Silence of Our Voices

Chapter 5.

Soon after Anthony left, I resumed my position at the wall of windows, watching the people below. There were a couple of people over by a restaurant, a kid a vaguely knew from a bar walking down the street and Josh, coming towards the apartment. Oh joy.

I sighed and went into the kitchen, cleaning up breakfast. I sighed again, waiting for Josh to buzz up. But he never did, instead he was just in the apartment. He had a key.

“Josh! Do you have a key to my apartment?” I asked, crossing my arms. He stopped dead in his tracks.

“Uh...no?” he mumbled. I glared at him. He held out his hand, and in it, was a copy of the key to my apartment. I took it from him.

“Way to be creepy,” I said, rolling my eyes. “Now what do you want?” I put the key in my pocket and leaned my back against the wall. He smiled smally.

“We have some laws to make,” he said. “And I mean, like need to make.” I groaned.

“Fine,” I said. “Number one! Don’t ever go outside the city!” I exclaimed, sitting on my couch, facing the window.

“Number two, don’t ever speak of the outside world,” he said, sitting next to me. “Or the city above,” he sighed, realizing how creepy ‘the outside world’ sounded.

We tossed around ideas for a couple hours, trying to ensure our safety from the future city above. If they ever found out about any of this, we’d all be killed without so much as an idea of a trail.

By the time we finished, noon had come and passed and it was almost 5:30 in the evening. There was a buzzing noise from the speaker over by the elevator. I sighed and put down the pen in my hand.

“Josh, can you go take care of that, please?” I asked, smiling at him. He smiled back and nodded, getting up and walking over. I heard him talking, and a voice I knew right away. Anthony was here. Not even a minute later, he was in my apartment, sitting next to me on the couch.

“Hi Tegan,” Anthony smiled, hugging me.

“Hey Anthony,” I smiled, giving him a sideways hug. Josh coughed a little. We pulled apart and he gave Anthony a glare. I smiled and sighed.

“Well, what now?” I asked. “I mean, we have the laws and shit like that covered, so now what?”

“I say food!” Anthony exclaimed, jumping up. I nodded, standing up too. Josh shook his head and stood up.

“Let’s go,” Josh said, walking towards the elevator. I smiled at Anthony.

“I actually haven’t been anywhere in the city,” I told him. He laughed.

“It’s okay, you’re not going to die,” he said. I sighed.

“I’m not scared, I’m excited,” I told them both, getting into the elevator.