Limitless

Jane: Relationships

“Hey Brent!” I called again louder, my speed picking up a little as I hurried to catch up to my sort-of friend. He glanced back at me, and at the same time stuffed his car keys into his pocket. He was a year older than me, and as a junior he was lucky enough to have a parking pass. I didn’t have a parking pass, car, or driver’s license; I got a ride from my neighbor.

“Hey Jane.” He said as I caught up, and we walked towards the cafeteria together. We were somewhat friends, we had Spanish class together and he was always making quiet snide comments about the very strict Senora Fernandez under his breath, and as I sat in front of him I could hear them perfectly.

“Spanish test tomorrow, right?” I asked him, staring up at him, and missing the small hole in the sidewalk, causing me to stumble slightly.

He didn’t notice. “Sadly,” he answered yawning. I sighed and gave a response in agreement. He noticed a friend on the other side of the lot and gave a wave, but kept walking with me. “Are you going to study?”

“What?” I answered, having missed his question completely, I was too busy wondering why he was still walking with me. ‘Did he know I liked him?’ I thought I had been relatively subtle in our conversations, not trying to talk to him too much, not bringing up awkward subjects. ‘Isn’t he going to tell me right here to stop talking to him? Or is it deeper, maybe he likes me too? I mean we haven’t even really … but-‘

“Are you going to study?” He repeated, overly enunciating now.

“Oh,” I answered. ‘He probably thinks I’m crazy now-‘ I laughed uneasily. “Probably, have to keep my ‘B’ somehow.”

“Same, and her tests are always completely-“He cut off when he noticed another of his friends outside the cafeteria, we had reached the front of the school. “Gotta’ go, see ya’ Jane.”

He walked off and I sighed once he was out of earshot, and started the walk to my locker. Nothing had ever changed; he was completely blind to what I felt.
♠ ♠ ♠
Took off of an old story of mine - it wasn't going anywhere so now here which will hopefully help :)