Sequel: Smoke and Fire
Status: Complete! ^.^ READ THE SEQUEL :D

Back to the Start

Prologue

3 years ago...

"I thought we had something. Did that mean anything at all to you?", demanded Garrett angrily.

"You were always gone! And I'm at school! And there are thousands of girls throwing themselves at you every day! I was lonely and drunk. I'm sorry!", cried Rachael.

"But sorry doesn't change anything, does it?", replied Garrett coldly. Sighing, all his energy seemed to drain out of him. "Never mind. We're done."

As he turns around to walk away, Rachael lurches forward and grabs his wrist. "Garebear! I'm sorry! It'll never happen again!"

Shaking her small hand off of him, he stares at her. "Don't call me that!", he says sharply. "I thought you loved me, and trusted me. But evidently not. I have to go. Hope you have a nice life, Rachael."

"Gary! Please! I did! I still do! Just don't go!"

Frustrated, he shouts, "Stop lying! Just lies after lies is what you've been saying! I imagined a family, a house, a dog, EVERYTHING, with you!" He begins to walk again. Turning and speaking quietly, he says, "You're the one who threw it all away."

She stares brokenly at his retreating back, wishing for nothing more than the old days, when they were both in love and everything was perfect.