Skeletons In Your Closet

Chapter Thirteen

So that's what happened. Tragic? Yes. Unexpected? Not really. I mean, he's a rock star for Heaven's sake. He was bound to sleep with a groupie or a stripper at some point.

I was pretty heartbroken and felt completely horrible for about two weeks. All I could think was that if I had just gotten over with it and slept with him, he wouldn't have cheated on me. Or if I would have just let it slide, that we would still be together. But after moping around my house for a week and using up all of sick days and vacation at work, Jade finally came over, we had a heart-to-heart, and I learned to get over him. Simple as that.

We had been waiting in line for about almost forty-five minutes now, when a large security guard came up to us.

"Excuse, ma'am, but are you April Walker?" he asked me.

"Umm, yeah," I slowly replied, not knowing what was going on and if I was in trouble or something.

"Come this way please," he said, lifting up the tape that was forming the line.

Jade and I followed him to the front of the club, in through the entrance, and then into the back VIP room. When we got into the room, we saw five very familiar guys sitting around the room, passing around a couple bottles of Jack Daniels and smoking cigarettes.

"April!" a tall, muscular Matt came up and engulfed me in a hug.

"Matt! What are you guys doing here?" I asked the guys as I went around and gave everyone but Zack a huge hug.

"We're performing a show tonight, but SHH! It's a secret!" Brian said and laughed as he hugged me.

After greeting all of the guys, I came to Zack.

"Hello, Zack," I said, giving him a small wave.

"Hey April. I'm glad that you're here tonight. Maybe we can talk later," he replied.

"Yeah, maybe later," I trailed off, sitting in a lounge chair and then pulling Jade into my lap.

"So, April, who's this beautiful woman that you brought with you tonight?" Jimmy asked me, noticing Jade.

"You guys, this is Jade, my best friend in the whole entire universe. But hands off! 'Cause she's mine!" I claimed her by wrapping my arms around her middle.

The seven of us talked for a while, myself trying to avoid any unneeded conversation with Zack. But it was nice to catch up with the rest of the guys; after all, I had dated Zack for almost three years, so the rest of the band and I had gotten pretty close, especially Matt and I.

After drinking (a lot) and talking for about an hour, the guys announced that they had to go play their set. They invited Jade and I to watch the set from the side of the stage, and we eagerly agreed.

As the band walked down the hall to the stage, Jade and I followed them, a few feet behind.

"Matt likes you," she half-whispered, half-giggled into my ear.

"What makes you say that?" I asked.

"The way that he looks at you and the way he talks to you. And the whole time we were talking, he was just staring at you. And like, when we got here, how he gave you that huge hug,"

"That doesn't mean that he likes me," I tried to reason.

"Just think about it," she replied.

When we got to the stage, I gave Johnny, Brian, Jimmy, and even Zack a good-luck hug.

"What about me? Do I not get one?" Matt whined.

I motioned for Matt to come over to me and when he did, I leaned up, placed my arms around his neck, planted a kiss on his cheek, and whispered in his ear, "Good luck."

Matt had a stunned look on his face as he hugged and kissed me back and whispered, "Thanks," into my ear and walked onto the stage.

"See, I told you that he likes you," Jade taunted me, noticing his look.

"Maybe," I replied, paying attention to Matt.

I didn't know exactly what was going on or what was happening. Maybe it was the alcohol talking or maybe it was because of what Jade had said, but I did know one thing: I was beginning to have totally new feelings for Matt that I didn't have before.