Sequel: Smoke and Fire
Status: Complete! ^.^ READ THE SEQUEL :D

Back to the Start

24 - Rachael POV

It's been almost a week since we actually spoke to each other. We've interacted, sure. But we never actually talked. I can't do this anymore. "We need to talk.", I text him. "Starbucks. 20 minutes."

I head over first to wait for him, sitting at a stool near the window. Looking around, I see a few couples hand in hand, laughing and having coffee. It makes my heart clench. Nick never did anything like that with me. Simple dates were things that Garrett and I did, whether it was a coffee run, a movie at home, stargazing, or just hanging out at the park. It's moments like this that I miss it. Soon enough, I see the familiar yellow car park outside. When he walks in and looks around, I call, "Gare!"

Seeing me, he walks over. "So now you want to talk to me? Did you order anything yet?"

"Oh. Uhmm, no. I was waiting for you. Let's order. Then I'll talk."

I get my usual medium caramel frap and he gets his medium iced coffee. We sit back down. This time, I didn't know how to start. "Soo...thanks for coming.", I said.

Scoffing, "Stop acting like a stranger Rach. You asked me to come for a reason. What is it?"

"Fine. I'll tell you. The reason is there is no reason. No reason for us to not talk. It was so much easier to just think that you hated me and never wanted to see my face again than deal with the fact that we're something...like, semi-friends, again and not talk. And to be honest, it completely sucks!"

"And the ever-so-proud Rachael admits that she likes having me as a friend.", jokes Garrett. 

"But I do want you to be happy. I wasn't kidding. So I guess I'm saying that it really sucks to not be able to talk to you, but if you and Falyn have made up and it's better this way, then I'll deal with it."

"You're actually ridiculous Rachael. Did you know that? I'm me. Do you really think that I would tell you to not talk to me?"

I shake my head. "I don't want to hear your words. I want to hear your mind. What do YOU want, not what you think I want to hear."

"What I want?", he asks hesitantly. My heartbeat races. And I wonder if I should have just left it at what he said before. "I want to be able to talk to one of my best friends, even if she's my ex and broke my heart into pieces at one point in our lives."

Blushing, "Oh. Well. In that case. Good to know I guess. Can we go now?"

Getting up, he puts his arm around my shoulders. "So what do we do now Rach? Gossip like little girls and catch up on each other's lives."

Leaning my head into his shoulder and snaking my arm around his waist, "It's been a week, silly boy. Let's just...walk around."

When we walk outside, I slip my sunglasses on. His arm is still slung comfortably on my shoulders. He starts talking. Just about nothing and everything. I listen and laugh, with nothing else on my mind. I'd almost forgotten what this felt like. He starts turning into a vintage shop to our right. Recognizing it, I steer him away. "Oh no you don't Gare. No Star Wars today. If you want, we can go to the record shop and talk about your creepy man-crush on Ryan Adams."

"Hey!", he protests. "Don't hate on Adams. He is the man."

"Oh? I thought that's what you are."

"I definitely am.  But he is too."

Rolling my eyes at him, "That's not how it works Gare."

He points ahead of him. "That one. It's the best."

Lifting my head from his shoulder, I give him a crazy look. "Gare...that's the ONLY one."

"I know.", he says grinning at me as I lay my head back on his shoulder.

Walking into the store, I ask him. "Remember the Love Is Hell vinyl I found for you in here Gare?"

"Oh man. I was so happy. I'd been looking for that forever!"

"Still your favorite favorite possession?", I tease. 

"Always.", he replies mock seriously. 

From the front of the store, the man at the counter goes, "Well I'll be damned. Is that Garrett and Rachael? I haven't seen you guys in a few years. Still together I see?"

"Jimmy!", I exclaim. "You're still here!"

"Of course I am.", he chuckles. "You two kids as in love as ever?"

Blushing, "Oh. We're just friends. We, errr, broke up a few years ago. Gare here has a girlfriend in New York."

The brunette at the counter who I hadn't paid attention to turns around. She looks really familiar. "Gare?", she says uncertainly. And it hits me. That's Falyn. Why is she here?

He hastily removes his arm from around me. "Uhh...Falyn. What are you doing here?"

She shoots me a look full of pure venom. "Can we talk? Alone?", she stresses. 

Oh shit. "Uhh...sorry Gary. I'll go now. Practice is at Ken's today at four.", I mumble, quickly leaving. "Bye Jimmy!" Poor him. He's probably so confused. 

"I thought you said I had nothing to worry about!", I hear her demand as I leave. Not waiting to hear his reply, I walk quickly away. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Ohshit. Like? READ SUBSCRIBE COMMENT ;D xoxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=KdKu_J5ebMg&NR=1

this song is beautiful. it's paradise fears :3 but...ughh ♥