I Am Polaris

7

I helped Hank push the last of my boxes into the storage box and sighed; it was odd seeing all my stuff in boxes. I had made sure each was carefully labelled so I knew what it was if I was looking for it in a hurry. Something Alex had huffed over as it took extra time as I went through and wrote on the box what was in it. But it would save me time later, which is always a good thing.

“Are you done now?” Alex asked sullenly from his position on the hood of the car we had borrowed from Xavier. I smiled sarcastically at him.

“Yes Alex we are done.” He narrowed his eyes at me.

“How exactly have I become the bad guy here?”

“How exactly should I know?”

“Give over you two. We need to get back to the house. We’ve been gone far too long.”

“I’ll dri-“

“No you won’t Alex.” Hank said over him. “Keys.” Alex sighed and handed Hank the keys. I grinned. I loved how Alex just did what Hank told him to. I wondered faintly if it had always been that way. Alex didn’t seem very happy about complying.

Me and Alex climbed into the passenger seats, me in the back, Alex in the front.

“Hank.” I said once we’d set off. “Can I use your lab tonight?”

“Sure. Not mine anyway, it Xavier’s technically.”

“Yeah, but it is yours. Thanks.” Hank glanced back at me. I smiled. He frowned. “What?”

“Still surprised that you’re a scientist.” Alex smirked and turned his head to look at me.

“You look nothing like a scientist. You look like a four-year-old.” He commented, watching for my reaction. I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Yeah? Well you look like your face has been bashed in with a cricket bat but I’m not complaining.” Alex rolled his eyes and turned back round. Hank grinned and went back to driving the car. It was a lie. I actually thought Alex was reasonably attractive, but, you know, don’t add fuel to the ego fire and all.

When we returned to the mansion, Sean was sat on the steps up to the front door in what looked like a yellow suit of moron. I frowned at him.

“Why is he wearing a jumpsuit?” I asked quietly as I got out of the car. Both Alex and Hank grinned.

“It’s a suit. Helps him with his power.” Hank said, looking down at me.

“Oh. What is his mutation?” I asked, suddenly curious. I hadn’t really thought about it, but I knew all the others’ mutations. Hank was blue. Alex had some sort of energy thing. Xavier was telepathic.

“My mutation is being awesome.” Sean called over, having obviously overheard what I asked. I grinned.

“Seriously Sean.” I said as I reached him, “What’s your thing?”

“Seriously. Being awesome is my mutation>”

“Sean.” I said, serious. He grinned again.

“Sonic manipulation Xavier calls it. I can scream in sonic.” I frowned.

“Like the sonic screwdriver?”

“Sort of.” Hank replied from behind me. “More vibration related with Alex than magic though.”

“The sonic screwdriver is not magic. It’s science.” Hank shook his head with a smiled, I poked my tongue out at him and his smile grew slightly. I turned back to Sean. “Show me.”

“I’ll show you mine if you show me yours.” He said with a mischievous smile.

“Grow up Sean.” Alex said, leaning against the stone gatepost next to the stairs. I rolled my eyes.

“I can’t. People get hurt when I use mine.”

“Only because it’s controlling you, not the other way round.” Said Xavier’s voice from above us. I looked up at him. He had rolled himself to be above us almost silently. “You’re pushing it down. All the time. You need to relax and let yourself use it. It will make it easier to control.” I shook my head.

“No. That’s not how it works. I’ve tried. Last time I relaxed my landlord got crushed by two flights of emergency stairwell.”

“You managed to throw all that metal at Magneto when I came to get you.” Alex pointed out. “That must have taken control.” I shrugged,

“That was different. I was angry.”

“So get angry.” Alex replied simply. I frowned at him.

“It’s dangerous to get angry. People get hurt. That’s my point. Aren’t you listening?”

“I said get angry. Not get angry at someone.” He moved to sit down on the step next to Sean. Xavier shifted his wheelchair slightly and continued to study me. I was getting a little uncomfortable now, each of them were studying me.

“Charlotte. Try to move the dish.” Xavier said, pointing past me into the distance. I turned to look at what he was pointing at. It was the receiver dish on the edge of town. I sighed.

“Xavier. I can’t.”

“Just try.” I sighed and attempted to concentrate my power on the dish. After a few minutes of pulling on it I gave up.

“See. I can’t. I told you.”

“Hmm.” Xavier replied. He clearly had just ignored my statement and was trying to think of a way past it. I rolled my eyes.

“I can’t. I just can’t.” He moved his wheelchair slightly and gestured for me to walk up the stairs. I did so, standing next to him.

“I wouldn’t normally suggest this. But Alex may be on to something. Try thinking about something that made you angry or distressed in some way.” I glanced down at him.

“You’re joking right?”

“Nope. I never joke.” He said with a smile. He pointed at the dish again. “Move it.” I licked my lips and turned back to look at the dish. I stared at it for a moment, trying to find something that would make me angry enough to have the power to move it. I sighed, it was useless trying to do it with them all watching me. Xavier seemed to read my mind, or maybe he actually did, because he made the rest of them go inside a moment after the thought passed. When the others had all disappeared into the house I tried to concentrate again, finding nothing I could focus on to rile me up.

“Xavier I can’t do this.” He moved his wheelchair backwards out of my view.

“Yes you can. Just try harder.” I sighed and held my hand up in front of me. I pulled harder than I ever had before, giving myself a headache in the process. But the dish did seem to shiver slightly. I pulled a little harder. “Charlotte stop.”

“But I’ve nearly-“

“Yes. Very good. But you’re bleeding.” I let go of the energy I was using to pull the dish and brought my hand up to my face. I had made myself get a nosebleed. I exhaled in annoyance. Xavier smiled slightly.

“What?” I snapped at him.

“You are far different to Eric.” I frowned questioningly, trying to stem the flow of blood slightly. “When he moved the dish he was ecstatic. You’re annoyed you couldn’t move it further.” I shrugged, now stemming the flow with my sleeve.

“Well, it is annoying.” The professor laughed.

“Yes. I can imagine it is. Go find Hank. He’ll help you stop the nosebleed.”

“Thank you Professor.” I called back as I reached the house. He was looking out over the view.

“What for?”

“For helping me learn.” He smiled graciously, then turned away to look out over the grounds again. I turned and went into the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
XD