Love Counts for Everything

Love Counts For Everything

Paige was laughing when Matt walked into the room.

“What’s so funny?” He asked his wife and she looked up at him and he could tell by the look in her eyes, she was either up to something or one of their three children had done something.

“Aidan and Melinda arguing about who’s birthday is this month.”

“Ahh” He walked over and picked up his two year old son and Aidan grinned at him. “Your sisters birthday is this month buddy. Yours is in December.”

“’Cember!” Aidan said grinning and Matt held his son close. Paige smiled. A moment later Sophie ran into the room followed by two of her cousins and shouting.

“Aunt Andi and Uncle Zack are here!”

“Well seeing as Megan and Alana just chased you into the room…” Matt said trailing off as his little sister walked into the room holding his other niece.

“Trade you.” Andrea said and reached for Aidan as Riley reached for her uncle. Paige moved from where she was sitting on the floor and smiled as Zack walked in carrying Riley’s diaper bag.

“Please dear God, let me hold my nephew… I’m surrounded by women…” Matt shook his head.

“Talk to your wife.” Was all he said as he lead the way outside.

“Daddy…” Zack turned to look at his oldest.

“What Alana?” He asked.

“When are we eating? I’m hungry.”

“As soon as the pizza gets here. That is if your Uncle remembered to order it.” Alana looked at Matt. He stared at Zack, and then he turned to his wife.

“Paige!”

“Yes dear?” She asked as she walked out with Melinda.

“Did you order the pizza?”

“Yes.” And she shook her had when he sighed in relief. “Men.” she muttered and Andi agreed with her.

“Hey quit talking about us.” Zack muttered. He looked at Aidan. “Your Aunt and Mom are against us pal.”

“Hey, don’t corrupt my son!” Paige said laughing. Megan, Alana, Melinda, and Sophie had run out to the play set and were currently playing a game of tag, using the slide as base. Riley giggled as Matt played with her. Andrea laughed as her daughter cuddled into Matt.

“I wasn’t! I was just telling him how it was.”

“Whatever.” Paige muttered as she heard a car door out front. She kissed Matt on the cheek and pulled his wallet out of his back pocket and he rolled his eyes. She just grinned. “You forgot, so you pay.” And she walked inside. Only the problem was, it wasn’t the pizza delivery it was Janet, Val’s mother. Paige narrowed her eyes and she did her best not to clinch her fist. Ever since Valary had died giving birth to Melinda, who had been two months early, Janet and her husband had been harassing Matt and Paige about getting her from them.

“What the hell do you want?” Paige growled as she slammed the front door behind her, which effectively alerted the other adults that were out back that something was wrong. Paige tucked Matt’s wallet into her own back pocket before she threw it at the woman’s head.

“I want my granddaughter!” Janet said.

“You’re not getting her, we’ve made that very clear to you.” Matt said walking out at that moment. He had handed his niece to her mother the moment he heard the front door slam and moved in the direction that his wife had.

“You’ve no right to keep her away from us!” Janet said and a moment later another car pulled up. Paige raised and eyebrow when Michelle, Valary’s twin got out.

“Mom, what the hell are you doing here? Dad fucking told you to stay away from them.”

“Who’s side are you on Michelle!?” Janet exclaimed.

“I’m on the side that has my niece’s best interest at heart. That’s who’s, and that side just happens to be Matt and Paige’s.” Janet stared at her daughter. The only one that she had left.

“How can you side with people that won’t even let you see your own niece?”

“Just leave mother. This is getting old fast. I’m tired of having to step between them and you. All you fucking do is harass them, even the courts have said she’s better off here.” Michelle watched as her mother opened her mouth to speak and then shut her mouth once more. She stormed to her car and they watched as she left, making her way down the winding drive. Michelle just shook her head and sighed.

“I hoped to catch her before she actually got here. Sorry guys.”

“It’s alright. Although I think it’s pretty impressive that I heard the front door slam and we were in the back yard.” Matt said.

“Yeah if you call having a beach a back yard.” Michelle said laughing. Paige grinned.

“I think that’s her problem. Look where Melinda’s growing up. I don’t think she likes that all that much.”

“Especially since the place is part of your inheritance, and not something simple, like where me and Val grew up.” Michelle said.

“C’mon, Melinda wants to see you. She’s been waiting all day to see you.” Matt said just as another car made it’s way up the drive. Matt turned his head and laughed when he saw the kid behind the wheels eyes go huge. “I think it’d be best if I went inside.” Matt said and Paige just shook her head and pulled his wallet from her pocket. She took the money she needed from it and passed it over to the awestruck teen. He couldn’t be more than seventeen or eighteen. Michelle helped her carry the pizza’s and few extra’s that she had ordered inside and Matt held the door for them.

