Status: Complete

Even if it Kills Me

Part ELEVEN: Reflections of White and Silver

Aoi recovered quickly, and was able to come home sooner than expected. He was holding my hand and happily bouncing around in his seat all the way home. He was so hyper and happy-go-lucky, that you wouldn't even know that he had just recovered from an injury! You would definitely never guess he was a shooting victim.

"Calm down," I laughed.

He smiled at me, and said, "You. Me. Dinner. Tonight. You pick the restaurant."

"Someone's happy today," I said.

"It's because you're just a freaking ray of lovely sunshine!" Uruha teased in a sing-songy voice.

I would've punched him, if he wasn't driving. So I settled for sticking my tongue out at him, instead.

"And she's my ray of sunshine!" Aoi piped up. He smiled at me, and his eyes were bright and shiny.

I pecked his lips, and held his hand tighter, never wanting to let him go.

--------------

I had selected my favorite downtown restaurant. Aoi held me tightly and chatted all the way there. We had a lot of laughs over dinner. After we finished eating, we stepped out of the restaurant into the cool evening air and headed to the local duck pond.

We cuddled up on a bench together to take in the scenery. I loved watching the ducks play and splash around in the water! Aoi seemed to enjoy himself, as well.The early moon reflected graciously upon the crystal water. Reflections of white and silver rippled gently across the vast pond as it sparkled in the well-lit park.

It was all too beautiful and perfect.

Aoi took the moment, and whispered,

"I love you."

"I love you, too," I replied. He tilted my chin up and kissed me tenderly before we headed back home.

I don't think I had ever smiled so much in my entire life. I was tired, but how could I complain when everything was so perfect?

I yawned, and Aoi laughed.

"Are you tired?" he asked, sweetly.

"A little," I admitted.

He smiled warmly, before picking me up.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, giggling in surprise.

He kissed my cheek, and I snuggled into his shoulder.

----------

I heard the faint sound of a door shutting. I opened my eyes, and saw that we just got home. A smiling Kai and Uruha sat on the couch.

Kai laughed.

"Did she fall asleep or something?"

"Well, she yawned and admitted to being tired, so I carried her and she fell asleep on the way home." I could hear the smile in his voice.

Uruha laughed and beamed at me. He truly must have been happy that Aoi and I were together.

I smiled at him, and Aoi carried me upstairs to my room.

He placed me on my bed.

"I'll leave you to get changed," he said. "I'll be in the hall when you finish." He kissed my forehead, and shut my door.

I rummaged through my clothes, and found some comfortable pants and a T-shirt. I pulled them on, and opened my door to see Aoi in some pajama pants and a tank top.

He smiled at me, and walked into the room with me. I climbed into bed, half expecting Aoi to join me. Instead, he tucked me in and kissed me. He bade me goodnight, and went to his own room.

I climbed out of bed, and followed him into his room.

He took me into his arms, and laughed.

"I was hoping you'd follow me," he said, lightly.

We climbed into bed. Aoi held me close. I could feel the heat radiating from his body.

"Remember what I told you at the park?" he asked in the darkness.

"You told me that you love me," I replied.

"Yep," he laughed. "I'm glad I had the opportunity."

"It was also nice to hear it tonight, considering that you weren't near death when you said it to me, this time." I stated.

"Aww! But it was tragically sweet while I was dying!" he laughed.

I hugged his waist tightly and buried my head in his chest.

"Please promise me that you won't do anything that stupid again. I don't want you to get hurt over me." I told him.

"Haruka, I love you. But, the only promise I'm making tonight is this; I will always protect you, no matter what. Even if it kills me."