Status: Slowly, but surely.

Wine After Whiskey

Circus

James woke up the next morning feeling more hung over than he had ever been in his entire life. His head pounded and spun from all of the alcohol that was beginning to make its way out of his blood stream, and when he got out of bed he had to steady himself on the corner of the mattress in order to make sure he didn’t do a face plant right into the bathroom wall.

Aubree’s shrill and high-pitched laugh rang from the kitchen, making his ears feel as if they were bleeding. He made his way into the bathroom to throw up all of the remaining contents of food or alcohol left from the evening before. Tessa ran to check on him as soon as she heard him up.

“No more alcohol for you,” she mumbled, rubbing his back. He tried to let out a weak laugh, but ended up choking on what he was vomiting. “Or laughing while throwing up.” She grinned as he wiped off his mouth with the corner of his t-shirt and began to wash his hands and brush his teeth. His mouth felt like he had a thousand cotton balls stuck in between gums and crevices, and he could barely speak.

“Mmmmm,” he grunted back at her as she held onto him to make sure he was steady. He rested his head on her shoulder and closed his eyes. He was in pretty rough shape.

“You go and lay back down, I’ll bring you some Advil and water so we can get you feeling a little better.” She motioned to him, pulling him behind her and helping him back into bed.

Before Tessa could catch her, Aubree sprang into her father’s bedroom and jumped up on the bed next to him.

“Daddy!” she yelled with a loud voice, causing James to feel as if he wanted to crawl up underneath the bed to hide from the loud noise. Tessa walked in to help with the situation.

“Bree bee, daddy is sick right now so I need you to be extra quiet and extra nice to him today,” Aubree gave her father a once over look.

“What’s wrong with him?” she asked with wide eyes. “He doesn’t look sick to me.” She asserted, trying her best to use her quietest inside voice. It was more of a failed attempt. Tessa took a deep breath and tried to figure out how exactly she was supposed to say something.

“He has a bad tummy ache,” she replied quickly, handing James the medicine and glass of cool water. Graciously he took both and gulped down the entire cup of water in less than a minute. The cool liquid felt like a miracle against his dry throat.

“What are you going to do to make him feel better?” Aubree asked, pressing the question. She tapped her hand on the comforter of the bed, and looked suspiciously at her dad.

“I gave him medicine and now he’s going to rest,”

“But doesn’t he need a kiss to make him feel better?” James looed up at Tessa with a grin; she shook her head.

“No, baby.”

“Why?”

“Because kisses only work for boo-boos.” She explained.

“But why do they only work for boo-boos? Isn’t a tummy ache a boo-boo too?” Tessa sighed.

“Maybe you should give daddy a kiss and see if it makes him feel better,” At least she would stop asking questions, Tessa thought. Aubree crawled on hands and knees up to her dad and lifted up his shirt, kissing him on the belly. She beamed up at him, looking for a response.

“So much better,” he grinned, playing along with the game. “But I think mommy needs to give me a kiss, right here.” He pointed towards his mouth. Tessa made a face; for the most part she didn’t like to show major PDA in front of Aubree. Nothing was really set in stone yet for them, and she didn’t want to get Bree’s hopes up.

“Go,” Aubree instructed her mother, pulling her hand closer to them. Tessa relinquished and quickly gave him a peck. James shook his head.

“I still don’t feel good,” he mumbled, giving her a mischievous grin. Tessa shook her head and gave him a warning look.

“You’ll be fine,” she mumbled patting his head, and picking Aubree up. “Take a nap and we’ll see how you’re doing in a little bit.”

___

In the hours leading up after James’s nap, Tessa had taken Aubree to the pool to get out of the house so James would be able to have some peace. When they returned, he was in the kitchen, making himself a sandwich, and looking so much better.

“Miladies,” he bowed as soon as they walked into the room. Aubree dropped her towel on the ground to run over and give her dad a wet hug. He set her down on the countertop next to him as Tessa walked over.

“Feeling better?” He nodded, taking a bite of his sandwich, and sharing it with Aubree. He offered Tessa a bite, but she declined, taking Aubree off the counter and instructing her to go and change into something.

“I was thinking,” he started; obviously wary about the conversation he was about to get himself into. “About this Melanie bullshit,” Tessa nodded, sitting down across from him. “Isn’t there some test you can get before the baby is born for paternity or something?” Tessa nodded slowly; a couple of years ago she had known somebody who had done that, the consequences of it hadn’t been positive.

“Yes, but--”

“Well let’s make the whore bag do that then,” he tried to persuade her, but Tessa but up her hand to stop him.

“There’s a really high rate of miscarriage… No, James. I told you, wait until the baby is born and then do paternity, it’s just easier that way.”

“But that’s nine months, I don’t give a damn about that baby,”

“Even if it’s yours?”

“It’s not.” She raised her eyebrows towards him.

“You don’t know that. James, I told you… Whatever happens, you’re the father or not, I’m here for you; for us. I’m not running from this because I see how you’re with Aubree, and how good you are with her. If you are the dad or whatever, then you need to make sure you live up to your responsibilities. That would be like just leaving Aubree again, I wont let you do that.” She was as serious as a heart attack.

“But I don’t want to have a kid with her, I want to have a kid with you… More babies with you, beautiful babies that we have after we get married and live happily ever after… Melanie’s baby isn’t my happily ever after.” Tessa shrugged. She had put it out there that whatever happened, she would be there. Time would only tell.

“You made your bed, James; and now you have to lie in it.” She explained, pushing herself up off of the chair and walking towards Aubree’s bedroom to see if she needed any help getting dressed.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)

Another shorty. Kinda a filler too.

Comment!

More to come soon, I suppose.