Status: On the way :)

Oh My Goodness

fem

Gabe

We were scheduled to go to the cottage the day after Jess arrived back. It made me almost antsy, knowing that she would be back in Denver for a day before I'd get to see her. Get a grip, Gabe.

I couldn't wait to see her.

On the morning of our departure, I was in my room grabbing my bag to put in the car when I heard Matt yell excitedly.

"Jess is here!"

I hauled my bag up over my shoulder as I heard the front door slam. I found that a smile was already on my face as I turned the doorknob and stepped out into the sunlight. My grin widened as she finished hugging Matt, and her eyes caught mine. I could have sworn I saw her eyes light up. I raised my eyebrows, and she jogged over to me. Before long, she was in my arms.

"Hi!" she exclaimed as we pulled apart. She beamed up at me, and I laughed.

"Hey." We smiled at each other, before she turned to face Matt.

"So how are we doing this?"

"Well, we're taking O'Brien's car," Matt replied. "He should be here any minute. He just had to pick up O'Reilly first."

Shane and Ryan showed up as we were pulling Jess's stuff out of her car. After saying our hellos, we packed our bags into the trunk and piled into Shane's car. Matt called shotgun, which left Jess, Ryan and I in the backseat. I nearly sighed in relief as Jess climbed into the middle.

As we began our journey to the mountains just outside of Denver, Ryan, Jessica and I settled into a quiet silence while Matt and Shane argued over the music choice up front. I watched as Jessica gazed around at her surroundings. After a while, she yawned, and willingly obliged when Matt suggested she have a nap. She leaned her head back and rested it on the seat behind her. After a while, she dozed off, and I watched her for a moment, as inconspicuously as I could, before turning to look out the window.

After a while, I heard Jessica shift beside me. I turned to see Ryan having a nap against the other window, and I held my breath as Jess's head rolled in my direction. In a split second decisive moment, my arm snaked around her shoulders, giving her sleeping form easy access to my chest. And, as hoped, she nestled her head against me, making me smile as she sighed contentedly in her sleep. I saw Matt give me a look in the mirror from the corner of my eye, but I pretended I didn't see.

***

Jessica

I woke up to the sound of gravel crunching beneath the tires. My eyes slowly fluttered open, and it took me a moment to place my surroundings. When I came into focus, I realized that I was surrounded by an incredibly pleasant scent, and that my head was nestled comfortably against Gabriel's shoulder.

My heart jumped in my chest. His arm was resting casually around my shoulders, and his head was back against the headrest. His sweater was warm against my cheek. I savoured the closeness for a moment, before realizing that I had probably rolled over onto him in my sleep, and he was just being nice.

I lifted my head off his shoulder, and tried not to lean too much against his arm. When I moved, he seemed to be jolted into consciousness.

"Wake up, sleeping beauty," Matt teased. I looked around, trying to ignore Gabe as he lifted his arm from around my shoulder. We had just pulled up to a chalet.

As I got out of the car after Ryan, I could see more of my surroundings. My jaw almost dropped. In front of me was a chalet built into the side of a mountain. There were steps that led up to a balcony that disappeared around the corner to the left. All around us were snow-covered trees and mountains in the distance, and it seemed we were the only people for miles. It was absolutely breathtaking.

We headed up the few steps. When we reached the landing and turned around the corner, the deck stretched all the way to the other side, where it disappeared around that corner, too. I took a moment to admire the wood of the deck and the chalet itself.

We reached the front door about halfway down the porch on our right. As Shane opened up the door and we all filed in, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

It was beautiful. In front of us was a huge room with high ceilings. About halfway across the room, small steps led down to a sitting area with a giant stone fireplace in the corner. To the right, there was a hallway that led to some rooms, and to the left was a kitchen and dining area. The wall that lined the kitchen and dining area had windows with breathtaking views, and there was a door in between that led to the porch on the other side. In between the kitchen and the sitting room, on the far wall, was another hallway.

We turned to one another, and Shane spoke up first. "First come, first served. On the count of three!"

It took me a minute to realize what was going on, and when I did, the guys around me had already taken off. I lifted my bag up onto my shoulder and shook my head, heading over to look out the window that was above the kitchen sink. I could hardly believe the view we had. I stood there, mesmerized for a moment, before I heard footsteps starting to shuffle back into the main area. I turned around and crossed my arms, shaking my head as Ryan emerged from the hallway to my right, and the other three walked out from the hallway across the room.

"Did you pick a room, Jess?" Matt inquired as he neared me. I snorted and raised my eyebrows.

"You bunch of animals! I'll take whatever room is left." Matt looked sheepish for a second, before turning to Ryan.

"There's another room down there, right?" He pointed to where Ryan had come from, and Ryan nodded. I picked up my bag and headed down the hall, men in tow. I pushed open the door at the end of the hall to reveal a room as breathtaking as the rest of the house.

There was a king-sized bed against the wall opposite the door. To the left were floor-to-ceiling windows, and a cushioned bench that ran along the bottom of the window. All I could see were mountains and trees.

I placed my bag on the bed and turned to the rest of the group. "Not bad," I commented. They all murmured their agreement before launching into an argument about what to have for supper. The only thing that I could think about was the fact that Gabriel's room was all the way on the other side of the cottage.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are lovely!