Status: Slowly, but surely.

Wine After Whiskey

Catch a Falling Star

It had been nearly eight hours since James had left to talk with Melanie, and the lack of communication she had heard from him began to worry Tessa. After getting Aubree bathed, PJ’s on, and into bed, Tessa began to pace the dark hardwood floors of their cottage in hopes he would just stumble through the front door.

Nine hours.

Finally, Tessa got the bright idea to call him. After seven rings, the phone went automatically to voicemail and Tessa was beginning to fume.

“James, you better pick up your goddamn phone because if so help me god you’re dead on the side of the road in a fucking ditch or something, I will make you come back from the dead and kill you myself.”

She hit the end button and then slammed the phone down on the table. She mumbled a few more explicates under her breath, before picking up the telephone again and redialing his number. This time she was able to catch him.

“Damn it James, where are you?” She called into her phone, trying to get her blood pressure back under control again.

“Tessa, I’m sorry. I’m not good for you guys. I go and fuck everything up,” James stumbled through his words. Without even seeing him she could tell he was drunk.

“James--”

“I’m sorry Tess, I’m sorry. Tell Aubree that I love her.”

“No, James. No. When I allowed you back into Aubree’s life you agreed you wouldn’t pull this kinda shit. So you are going to tell me where you are and I’m going to come and pick up your drunken ass, and bring you back to the cottage where you’re going to sleep off an obviously massive hangover you’re going to have in the morning, and then we will figure everything out. Because it’s going to be okay.”

“I--”

“Tell me where you are, James,”

“The bar on Fifth. I’m sorry, Tess.” He mumbled again. Tessa told him she’d be there in fifteen minutes, and not to order another drink- something he probably wouldn’t listen too, she knew the funk he was in.

___

Besides James’s repeated apologies on there way home from Tessa picking him up at the bar, they hadn’t spoken yet. Tessa felt sick to her stomach after she realized how much he had drunk on the account of what he had found out about Melanie… obviously not good.

She dragged him on her shoulder into the house, and led him to his bedroom.

“C’mon baby,” she cooed to him like a small child. He grunted and groaned as they made their way closer to the small bedroom. She finally set him on the edge of the bed, and began helping him undress starting with his sneakers. She got to his jeans, and he began to smirk. Obviously hoping for more to happen. “Don’t even think about it,” she warned him as she helped him slip into a pair of pajama pants and then helped him up and underneath the covers.

“I’m really sorry Tessa… I’ll get rid of the problem, anything I can, I will.”

She shook her head and brushed it off, there was no time for this talk.

“I told you earlier James, regardless of what happens, both Aubree and I will be here. Don’t worry,” he grinned a cheesy smile, and kissed her nose sloppily. She wiped her nose and tucked him in.

“Stay with me tonight,” she shook her head. It wasn’t the best idea, so he pleaded again. “Please,” she gave in. His eyes craved her and she relinquished.

“Fine,” she mumbled, pulling down the covers and slipping next to him. He pulled her close and wrapped his arms around her.

“She kissed me… I mean, I kissed her back… But I wanted to tell you, no secrets.” Tessa sucked in a breath as he spoke, she wasn’t going to let it get to her.

“You’re drunk, baby and you’re telling me things I don’t want to hear. Please just go to sleep and in the morning you wont be feeling so good so take advantage of the sleep now, and not while a four year old comes in and wakes you up,” He laughed, and pulled her closely, and kissed her forehead.

“I love you, Tessa.” He mumbled sleepily. She nodded.

“I know,” she mumbled, still not able to reciprocate the words. It was not the time, things weren’t completely ironed out yet…

And would they ever be?
♠ ♠ ♠
Kinda short.

Let me know what you think, comment!!