Al and Mel

Chapter Seven: Mel

I woke up in the middle of the night in Al’s bedroom. Our eyes were sore from crying. We watched Bambi, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty. We cried when Bambi’s mom got shot, when Snow White ate the poison apple (and was in that demon forest), and when Aurora pricked her finger (and when she was cursed).

But mostly, we cried about Cameron.

It made no sense how our best friend could ditch us for someone. We’ve been an unbeatable trio since we all met… I don’t even remember when we first met. (Wow, that must’ve been as soon as I came out of the womb, considering I’m the youngest by three entire months.)

I sniffled another sob. Cameron didn’t deserve it. I thought he was my friend, but he obviously wasn’t. Was he just using us for cheap entertainment this entire time?

I sat up. I needed hot cocoa. That always makes me feel better.

I tiptoed through the creaky house as silently as I could. I got in the pantry, grabbed the chocolate mixture, some milk, mixed them together, and stuffed them into the microwave for about a minute. Once my masterpiece was complete, I sat on the counter and sipped at my cocoa.

Then someone knocked at the back door. Confused, and probably idiotic, I go to answer it…at midnight. Yeah, I’m not as smart as Al who’d be all “stranger danger” on me right about now.

I opened the door to reveal Cameron. It was raining, but I didn’t let him in.

“What are you doing here?” I hissed.

“C-can I c-come in-in?” he stuttered, shivering.

I shook my head. “My mom told me to never let strangers into my house.”

“Come on, Mel, don’t be like that. I’m your best friend.”

“My best friend is upstairs asleep.”

“It’s Cameron,” he said, getting impatient. “Your other best friend.”

“Oh, him? Yeah, he died. Nasty bus accident.” I felt tears come to my eyes. That was the equivalent of what should happen to him.

“Mel, I’m sorry. Please let me in.”

I bit my lip. I honestly considered letting him in. Then I shook my head, clearing the thought of it away. “You hurt our feelings by ditching us, Cammy. You’re gonna have to do a lot better than a cheap apology in the middle of the night.”

With that, I slammed the door in his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, I know. But eventful, no?