Al and Mel

Chapter Thirteen: Mel

It was a wonderful day! Everything was just beautiful and wonderful and amazing!

Now if only Al could feel this way, too.

She had been carefully avoiding me all week, and it was driving me crazy.

Wait, what if she was making a move on Cameron and didn't want me getting involved? Oh my gosh, my best friend's got a boyfriend! And he's my other best friend! Holy crud, my best friends are dating!

"Earth to Mel!" Cameron said, laughing at me

"What?" I snapped, grumpy at him from waking me from my almost-nap.

"Jake at one o'clock."

"Oh my gosh!" I slid under the table. "Don't let him see me! My hair's a mess from gym!"

Cameron laughed at me. "Yes, your highness."

I rolled my eyes as I pulled out my emergency hair tools. I started curling, which didn't take as long as I thought that it would.

"Hey, you're one of Mel's friends, right?" I heard Jake ask Cameron.

"Yep. Name's Cameron."

"Cool. Do you know where Mel is right now? I thought she had a free period right now..."

"She's around."

"Do you know where exactly?"

"Nope."

"Well, then I guess I'll just have to go looking for her," Jake mumbled. "Thanks."

"Whatever," Cameron said as Jake walked away. "All clear," he said to me.

I crawled out, and smiled. "Thanks, Cammy."

"Anytime, Mel, anytime."

"Do you think he'll come back around?" I asked hopefully.

"Sure. Seemed like he really wanted to see you," Cameron practically growled.

"What's your problem?" I asked, a little surprised by his tone.

"Nothing. Just forget it," he grumbled childishly.

I rolled my eyes.

~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~


"Al!" I yelled as I saw her scampering down the hall. "Al!"

I sprinted down the hallway. I was the star runner on the track team, so it didn't take long for me to catch up with her.

"Al, what's your problem?" I asked, slightly breathless.

She sighed. "Nothing..."

It didn't sound like nothing. "You sure?"

She nodded. "I'm fine." She smiled.

I grinned. "Well, you won't believe what happened to me during free period," I said as we headed out of the school building.

"What?"

"Jake came looking for me! He wanted to talk to me, but he didn't get the chance because—"

"Your hair was messed up from gym?" she guessed. I nodded. "Ah. Continue."

"I wonder what he wanted to talk to me about? Hopefully he wanted to go on a date."

"Why wouldn't he? You're awesome, Mel."

I smiled. "Thanks, Al. I can always count on you to brighten my day."

She smiled back. "So, you wanna come over to my place?"

"Sure." I grinned. "Race yah."

We darted down the sidewalk.