Sequel: Smoke and Fire
Status: Complete! ^.^ READ THE SEQUEL :D

Back to the Start

28 - Rachael POV

For the next week, I avoided Garrett as much as possible. Love? Not possible. We've both moved past that. Every time Sam brought him up, I changed the topic. She didn't push, realizing that I wasn't ready to talk about it. 

Before any of us knew it, it was time for the boys to go to LA. Sam chose to stick with the boys, but I decided to opt out. Since Sam had been hanging around with us and the boys, she'd been staying at my house. My parents were hardly ever at home, so they didn't even realize. It was like school, but better since we could stay up late and wake up whenever and not have to study or do any work. Sam would be the boys' last stop. So at nine, we all said goodbye, and they were on their way. A few days to myself. Lovely. After they'd left, I had lazed around the house for a few more hours. But now I decided to get up and go out. 

Half an hour later,  I'm at Starbucks. By this time, I've been back so often that they know my order. When I get up to the cash register, I say, "The normal."

"Sorry. I'm new. So I don't know what your normal is."

I look up. Oh. Piercing green eyes. A lopsided smile. Messy dirty blond hair. Tan skin. "Hii.", I smile shyly. "Sorry. I didn't realize. Medium caramel frap. Thanks...", looking at his name tag. "Kyle."

He sends me another lopsided smile. "You're welcome...?"

"Rachael.", I supply. 

"Rachael.", he repeats. "Hey. This is kind of forward. But...I get off in ten. Do you have anywhere to be? If not, can you wait for me?"

"Sure.", I smile. "I'll just wait over there.", gesturing in the general direction of the tables. Not like I had anything better to do, considering my friends were all in LA for the next few days. 

"Hey.", I hear. Looking up from my phone, I see Kyle. I'd been texting Sam about him. 

Smiling, I drop the phone into my bag and get up. "Hey."

"Wanna walk around outside?", he asks. 

"Sure. Not too far though. My car is outside."

"Ok.", he agrees readily. "There's an awesome record shop a few blocks away. Uhh...I don't know what music you listen to, but I've been dying to take a look, just haven't gotten around to it."

"I love that place. It has everything. From obscure to mainstream. And by mainstream, I mean late 1900s mainstream.", I tell him laughingly. 

I see his eyes light up. "Really? I've been looking for some vinyls for ever! Maybe they'll have them."

"Maybe.", I agree. "So, what brings you to Tempe?"

"Who says I'm new?"

"Please. I grew up in Tempe. It's not a large town. I know practically everyone who grew up here. And you are not one of them."

"Fine. You caught me. I didn't grow up around here. I actually grew up on the coast in California. San Francisco. I have second cousins here. We used to be really close when we were younger. But then we grew up and got our own lives. I'm back to visit them for a while though I think."

"Really? Who's your cousin? If he, or she, is around our age, I probably know who it is."

"Garrett? Nickelsen? He's in a band. They're pretty big, or so I've heard."

Garrett's cousin? Oh. Kyle...Kyle Monroe. I remember Gare telling me about him. "Kyle Monroe?", I ask. But I know I'm right. I've never forgotten a thing Gary told me. 

"Oh wow. You've heard of me? That eager?", he teases. 

"Uhh...actually. All of the boys are kind of my best friends. Garrett and I were always the closest. We...lost touch for a few years. But since we're both back...they're in LA right now."

"Wow. You actually really know them well. It's a small world, isn't it? Oh look. We're here."

I push open the door. And the first thing I hear is, "Well look who's back. And so soon also."

"Hey Jimmy. I, uhmm, didn't really get to stay last time, remember?"

"Right. No Garrett today? Who's this young man?"

"This is Kyle. He's actually Garrett's cousin."

"Those lucky Nickelsen boys, eh?", he says raising his eyebrows. 

Blushing, I shake my head. "He's a Monroe." Turning to Kyle, I ask, "Didn't you have vinyls to look for?"

"Right. Right.", he says turning towards the stacks of records. 

"So. Where's Garrett?", asks Jimmy casually. 

"The band is in LA right now. They'll be there for a few days. I didn't feel like going."

"What about Garrett?", he continues to ask, his eyes twinkling. 

"You saw Garrett last time. With Falyn. Just a few days ago."

"Fighting. They didn't have what you and Garrett did."

"No. He loves her.", I say shaking my head. 

"Who are you trying to convince. Me or yourself?"

"No one. It's the truth. I've heard him say it. And seen him prove it."

"Mhmm. Well, there's another Love Is Hell vinyl in the store."

"Wait! Seriously? Can I have it?" I can't believe it. 

"You still want it after all these years?"

"Shut up! You know I do. Otherwise, you wouldn't have told me."

"Smart girl.", he says. "Remember the first one?"

"Yea. It was for his birthday. God. He loved it. Still does apparently. We were talking about it, errr, a few days ago."

"He'll always love it. Not just for the music, but for what it means and who gave it to him."

"God Jimmy. You're almost worse than the boys."

"Go take care of his cousin now, will you?"

"Oh right." I hand him the money for the vinyl and place it carefully in my bag. "Thanks Jimmy."

Walking back to Kyle, "Hey. Find what you're looking for?"

"A few."

Looking at the stack of vinyls already in his arm, I give him a look. "A few? How many do you need?"

Shrugging, "I have a long list."

"Alright. Well. Tell me when you're done. I'll just be...around. Looking at stuff."

"Didn't you get something already?"

"Yea. A Ryan Adams vinyl. Love Is Hell. Do you listen?"

"A little. Not quite my cup of tea."

"Ouchh. Don't let Gare hear you say that. I'm not kidding. He will rant on forever about how perfect the guy is. And then some. Just a warning."

"Alright.", chuckling. "I'll try to remember that."

"Well. I'll let you get back to that.", turning to look at some other stuff. But wait...turning around again, I ask, "How come Gary hasn't mentioned you visiting?"

"Oh. I may stay for a while. Thought I'd settle down first. Small apartment, job, and everything. I told my parents not to say anything. A surprise for them."

"Awwwh. That's sweet. Alright. Well. Yea."

I browsed the stacks of records until Kyle was done. 

We walked back to the car amiably, him telling me about life in San Fran, and me telling him about Tempe and ASU. We finally reach Starbucks again, and I head towards my car. "Thanks for the walk. It was fun. I guess I'll, uhh, see you around?"

"Or...", he says slowly. "Would you like to go out on a date with me? Not tomorrow, but the day after?"

Garrett's cousin? I'm really not sure this is a good idea. But...whatever. One date can't hurt. "Sure. Just text me the details."

"Alright. I'd need your number first though."

I feel my face heat up. "Right. Sorry. I forgot for a second that you're not from around here. Practically everyone has it because I never want to go through the hassle of changing my number. And...I'm just rambling now, aren't I? Sorry. Nervous habit." 

"I make you nervous? Well, if you didn't want to give me your number, you could have just told me.", Kyle teased. 

I flush red again, and give him my number this time, and he gave me his. Cool. Not bad for a day's work, I think. 

But driving home, Garrett was the one I couldn't get out of my head. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Long chapter! (for me) Sorry for not posting at like...all D: the next chapter will come tomorrow or in a few hours, depending on whether or not I can sleep tonight :3

anyways, what'd you think? Rach needs some action. Hahaha. Just trying to say she's not pathetic and can attract the attention of hot nice guys, not just drunk sleazy creeps. Lol.

Read, comment, subscribe? ♥ xoxo.