Status: On the way :)

Oh My Goodness

tvÄ

Jessica

The season started a couple of days later, and Matt gave me tickets to the home opener. The Avs won 3-2 against Columbus, with Matt scoring a goal and getting 2 assists. I didn't see Matt again until a few days later, after their third game against Dallas - I had been working.

He answered the door with a grin. "Hey!" he yelled, drawing out the 'e'. I laughed as he pulled me into a hug before leading me down the hall towards the living room.

"Gabe and I are just about to watch a movie," Matt informed me. "We already picked it." I normally would have complained, but I was focused on the fact that Gabe was there too and my stomach did a little flutter. I would have to get used to them living together.

We turned the corner and Gabe looked up. He smiled when he saw me, and said, "Hey."

I smiled back. "Hey, Gabe."

***

Gabe

I watched the two of them interact as we watched the movie. Matt sat in the armchair while Jessica sat on the other end of the couch I was on. They teased each other every now and then, but that was pretty much it. I couldn't help but smile while watching.

Jess laughed a lot, had a good sense of humour, and she was pretty in a simple way. I barely knew her, and I already knew she'd be a great catch.

After the movie, she headed home. As soon as she left and Matt re-entered the room and sat down, I spoke casually.

"So what's the deal with you two?"

I felt Matt glance at me. "What do you mean?"

"Are you...Together?"

Matt laughed. "No." It was my turn to glance at him. He spoke again. "Why, you interested?"

I shrugged. "Just curious. I wasn't sure."

"Nah. Just friends, man."

"You like her though?"

"Used to," he admitted. "Didn't work out."

I nodded understandingly. We turned back to the tv, and I was surprised to find myself somewhat relieved that there was nothing going on between the two of them.

***

Jessica

I worked for four days straight. I was exhausted as I pulled myself through the door on the fourth night, before collapsing on the couch. I glanced at the clock: 9:30. It wasn't even that late, and I was ready to turn in.

I turned on the tv to the game. The team was facing Pittsburgh at home that night, and there were 10:00 minutes left in the third. The game was tied 3-3. I waited for a summary of who had scored, and didn't get it until the game ended. Colorado won on a goal by Stastny, and when the stats popped up I felt a grin spread across my face.

Goal #2: scored by Gabriel Landeskog.

Gabe

I felt my shoulders fall in relief as the puck hit the back of the net. My first NHL goal. Adrenaline rushed through my veins as the guys attacked me. I wasn't sure if there would ever be another feeling like it.

After the game, I was still on a high. Guys were congratulating me right and left, and Matt, Paul, and ? decided we needed to "go out and celebrate". This was their way of saying, "We don't have practice or a game tomorrow, let's get drunk!" My goal gave them perfect opportunity to celebrate, and I didn't mind.

We reached the sports bar and as soon as we walked in, a few people cheered. They high fived all of us, and some of them congratulated me. Most of the people were on their way out, and soon the noise level was down to a light buzz. We sat at a booth, and the boys started ordering beer. I was designated DD since I couldn't drink, and I watched on in amusement as my teammates joked around and drank. It surprised me when, after a little while, I heard Matt say hi to someone, and turned to find a conservative, tired-looking Jessica standing beside our table.

Jessica

As soon as I arrived at the restaurant, I headed to the back, where Matt had said they'd be. I greeted him with a wave, and as I got closer, he called out, "Hey!"

He stood up and pulled me into a tight squeeze. He pulled away and sat down, and I glanced around the table, smiling and waving hello's. When my eyes met the blue ones of a certain Swedish boy, I spoke up.

"Congrats, Gabe," I said with a smile. He grinned back as he thanked me. He quickly told the other guys to move in, making space for me on the end across from Matt. As the night progressed, all I could really think about was Gabe's arm pressed against mine in the tight booth. His skin was warm on mine, and everytime he laughed, his leg brushed against mine. The simple contact sent my stomach in a flurry. I stayed pretty quiet, sharing in the laughs when they occurred, and sipping on my water. I noticed Gabe wasn't drinking either, and I turned to him.

"DD?"

He turned to me, and looked at my face for a moment, before seeming to understand my question. "Oh, yeah." He smiled and shrugged with a, 'What can you do?' look on his face, and I laughed knowingly.

"Nothing you can do," I said, glancing around at the men in front of us. "When they want to drink, they'll find a way to do it."

***

A couple of days later, I headed over to Matt's to say goodbye before the team's first official road trip of the year. They had gone away for a few days before, but this time they were leaving on the Monday, and coming back late Saturday night.

I helped Matt and Gabe bring their stuff out to their car, and watched from Matt's doorway as they put the last of it in the trunk of Matt's car. They walked back over, and Matt looked down at me with a dramatic pout.

"You'll be back in a few days, Matty." I hugged him tightly, and he squeezed back. I pulled away, and glanced over at Gabe. "Bye, Gabe," I said. It was awkward for a moment, before he spread out his arms with a grin. I laughed, and stepped towards him for a hug.

I had never been that close to him before, and it made my stomach flip. He smelled incredible, and the feeling of his arms around me and his chest pressed to my chest made my heart race. I pulled away quickly before I could get too caught up, and smiled, meeting his eyes for a fleeting moment before looking away.

Gabe

I hadn't thought about it - I had just held open my arms. She had looked surprised at first, but then she hugged me. I felt the smile grow on my face as I held her against me. She smelled good; like vanilla and strawberries. When she pulled away, she gave me a tiny smile before looking away. Was she... blushing? I couldn't be sure.

All I knew was that I'd be given crap if Matt knew that I had just gotten that stupid feeling in my stomach when she had been in my arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)