Sequel: Smoke and Fire
Status: Complete! ^.^ READ THE SEQUEL :D

Back to the Start

14 - Rachael POV

14 - Rachael POV 

Since my hearts already beating at a hundred miles an hour, I might as well as run, since I didn't get a chance this morning. Changing into more comfortable clothes and slipping my sneakers on, I grab my iPod and head out. 

While running, I see a dark green Ford pickup truck slow down next to me. Oh god. Please don't let me be kidnapped, raped, and murdered here. Sneaking a glance at the driver, I see a very familiar face. What? Oh. Ooh...should I stop? I think I've already dealt with the worst of it. His windows open. "John, I know it's you. What do you want?"

He pulls to the curb, forcing me to stop as well. "Garrett was acting weird at practice yesterday. I figured he saw you. And then I was just driving to Pat's, and I saw you too, obviously." 

"Ok. You saw me. What do you want?"

"I want to know if you said anything to Garrett. He's happy now. Don't mess that up for him again. He has a gorgeous girlfriend, and we all love her. She's sweet and good to him. And she doesn't lie to him either."

Stiffening at his implication, I reply, "I know he does, and I know he's happy. And I didn't say anything to him. Did he tell you that we saw each other at Electric last night? And that he wants us to be friends again? And that I was just with him not even an hour ago? I can see that he's happy. I want him to be. I know I screwed up, but he said that we've both grown up, and we could move past that now. He also said that everyone else has gotten past this already, and that everyone would love to see me again. But he was wrong, wasn't he? At least about you."

John looks taken aback by my outburst. Quietly, he apologizes. "Sorry. I don't mean to accuse you of anything. And I guess I just came off too strong. But none of us guys want to see him hurt again by you. We forgive you because he has, and because he's moved on. So I'm glad you guys are friend. Again, sorry for sounding like a douche. Want to come listen to us practice?"

I wrinkle my nose. "Gary already offered. Doesn't Tim have something to tell you guys? And I want to finish my jog. Thanks though."

"Another time then. It's good seeing you Rach. And Garrett's right. The boys would probably like to see you."

Waving at him, my run is resumed. If he's moved on, then was he acting weird? Maybe...no. Why am I even thinking these crazy thoughts? We're done. We've been done. And just because we're friends doesn't mean we'll ever be as close as we used too. It's in his nature to trust and love, but there'll probably always be something there that will keep us slightly apart. It won't ever be the same again. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Another one! I wasn't gonna, but I was excited when I finished 16 xD its really long and awesome. but my updates are gonna slow down now, cuz there are only a few completely done chapters left. Plus, it's AP week and I have flute all-state, and I really need to practice my piece. Gahh. Ok. But enjoy ^.^