Sequel: Smoke and Fire
Status: Complete! ^.^ READ THE SEQUEL :D

Back to the Start

8 - Rachael POV

Someone's staring at me. I wait to see if the feeling leaves. It doesn't. Huffing, I turn around. "What do you wa--oh."

"Oh. Sorry. I was err-getting some fresh air."

"Well, can you get it somewhere else?"

But of course, instead of walking away, he come sits next to me. "Don't tell me nothing's wrong Rach. I know you. And I guess I've missed you. You were also my best friend. But I guess I never really made that clear, did I?"

Smiling wryly, I finally look at him. Those electric blue eyes never changed. "You were pretty mad. I guess I deserved it though, right?"

Chucking, he just gives me a look. "Yeah." Sighing, he asks, "What happened to us Rachael?"

"Young and dumb. And me taking you for granted."

"Some. Think we can ever be friends again?"

"Well, we're sitting here. And talking. Not yelling. How about now? It's been three years. We can be adults about it. And...guess I missed you too."

"Wanna come back inside with me?", he offers. 

"No. It's fine. Already called a cab to pick me up. It should be here soon. Texted my friend Sam. She's in there.", deciding to leave out the fact that I knew she was with Dirk and the other guys.

"Oh. You were the Rachael she was talking about?"

"Yupp.", popping my 'p' as a car pulls up to the curb. "Well, that's me. Bye."

Rubbing the back of his neck, he says, "Well, uhh, guess I'll see you around."

So we're friends again. Lovely. Looking at my vibrating phone, I see a new text from an unknown number. "Uhh, hi. It's Garrett. I don't know if you changed your number, but I'd you haven't, this is mine. I figure if we're friends again... And if you're not Rachael, this is really awkward. Soo...whoever this may be, hope you have a good night."

Ridiculous. But I still save his number.