“I don’t think he’s ever delivered to a place out here before.”

“That or it was the sight of Matt that had him awestruck.” Michelle said and Matt just rolled his eyes. The trio stepped out onto the back porch a moment later and Melinda grinned when she saw her other Aunt.

----

“I can’t wait! Melinda is going to love her present!” Devyn exclaimed as she walked from the Mall with her Dad and Mom, well her step mom, but she called her Mom. And she knew that Zoë didn’t mind. Desirae smiled and held her Dad’s hand as they walked.

“I hope she likes both her presents. And the one that’s from Trevor.” Desirae said and Jacoby laughed. She just grinned up at her Dad. Her Mom was carrying her little brother.

“Well hell look who I see.” Zoë said and Jacoby glanced in the direction that she indicated and took both his daughter’s hands so they wouldn’t take off running to see their friends. He glanced sideways and saw the wicked glint in his wife’s eyes.

“Hey One, Blaire, Brandan, Brianna, how are ya’ll doing?” Jimmy rolled his eyes as they crossed to the Shaddix family.

“Been a long time since you called me that.” Jimmy said and Blaire shook her head and tried not to laugh.

“Well yeah, have to do it every now and then… I can’t resist.”

“So what brings the five of you out?” Blaire asked as she placed a kiss to Trevor’s forehead as he smiled in her direction.

“We just got done doing some last minute birthday shopping for Melinda.” Jacoby said.

“See, we’re not the only ones!” Brianna said and Blaire laughed at her daughter.

“Well we’ll see you guys later, we’ve got to get home and feed these three.” Zoë said and they continued to their car. Jacoby glanced at his wife and smiled at her moments later she got the kids in the car while he put the few things that they had bought in the trunk. When he got behind the wheel he leaned over and placed a kiss to her lips and heard his girls giggling in the back seat.

“I love you Coby.”

“Love you more Zoë.” She grinned and left it at that. A moment later she glanced back at Devyn as she spoke.

“Can we at Fiona’s?” Zoë smiled and Jacoby glanced at his wife. They had renamed it about five years ago after their grandmother.

“Yeah. Why not.” Zoë said and watched the happiness spread over her children’s faces.

----

“Adri, Eli, stop arguing this minute, or we won’t eat here, we’ll go home and fix lunch.” Brian told his twins and they stopped and looked at their dad. He could see the shock on their faces. But they stopped arguing and Destinee rolled her eyes. She held Alex, their one and a half year old as he rested his head on her shoulder and watched his siblings bicker. They were about to walk in when they noticed Aly getting Michaela from the car as Johnny grabbed her diaper bag.

“Hey, Johnny!” Brian yelled and the man glanced up and in their direction.

“Hey Brian.” Aly glanced around and smiled seeing their friends. They all watched as a moment later the Shaddix’s pulled in.

“Well damn, I’d say gangs all here, but the Bakers and the Sanders are having a pizza lunch today.” Aly remarked and they all walked to the door together and waited for the others to get to them, and then they walked in together. Zoë smile when she saw Josey sitting at the counter going over a list for the restaurant.

“Ms Josey!” The woman looked up and smiled when she saw Zoë and her family and friends. She hugged Devyn as she ran to her.

“Well now, how are my favorite kids?” Josey asked and six kids grinned and chorused ‘fine’. She laughed and grabbed menus only raising an eyebrow waiting for the adults to choose a table. They chose a table towards the back, next to the completely empty kids tables, that were blocked off by a low barricade with enough room for the kids to walk through two at a time and sit. It was something that Paige and Zoë had talked about adding once they started having kids, and their friends did. And this way, they didn’t have to keep as many booster seats and high chairs in the restaurant. That and it ended up being really popular with the kids.

“Mom?” Brianna asked after talking quickly with her brother.

“Yes Brianna?” Blaire asked.

“Can me and Brandan have a soda?” Blaire glanced briefly at her husband and Brian rolled his eyes at the two as they had a silent conversation with their eyes about it.

“Yes.” and the twins sat down grinning. Brian looked at his own twins and knew the question was coming a mile away.

“Are you going to behave?” he asked and Destinee rolled her eyes this time.

“Yes sir.” Adriana and Eli said at the same time.

“Then yes.”

“Yay!” They said and sat. Devyn glanced at her dad.

“Can I have chocolate Milk?” Desirae asked.

“You don’t have to ask to have milk Des.” Zoë said. “What do you want Dev?”

