Skeletons In Your Closet

Chapter Five

It was the day after the concert, I was supposed to be writing an essay for the history class that I flunked in high school and was now taking at the community college, but there I was, sitting by my phone, praying that Zack would call me. After sitting there for three hours, it was finally four o’clock and I had almost given up hope. But then, to my surprise, the phone rang.

I let it ring twice, I mean, I didn't want to let Zack (if it even was him) know that I had been hovering over the phone all day long waiting for him to call, and then I answered, "Hello?"

"Yeah, is, uh, April there?" the man, who I desperately hoped to be Zack, on the other line asked.

"This is she," I replied as I tried to suppress my giggles.

"Oh, hi. This is Zack. From last night," he sounded nervous. Was that a good thing or a bad thing?

"Oh, hi," I replied. What was I supposed to say? Was I supposed to act surprised that he’d actually called me? Or was I supposed to act cool, like I knew that he was going to call me and that it was no big deal?

"So, I was wondering if you wanted to go out to dinner tonight at that Italian restaurant on Third Street, you know the one that just opened like a month ago? If you didn't have any plans already, I mean," Zack stumbled out.

"Yeah, I'd really like that," I replied, thankful that he wasn't there to see me blush.

"So, how's seven?" Zack asked.

"Seven's perfect," I finished by giving my Zack my address and then said goodbye.

Thank heavens no one else was home, because I celebrated by running through my house screaming at the top up my lungs. When I was finished celebrating, I realized that it was now four-thirty and I only had two and a half hours to get ready!

I decided to take a quick fifteen minute shower to wash my hair and shave before my date tonight. When I got out, I dried off, put on some lotion, and put a little bit of mousse in my hair.

I then went into my room and tried to figure out what exactly to wear. I knew that the restaurant was pretty formal, but that was pretty much it. This was going to take a while. Should I wear something skimpy and revealing, or classy and sophisticated? Should I wear bright or dark colors? A skirt or a dress? I finally decided on a simple outfit: a black dress with a few red accents and a pair of black high heels.

At exactly 6:55, I was finally ready. I made sure that I had everything that I needed in my purse and made sure that all the windows and doors in the house were locked and then waited for Zack to come pick me up.

I watched the second hand on the clock pass quickly, and right as the minute hand hit 7:02, I heard my doorbell ring. I counted to three and walked to the door to answer it. When I opened it, I couldn’t believe what I saw.