Sequel: Smoke and Fire
Status: Complete! ^.^ READ THE SEQUEL :D

Back to the Start

17 - Garrett POV

I don't get it. Falyn told me it was ok. And now she's mad. Pacing back and forth, I get the huge urge to throw something. But this is John's house, so I decide to punch the wall. That actually felt good. However, as I wind up for another punch, I hear someone clear their throat behind me. Shit. Rachael is standing behind me looking worried. 

"Oh. Rachael. I, uhh, didn't see you there."

"Obviously.", she replies drily. "Are you ok? John sent me here to tell you that they need you to practice."

"Right. Practice. Did you...hear any of that?", I ask unsurely. If she did, she probably wouldn't have stood there. But...I really hope not. We just started talking again. 

Rachael smirks at me. "You mean you trying to tear down John's wall? Sure I did. Lucky you're not much of a fighter." She stops talking all of a sudden, her face falling. "I didn't mean it that way. I just--sorry.", she whispers, and runs out of the room. 

What way? Not much of a fighter. Oh. Ok. I get it. But Fay...what do I do about her? Ughh. I start pacing again, with an urge to punch the wall, but I know it won't do me any good. I need to go practice now. 

When I walk through the door, everyone is staring. Except for Sam and Dirk, who're getting ready to leave. Looking around in confusion, I ask, "Where are you guys going? And what happened to Rachael?"

Kennedy replies to me. "Rachael ran out of here, looking like she was about to cry. And Sam and Dirk are going to make sure she's alright. Dude. What happened in there?"

Shit. She did hear what I said. What do I say to her now? 

"Yo. Garrett!" It's John this time. "What happened in there?"

"I just. I don't know! Nothing. Fay and I got into a fight, and I think she heard us. Some of the things I said were...pretty harsh I guess. But. Fay was mad. And, now Rach is too. This is such a mess. What do I do?"

At this point, Dirk and Sam had left already. The guys just stare at me. Sighing, I ask, "Can we just practice? I can't think about this anymore."

A few songs later, John stops. "This isn't working. Garrett, your mind is obviously thousands of miles away, either on Falyn or Rachael. I don't know which. But you can't practice now. And I just got a text from Dirk. Rach'a car is in her driveway, but she won't answer the door. They have no clue if she's inside or not."

The park. She's definitely there. She used to climb through her window and run there without her parents finding out. It was definitely a piece of cake for Rach to avoid Dirk and Sam. 

"Why are you just standing there?", asks Pat. "Don't you want to find out of she's ok?"

"What? Oh. Right. I'm going. Sorry about this. Can one of you pack my bass up and drop it off? Thanks.", I say hurriedly, while rushing out. 

I quickly drive towards the park and scan the area surrounding it. Nope. Then I head into the park and towards a clump of bushes. When we were in high school, we found that there was a patch of grass that was completely covered by the bushes. If she ever needed to think alone, that's where Rachael would go. Walking closer, I could hear sniffles coming from behind the bushes. Yupp. That's definitely her. I walk quietly towards her. "Hey Rach. If you wanted to be alone, you probably should have gone somewhere nobody would guess." 

She looks up at me. "Why are you even here?" Her face is tear-streaked. Even so, she still looks like a supermodel. 

"Can I...sit?", I ask cautiously. She nods and scoots over as I fit myself into the tiny space. "Why'd you tell me you didn't hear what I told Fay?"

"What? Was I supposed to? Do you expect me to ask you why you said what you said? It's just Rachael. I'm just the ex who broke your heart. Why would you even talk to me ever again?"

I have no clue what to say to that. 

Calming down, she says, "I get where she's coming from. And I get why you said what you said. I'm not mad. But it doesn't mean I don't feel bad about it every time I see you. It doesn't mean I'm not slightly jealous of Falyn for meaning something to you. And it doesn't mean that I still don't miss you every time I'm lonely. But I know. I'm the one who threw all of our dreams away."

I still don't know what to say to that. All I can think to say is, "So you're not mad at me?"

"No," she replies wearily. "I'm not mad. But I know you don't want to be here. Go. Go kiss and make up with your girlfriend. Just for future advice. Listen to me when I say I don't want to be introduced to someone."

Just as I was getting ready to leave, her words sank in. "Wait. What do you mean I don't want to be here? I came to look for you to make sure you were ok."

"No," she corrected. "You came to make sure I wasn't mad, and I'm gonna guess because Sam couldn't find me and someone passed the word onto you, so you came here. Because let's be honest, where else would I go? And also, no one besides for you knows of this hiding spot."

I look at her. Was she always this intuitive? "Well, yea. You're right about that I guess. But it's also because I care. Plus, I don't even know how to make it up to Falyn anyways."

Rachael snorts. "Well, don't plan on asking me to help you out. Fly out there yourself and figure it out."

Fly? Oh! That's perfect. "Thanks Rachael!", I exclaim. "That's perfect!"

Looking bewildered, she asks, "What did I say?"

"Fly! I'll fly to New York City and surprise her."

She looks surprised. "Oh. I didn't mean that literally. But uhm, fine. But--"

Her words are cut off as I give her a hug. "I have to go book my flight now! Thanks again Rachael!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Today's update :D another big one ^.^