“I don’t know, but if I decide that I want Dr. Pepper, can I?” Jacoby looked at his daughter and shook his head.

“Yes.”

“Thank you.” When Josey sat the kids menu’s in front of them the children got down to the serious business of deciding what they wanted to eat.

----

Melinda woke up on August tenth and grinned. She jumped up out of her bed and dashed down the hall to her sisters room. She didn’t bother knocking, but that didn’t bug her in the least. She jumped onto Sophie’s bed and Sophie woke up almost immediately.

“Mel, what the heck are you doing?” Sophie asked.

“C’mon, help me wake Mom and Dad.”

“Mel, it’s early, go back to bed…” Then she remembered what day it was. And remembered that she had done this very thing on her seventh birthday as well. “Happy birthday Sis.” Sophia said and she bounded out of bed and out of the room behind Melinda. They peeked in their parents room down the hall before they opened the door and ran inside and jumped on the bed. They laughed when their Mom and Dad caught them before they could land on them.

“No fair! You were awake.” Melinda said giggling.

“We were expecting it this time.” Matt said. Paige grinned as she pulled Melinda to her and hugged her.

“Happy birthday sweetie.” She said and hugged her. Matt grabbed her next and held her close for a moment. Paige knew it was because, when Melinda was born, they had almost lost her as well as Valary.

“Happy birthday Baby Girl.” Matt said and Sophie smiled. She had been told, as had Melinda as soon as they were old enough to understand, what had happened to Melinda’s real mom. But Paige never treated Melinda any different than she did Sophie or Aidan, and Matt never paid any special treatment to any of his kids, except on their birthdays. For Sophie and Melinda, that meant that they were crowned Princesses for the day.

“Why don’t you go get dressed and we’ll go out to breakfast?” Paige said and both girls darted down towards the door. Melinda glanced back at her parents.

“Can I wear my birthday dress?” She asked and she watched her parents smile.

“Of course.” And Paige moved from the bed to find the crown that they had bought for Melinda this year. It was almost identical to the one they had bought Sophie. The only difference was the coloring and the stone in it. Once she found it she moved to the dresser to grab her clothes and she watched as Matt, who had dressed quickly, moved to the baby’s room and began to get Aidan ready. She walked over and glanced into the room. The colors had changed, the room was no longer the purple it had been for the girls, but it was all shades of blue imaginable, with hints of green mixed into it. She smiled and Matt glanced back at her.

“What?” He asked as he saw the look in her eyes.

“Nothing, just thinking about they day the nursery was first painted and set up.”

“What about it?” Matt asked.

“I think, I was the luckiest woman in the world that day.” And she moved to Matt who glanced down to where she still wore the ring that he had given her eight years ago.

“You were five months pregnant and I was the worlds stupidest man alive.”

“Or the smartest.” Paige said grinning and she wrapped her arms around his neck and before placing her lips to his, she placed a kiss to her son’s cheek. Matt grinned at her.

“Smartest?”

“Yeah, I think I’m the only woman that ever got I’m An Asshole M&M’s. Not to mention billboards with an apology on them. Beside’s something you probably didn’t know,” And this time she smirked, “I was about this close,” She continued holding her fingers about a centimeter apart, “to breaking and running back to you.” Matt just stared at her.

“Now you tell me.” He muttered and they turned when the girls walked into the room giggling. Paige smiled at Melinda who looked beautiful in her green dress. It brought out the green that was in her eyes. Paige handed the crown to Matt who took it and placed it on her head. She grinned and hugged him. Paige smiled.

“I wish Grams was here.” Paige said suddenly and Matt turned to her.

“Honey are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” She said and she took Aidan from him and knelt beside the girls and pulled them to her. Matt watched as she just cried.

“Mommy are you okay?” Sophie asked. And Matt recognized the signs almost immediately.

“Well fuck.” he muttered and knelt down beside his wife. “Paige?” She turned her head to look at him. She saw the single question in his eyes. And she closed hers and nodded. He just sighed and pulled her to him. She had gotten like this when she was pregnant with Aidan as well.

“I’m fine Sophie. I promise.” Paige told her daughter. When Melinda looked at her she sighed. “Mommy’s going to have another baby… or two.” She said the last part quieter than the first. Matt just stared at her.

“Twins…?” He asked trailing off in shock.

“I only found out two days ago, it hasn’t really sunk in yet. Matt I’m so sorry I didn’t…”

“Shh, it’s okay. It’s okay. Everything’s fine.” She moved from the kids and set Aidan on the ground and he took his sisters hands and the three of them walked out of the room. Matt pulled her to him and held her tight. “I love you Paige.”

