Al and Mel

Chapter Sixteen: Al

I felt awful, completely and utterly miserable. What did I ever do to deserve this? Was it that one time in first grade when I laughed when Mel fell? Because if it is the reason, I did apologize. I buried my tear streaked face into my pillows and thought. Why should I let some guy, even if it was Cameron, ruin my friendship with Mel?

I reached over my bed for my phone before I stopped myself. She wouldn't want to talk to someone that wouldn't listen to her. I mournfully tucked my hand under my stomach and thought. I just kept remembering the good times, the years when boys were boys and I didn't have any interest other than the friendly kind with them. I never thought I would fall in love with my best guy friend, who in turn fell in love with my other best friend. What kind of triangle is this?

I flipped over and grabbed my TV remote off my stand but stopped when I saw the old friendship bracelet hanging from the top of my lamp. I tearfully picked the old piece of string, the one that proclaimed forever and always.

I shook my head free of my consuming thoughts. I had to talk to Cameron, it was the only way I could go ahead and get over him. I picked up my phone again and dialed his number. He answered on the first two rings. "Hello?"

" Hey, I really need to talk to you. It's important."

" Sure, talk away."

"Actually I was kind of hoping to talk to you in person?"

" Be over in ten."

" Thanks." I shut my phone closed and looked out my window. The sun was going down, making the horizon a soft pink. It was absolutely beautiful and breath-taking. I stretched and got off my warm bed, then walked downstairs and popped down on the couch.

About ten minutes later there was a loud knock on the door, so I took my time in getting up and opening it. He was about to knock again when I finally got up my courage to open to door. His face was pale and had streaks of dirt it. " Hey."

I gestured inside," Wanna come inside and eat some cookies while we talk?"

He smiled slightly before stepping in and closing the door behind him. I raced into the kitchen and pulled out some of grandma's homemade chocolate chip cookies. I picked the tray up and took my time walking to the living room.

Cameron shouted," Hurry up with those cookies."

I grinned and sat them on the coffee table," Whatever, you better just be quiet or you won't get any." I grabbed one and deliberately munched on one in front of him. He tried to snag one but I stopped him and hopped off with the tray upstairs. "My cookies!"

He dashed after me," No, those are my cookies."

I shook my head and ran into my room, setting the cookies down while trying to close the door. He put his foot in the way, blocking it from closing. "Give me the cookies."

" Never." I pushed against the door, throwing my entire weight on it and it still wouldn't bulge. Suddenly he throw the door opened and pinned me down to the ground.

His soft breathing was against my neck and chill bumps appeared on my arms. He stared me down," Gonna give me the cookies now?"

I nodded shyly before pushing him off and sitting on my bed. He happily grabbed a cookie and plopped down beside me. "So what did you need to talk about?"

I met his gaze evenly," We need to talk about... our feelings. For one another."

He looked confusingly at me," What are you talking about?"

I gulped and got up, pacing my room. " Well, you see... I really don't know how to tell you this. It could ruin our entire friendship. But, I can't keep my feelings from you. I love you and I want you to be with me, not Mel. I know you don't think of me like that but I can't help but love you."

I felt a pair of strong arms grab me around the waist and huskily whisper," I never even knew." Then he spun me around and kissed me.
♠ ♠ ♠
ABOUT TIME! Don't you think? I'm sorry if this seems rushed or doesn't fit but I really like this chapter :) Well, except the whole Mel and Al not being friends thing. Anyway, until next time my readers.
--butterflywings16