car, and I had no way of coming in.

It was three weeks later when Erik got called in for an overtime, and he could confront me. He had tried before actually, the previous week. I had rushed out of biology when I heard him calling for someone to wait. He was shouting at me, and I had panicked to a degree. His popular status came in handy though. He was always with someone or the other. He was always being approached by his many friends, so it wasn't that hard to lose him in the crowd when he was held back.

“Are you ignoring me?” I groaned internally as I looked up from behind the counter into pretty boy's dark emerald eyes. Mark had mentioned he was going to call someone in for overtime tonight, but I had hoped it would be Sophia, or even Tammy, not him.

I shook my head, forcing a smile, “No, of course not.”

He tilted his head, his face blank, “You are a terrible liar, Krys.”

I froze immediately, gaping at him slightly. He raised a brow, and I shook my head. “I don't think I've ever heard you say my name,” I admitted. “I was beginning to think you didn't know it,” I chuckled.

He smiled at me softly, “I only know what I've heard everyone else call you.”

So he really did not know my name. Huh. “Krys.” I grinned slowly, extending my hand. “Krysanthe Weller.” He shook my hand.

“Erik R Anderson,” I nodded.

I retracted my hand as he leaned forward on the counter, “What's the R stand for?”

I pulled out the cleaning cloth and wiped down the milkshake and coffee machines. “Renner. It was my uncle’s name.” I couldn't decide if it suited him, but I didn't comment. “Do you have a middle name?”

I turned back to face him, hesitating visibly, “Aurelia.” I replied, but something dark flickered over his eyes all of a sudden. His lips fell into a vacant frown and he exhaled in sharply, leaning back from the counter as his back straightened. I stepped towards him, “Are you okay, Erik?” his eyes looked haunted and distant.

He didn't answer. His head falling down to stare at his shoes. I wasn't sure what to do, so I stood there waiting, for what, I wasn't sure. The atmosphere felt heavy and grim. Several seconds passed before he moved. He glanced up, his eyes incongruously smiling. His plump lips turned into a grin to match his bright eyes, “That's a pretty name.” I smiled back tentatively. What just happened? “I like it better than Krys.”

I decided to ignore the weird shift in his mood. “You're the only one,” I pulled a face.

He cocked an eyebrow, “Why? I'd prefer it over Krys if you don't mind.”

I sighed, ready to protest against it, but I realised I didn't really mind. “Only if no one else is around,” I muttered instead. Pretty boy opened his mouth to question the condition, but then thought better of it, merely nodding in response.

“Habibi you are here.” I turned to face a relieved Amina addressing pretty boy. “We're about to get really busy within the hour.”

Crap, it was Friday night. A lot of people from school would be here too. I mentally started praying that Amina would move me back to kitchen duty. I didn't want to wait tables with pretty boy tonight. He seemed to have dropped the issue of me avoiding him, but I was just going to ignore him tonight, and he would be back in my face asking questions. I groaned as he followed Amina into the kitchen.

“Krys, stop daydreaming. Go take orders.” I turned to see Tammy and Sophia putting on their aprons. I nodded even though neither of them were looking at me anymore. I was pretty sure Tammy didn’t like me. At first I thought it was because I was new, and she just didn’t know me. But Erik was new too, and she liked him a bit too much. Both Tammy and Sophia were juniors at the Catholic school in the city. I even considered the possibility that it was because I went to a public school. But Sophia and Tammy were quite alike, and Sophia and I got along just fine.

Pretty boy came out about half an hour later, filling the main counter with pastries and cakes. I fidgeted around, pretending to be busy, but he saw right through my flimsy facade. “Are you trying to avoid me again?” I forced myself to look up at him. His eyes were narrowed and his lips were pursed into a thin line; he was annoyed.

“No,” I faked a laugh, “Why would I do that? I’m just busy.”

He rolled his eyes, “The diner hasn’t filled up yet. You literally have nothing to do.” He grabbed my hand, pulling me towards the kitchen, “C’mon, Amina wants you in the kitchen tonight.” I let him tug me along. If we were going to be at the back, away from everyone, then I didn’t mind not ignoring him.

“Krys, you are not waiting tonight.” I stared up at Amina as we walked into the kitchen. “The customer you spilled the barbecue sauce on last week is coming in for a family dinner, and he specifically requested that you stay away from him.”

My mouth opened to complain, but I found myself agreeing. That man was probably in his forties, and I think he may have been on a date that was going south, for he was quite bitter. And I may have spilled the sauce on purpose. He was rude for the entire night I served him, complaining about the angle at which I held the plates, and how his milkshake just didn’t taste sweet enough. I didn’t realise people like him actually existed until he was bossing me around. I think he even cursed me a few times, though thankfully not to my face. It was when he complained about how his chicken was a little too spicy for the umpteenth time that I had just wanted him to leave. After spilling the BBQ sauce he didn’t leave immediately, but made it a point to request that I be fired. He didn’t succeed of course, seeing as I was still here. Though I definitely got an aggravated lecture from Mark worth remembering.

“Is he actually allowed to do that?” I pondered to myself, as Amina grabbed her apron and walked out of the kitchen, muttering something in Arabic.

Erik replied instead, “He tried to bribe Mark too, offered him extra tip for keeping you off.” I pulled a face, looking away. That man was going out of his way to get rid of me. Pretty boy laughed, and I looked back at him. “What did you do to piss him off so much?”

I shrugged, “He was a jerk.” I leaned back against the kitchen counter as Erik pulled out various vegetables and meat. “Can you cook?”

