Al and Mel

Chapter Eight: Al

Monday came around faster than I had originally thought it would. Mel stayed at my house all weekend, taking care of me. I didn't want to face today but I knew I had too. Mel screamed from the bathroom," Come on, Al! You need to get in her so I can make you stunning!"

I laughed," What are you trying to say, Mel? Am I ugly or something?"

She poked her head out of the other room; you know that's not what I'm saying. Now, get your butt in here!"

I pouted as I walked in and sat like an obedient dog on a chair she had put in there. She grinned at me as she brought a curling iron to my head and began curling my hair expertly. I rolled my eyes, not feeling like looking pretty at all today. I wanted my usual basketball shorts and t shirt. Finally after about twenty minutes she was done. "There go put your clothes on; I put them out on your bed."

I hopped up and went to find my clothes. You've got to be kidding me. Mel had set out a white skirt with a blue silky shirt and a brown belt. I just shook my head and pulled all the clothing on, stepping in to some brown flats. I shouted to Mel," Hey I'm done. Anything else?"

She answered," Nah, just let me finish my make up and will take your car, I guess."

I felt the tears began to prick at my eyes but I hastily brushed them away. "Okay, I'll just go start the car and you can meet me down there."

I grabbed my little shoulder bag and ran down the stairs and opened the door. Cam stood there, his hand in mid high, fixing to knock on the door. I glared at him as I shoved passed him and got in to my little blue bug.

He followed me," Hey, don't be like that Al! Please let me explain."

I followed down my window,” Cam, if you were a real friend, you wouldn't blow us off for a girlfriend. Never once had Mel or I blown you off for a boyfriend. Best friends don't do that."

At that time, Mel came rushing out of the house. She didn't even blink as she quickly got in the care and turned the radio on. I said one last time," Good bye, Cam." I rolled up the window and pulled out of the driveway. Tears started pooling at the corners of my eyes. Mel made me pull over and she held on to me tightly, telling me it was okay to cry.

We were late to school, needless to say. We ran to first period English, got glares from Mr. Williams and watched whatever movie he was making us watch. Mel and I passed notes.

So what are we going to do about Cam? She said in the note.

I don't know. Should we forgive him? I don't want to but maybe he is sorry?

I don't know either, let's just wait until lunch and see who he sits with. If he sits with her than he obviously doesn't care about us anymore.

The morning passed by agonizingly slow as we waited to see what our so called best friend would do. Finally the moment of truth came; we walked into the lunch room and got in line for food.

Mel asked," Do you see him?"

I glanced around the room," No, maybe he's not in here yet."

Not two seconds after I said that, he walked and you'll never guess who he had on his arm.