Sequel: Smoke and Fire
Status: Complete! ^.^ READ THE SEQUEL :D

Back to the Start

3 - Garrett POV

Of course she's back. She lives here. Her family and friends are all here. And it's summer. Thoughts are running through my head like crazy. Why didn't I just go after practice? Then that wouldn't have happened. But it doesn't even matter anymore. She cheated on me. I have Falyn now. Loving, trustworthy, beautiful Falyn. I try not to think about the nose ring she wore and the three hearts still tattooed on her wrist. Mine were gone. The tattoo replaced by a feather. The ring I just...took off and never put back the day I found out. How could I?

Looking at the clock, I realize that I'm going to be late. "Crap," I muttered. "Today's just going to keep on getting better." Pulling back onto my driveway, I run inside and haphazardly throw the food into the fridge. I scribble a quick note to mom. "Sorry. Band practice. Late. Love you! Garrett"

Running back into the car, I rush over to John's. Walking into the garage, everyone smirking at me. The first one to move, Pat screams, "He's here! He's here! He's here! Let's play!" Running towards me, Pat squeals, " I missed you so much Gare! Come give me a hug!"

As we start playing, I let my mind wander. Rachael. Great. After finally getting her off my mind, I see her for two minutes and she invades again. From somewhere outside my imagination, I hear a, "Woah everyone. Stop." Looking around, I realize it's Jared. I frown.

"What?", I ask. "Why'd we stop?"

"Dude, you were off. Didn't you hear it?", says Jared.

"Oh. Sorry man. A lot on my mind. I'll listen more carefully this time."

I get a strange look from John, but it's ignored and we begin practicing again. Everything runs smoothly this time around. A few hours later, sweaty from the hot and humid Arizona air, we stop playing and make plans to meet up again in a few hours. A club or something. Maybe a small gig. Depends.

I drive back home slowly, a relaxing shower already on my mind. Maybe a zombie video game before I need to leave again. And oh. I promised Falyn I'd call her.