“You’re not mad?”

“Why the hell would I be mad? It’s not like we don’t have anywhere for them. We have plenty of room, and we know we can handle two at once. Sophie and Melinda are so close in age, that they…”

“Might as well have been twins? Or it might as well have been like taking care of twins?” Paige asked, her tears slowly subsiding. Matt smiled and nodded. Paige sighed and together she and Matt walked from the room.

----

That afternoon, the adults were all out on the deck watching as the older kids played in the water and on the beach. Paige smiled as Devyn got the other kids to start up a game of tag. She knew the kids liked playing it on the beach better than they liked playing it on the front lawn. Or up by the play set. She sat on the deck watching Aidan, and Trevor play. Michaela, Riley, and Alexander were all inside asleep. They had baby monitors outside with them, but they also knew that the staff, if they were near the room, would check on the children as well. They loved all the children. And they knew that Justine, who had grown up in the house, because her mother had always worked there, had asked to help with the children whenever, because she wanted practice before her own was born. So none of them really minded. Matt glanced at Paige and she sighed. She looked at the others and stood walking to Matt.

“Hey guys, shut up for a minute.” Paige said. Everyone turned to look at her.

“What?” Zack asked. He had his arms wrapped around Andi’s waist and it no longer bothered Matt that the man held his sister in front of him.

“I’m pregnant.” Paige said and several people just stared at her.

“Wait what?” Jacoby asked not sure he had heard her right.

“I’m having twins.” She said and suddenly the girls descended on her and the guys congratulated Matt. Even her daughters friends parents, who they had become friends with hugged and congratulated them. A moment later Bridget walked out pushing a cart and grinning. Gabi walked out behind her and so did three other staff, each carrying one of the babies. Bridget glanced around and saw all the kids in the water. She yelled out to them and suddenly sixteen kids were running towards the adults.

Father’s took their babies from the staff and Matt laughed as the other staff that was at the house, and didn’t have the day off walked outside. The girls liked all of them, so Melinda had insister on making them invitations as well to her party. Paige nor Matt had minded. Melinda laughed as her Dad placed her crown back on her head and the other girls all grinned when Paige handed out the plastic ones that she had bought them. Brandan, was just glad that no one tried to make him wear one. So was Eli. Before she blew out the candles Melinda closed her eyes and made her wish.

There was a light shining in her eyes when she opened them and blew out the candles. A moment later Bridget and Gabi were serving cake and ice cream to the kids. Matt wrapped his arm around Paige and she leaned against him and smiled. Today had been a good day. Zack looked at his in laws and smiled. They were happy. He grinned and looked at Jacoby holding Trevor. He was smiling. Hell they all were.

----

Later that night when the kids were all passed out in the rec room on the second floor and the four babies were asleep in the nursery, they lounged in the family room spread out much like they had been eight years ago Brian glanced at the others.

“How about some wine and a movie… you know for old times sake?” He asked. Paige laughed.

“I know just the movie, Zoë, Coby get the wine.” Paige said as she stood.

“And no tearing one another’s clothes off in the kitchen this time.” Matt said and Coby laughed. The couple walked back in a few minutes later and Destinee poured the wine as Paige put the movie in. Johnny shook his head when she hit play. It was The Fast and the Furious.

“Hey Blaire, Jimmy, actually pay attention to the movie this time.” Zack said.

“Yeah, and Andi better not fall asleep this time.” Blaire said. They all laughed and settled in to watch the movie. The only difference between eight years ago and now was that they were all happy and they all had kids upstairs sleeping that they loved with everything that they had in them to love with.

“You know, I can’t fucking have any of that wine this time around either.” Paige muttered and they all laughed.

“Grams would be so proud of us.” Zoë said as she laid her head on Jacoby’s shoulder and curled into her husband. Paige looked at her cousin and grinned.

“Of course she would. We managed to build more to the foundation that she set for us, for ourselves and our own children.” Paige said and she moved to hug her cousin and just held on for a moment.

“We’re all family. Even if it’s not by blood.” Zoë said, glancing from Jimmy, one of the very first friends that she had made then to each and everyone of the others. “Because, despite everything, we’re still here and our friendships are forged in fucking steel.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, I was just sitting at the computer the other day and thinking I want to write something fluffy and well, I went back over Speak Low If You Speak Love and decided that I would write a One Shot Sequel to it. And I do believe that it turned out pretty awesome. Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Lovez && Hugz && DeathBatKisses
xSweet.Afterlifex

Post Song:
Use Somebody - Kings of Leon