“Yeah. I’m the one who cooks when I’m working, not Amina.” Wow, I did not know that, I was quite surprised. I thought he waited tables, but it seems he was a little more talented to waste his time waiting. As if reading my mind, pretty boy chuckled, “Of course, you would have known that if you didn’t change your roster to avoid me.”

“Hey! I di—” He shot me a glare and I stopped speaking. I should have known he wouldn't have dropped this issue permanently. I sighed, “Fine, I’m sorry.”

He didn’t look at me as he began cutting up the veggies. “But why?”

“Because, well—” I inhaled, “You’re just you.” He gave me a confused look. “I don’t want to be in the spotlight again,” I explained.

“I told you it was nothing to worry about. Everyone has left you alone, haven’t they?”

I nodded, “Yes, and thank you for that.” I gulped visibly, wondering how to word my next comment.

Erik sighed, “Then what’s the problem, Aurelia? Why are you hell bent on avoiding me?” I mentally decided that Aurelia sounded a lot better from him than Krys had. It was weird, but nice; really nice, and almost habitual. It felt natural, and pleasant.

“It’s just that every girl you talk to is thrown in the spotlight,” I mumbled. “I don’t want anyone saying I’m sleeping with you, or something ridiculous just because we talk, you know?” I sighed, running my hand through my dark hair. “But they will say that, so I thought if we didn’t talk at all, I wouldn’t have to worry about it.”

He frowned, “I’m not involved with every girl I talk to.”

I crossed my arms, throwing him a look, “Name one girl you talk to that you haven’t hooked up with, or there aren’t any rumours about.” I already knew the answer was zero. In the last three weeks our school had blown up with so much scandal, that any other high school would have looked like they’re in some sort of a drought for gossip.

“You,” he stated simply, returning to his cooking and cutting up the chicken and ham.

“That doesn’t count.”

He pointed to the olive oil bottle behind him, “Why not?”

“Because nothing happened between us. And there were rumours, but you got it to stop.” I moved off the counter, grabbing the bottle and tossing it towards him.

He poured some on the pan and turned to face me, grabbing my shoulders. “Exactly Aurelia. So stop worrying. Nobody is going to talk about you.” A familiar sensation washed over me, almost like a deja vu, but not in the sense that we’ve had this conversation before. The feeling of confidence that I felt at his words was recognisable. He turned back to his cooking, seasoning the raw chicken. “And even if they do, its just a little harmful gossip, it doesn’t mean anything.”

It didn’t bother him obviously. He pretty much basked in the attention, but I decided not to point out the obvious. “Well I don’t like the attention,” I argued instead.

“You won’t have to worry about that.” He fretted, glowering, “I honestly can’t believe you spent almost a month going out of your way to avoid me.”

I huffed, “Fine. I’ll stop going out of my way to ignore you.”

“Can’t you just stop ignoring me all together?”

I smiled, “No.”

“You know, we could have spent that time being friends.” He started cooking the chicken.

I pursed my lips, “You want to be friends with me?” I was surprised to say the least. I was certain he only liked annoying me, and making me embarrassed enough to turn red. I also hadn’t entertained the thought of being friends with him until now. It didn’t seem like such a bad idea; he was easy to talk to. I didn’t exactly have a problem socialising with people, but I did try to keep to myself as much as possible. Pretty boy was different; he was hard to ignore with his constant blabbering, and countless smirks. Surprisingly, despite nagging me at times, I kind of enjoyed his inane company.

“Sure.”

“Fine. Let’s get to know each other first.” He looked at me expectantly while I thought of a question to ask. I decided to not get too personal and just ask him to shoot down rumours around the school. Maya would appreciate that. She had gotten so engrossed in the gossip and she was dying for some real answers. “Are you dating Lena Dunham?”

He snickered, as if he was expecting exactly that, “No.”

I tilted my head, racking my brain for more names he was associated with these past few weeks, “Cecily Kaleson?”

“Nope.”

“What about Sarah Peters?” He shook his head. “Seriously?” I scoffed. “You were making out with her just yesterday!” I exclaimed.

He smiled, placing his elbow on the counter and turned to watch me, “Aurelia, a little kiss does not equate to dating.” We both knew it was far more than just a little kiss. He was trying to be modest.

“So what—” I looked at him in surprise, “You’re actually single?” He nodded. “Get out!” I declared.

An all too familiar smirk planted itself on his lips, “Why? Are you interested, Aurelia?” I slapped his arm. He laughed, shaking his head. “My turn?”

I shrugged, relaxing back against the counter, “I’m an open book.”

“Far from it actually,” he muttered under his breath. A thoughtful look passed his face, “Why don’t you like the name Aurelia?”

I paused, shifting uncomfortably. “I do like it,” I mumbled — a half truth. I didn’t really like it too much until I had heard him say it. “It’s my mom’s name.” He shot me a puzzled look. “My real mom.” He nodded, realising he was treading sensitive territory. I felt a tightness growing between us, more or less feeling awkward.

“So,” Erik started again, after a short silence. “How long have you liked Aubrey?” I almost choked on air. He laughed, easing the tension between us from his previous question, “It’s really too obvious Aurelia.”

“No it isn’t,” I insisted, my face instantly hot. I mentally cursed myself for denying that it isn’t evident, instead of denying that it isn’t even a thing. I groaned, “Have you told him?”

Pretty boy was smirking again, “Nope.”

“Are you going to tell him?”

“Haven’t decided yet,” he shrugged.

I shook my head wildly, poking his chest with my index finger, “Don’t you dare.”