Status: work in progresss..............

It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing...

mall trip

“This is your room. We haven’t really done anything with it, just moved your bed and dresser in here.” Mom said, opening a door. I crossed my arms and walked in. I smiled slightly when I saw the bed, all made out in the black duvet and matching bed set that I had when I was 12. even then I had a thing for black instead of pink, for skulls and crossbones instead of dolls and tiaras. I turned to my mom, hesitantly reaching out and squeezing her hand.

“Thank you.” I murmured, the first I had spoke since I saw them. she looked taken aback. “Thank you for what, Gracie?” I closed my eyes and looked away from her. “For not giving up on me. I thought, since you’d left, you’d… given up. But you kept all my things, and-“ I was cut off as she engulfed me in a hug, her tears hitting my neck.

“Oh, Gracie, baby, we never gave up on you! I moved because too many bad things happened, and I needed a job. First you disappeared, then your dad had that heart attack and died, and we couldn’t afford the house. I had to find a different job to support Timmy and Josh, and if you ever came back, you too. Honey, we never gave up on you!” I hugged her back, but the tears from earlier didn’t fall.

“So is Josh staying with us?” I asked, pulling away to look at her. She wiped at her eyes, and sighed. “Josh is… Josh is actually going to a school in Texas, sweetie. He just came up when they called and said they had found you. He’s staying for a week, but then he has to leave for classes again.” I nodded, looking away. She hesitated, then reached in the purse she still had on her arm.

“Here’s my credit card. It’s tied to James’s account, so-“

“James?” I interrupted. She blushed. “My new husband, Gracie. He’s in china with a new business arrangement for right now. Take the card, and Josh and Timmy, and go to the mall.” I took it slowly, surprised, then nodded. I walked down the hall and knocked on Timmy’s door.

“Yeah!” I opened the door to see Timmy and Josh spread on the floor. They both grinned at me. “Gracie! Do you like the house?” I nodded slightly at Timmy, surprised they where so at ease with me. “Mom said that we could use this…” I said hesitantly, flashing the card. Both sprang up.

“she gave you the gold card!? Let’s go before her Crazy spell ends!” Timmy grabbed my arm to drag me away, and I jerked away out of reflex. They both froze, and I grimaced. “Sorry. I’m sorry. You can’t just grab at me.” I murmured. They exchanged a glance, and then Timmy held out his hand. I slid mine in his slowly, and he dragged me down the stairs to a nice car I hadn’t seen when we pulled in. I took my mp3 out and put it in the auxiliary. Josh gave me a funny look as he slid into the drivers seat, but I just cranked it up and let it begin playing.

Purr like a Cat by T. Mills came on.

I laughed, singing along. Timmy was in the back, singing along . you couldn’t tell his voice from the recording. Josh was grinning at both of us, and I realized it was like I had never left. But then Skin and Bones by Romance on a rocketship came on, and suddenly I was the only thing singing. I clamped my mouth shut, and they both looked at me as we pulled up to a stop light.

“Your voice!” Josh exclaimed. I blushed, looking away.

“Where did you learn to sing?” Timmy asked. I laughed bitterly. “Where did I learn to play the piano? Or the guitar? Or maybe the violin or drums? In a fucking basement.” I spat. They flinched, and I sighed. “I’m sorry. I’m bitter. I’m sorry.” Josh shook his head.

“Why are you sorry? You have a right to be bitter. Now, what style do you go for?” I shrugged.

“Usually whatever fits.” Timmy laughed as Josh rolled his eyes. “I meant like prep? Goth? Scene?”

“Uhm, I’m not sure.”

“Do you like skinnies?” Timmy cut in. I nodded. “Do you like Band tees?” I nodded again. “Then you’re scene. Your hair kinda gave it away too.”

“I wasn’t allowed to have a say in what went on with my hair.” I pointed out. Josh gave me a look.

“What did you have a say on, then?”

“Honestly? Nothing. He judged what he was going to do by my behavior and his mood. And he was bipolar or something, so I could never really tell what was going to happen.” Josh shook his head and Timmy leaned over the seat to wrap his arms around my shoulders. “Well, you’re home now sis.” I leaned into his embrace, then patted his hands. “You better sit down before a cop sees. “

“Too late.” Josh muttered as we pulled into the mall parking lot, a cop fallowing. Josh rolled down the window.

“Hello officer.” The officer bent to see all of us, and his eyes landed on me.

“You’re that girl that they found in Colorado.” He said in a surprised voice. I shrugged. “yeah, I am.” He looked at Timmy, who smiled innocently. “what where you doing?”

“Hugging my sister!” he cried, flinging himself foreward and hugging me again. I smiled slightly, and the officer smiled back. “ok then. Have a good day.” He walked off, and both boys looked at me. “You, are awesome. Common. First stop is the phone store, mom wants you to have one.”
“How do you know that?” I asked, confused. He waved his phone in my face. “Texting?” I grinned. “She finally let you have texting, huh?”

“Don’t even get me started on that subject.” He joked. I shook my head, sighing. Timmy looped his arm through mine and began skipping, dragging me along. “Let’s go! I think I see Tammy!” he exclaimed, going faster. I shook his hold off of my arm and I was able to stumble to a stop while he took off after a blonde haired girl. Josh put his arm around me, waiting for me to walk.

“We’re really glad to have you back, you know. We’ve missed you so much. Timmy insisted on every one of your birthdays to have a cake.” I felt my eyes sting slightly. “Why?”

“Because we love you.” I hugged him loosely. “Thanks. I needed to hear that.” I murmured, stepping into the mall.

“who are they?” I asked, confused. There was a bunch of guys sitting around the fountain in the middle of the mall, strumming guitars and tuneing drums and stuff. I looked at Josh, who grinned, and then Timmy, who just shrugged.

“Some friends of mine from high school. Come on, I’ll introduce you.” I groaned. My feet where killing me, we’d spent almost two hours in here already. I was now changed into an all time low tee and a pair of black acid wash skinnies, along with zebra printed converses. Josh grabbed my hand, and dragged me to the fountain, where all the guys looked up. There was probably six of them.

“Josh! Why are you in?” a guy with non-dyed black hair asked. He had a lip ring, and a fender resting in his lap. He shot me a curious glance. Josh rubbed the back of his neck, glancing at me as well. I shrugged, and he sighed.

“You know how I said I used to have a sister, until she was kidnapped and they couldn’t find her? Well, they found her.” He motioned to me, and suddenly all eyes where zeroed in on me. Lip ring grinned.

“I can see the resemblance. Same nose, same eyes. Same, I can take on the world attitude.” I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms. Inside I was shocked, but I knew not to show that.

“Well, anyway, she asked who you guys where, and since I know you all so well, I figured introductions where in order.” Josh turned to Timmy.

“Go get us some drinks?” Timmy groaned. “Joosh, I don’t wannnaa.” He whined. I turned to him and looped my arm through his. “But I want a smoothie! I haven’t had one in such a long time. The last time I had one was when me, you, and dad went to get one on your birthday. Please get me one?” I asked. He grinned immediately. “Sure! Gimme the card.” I pulled the card out, and my phone clattered to the floor. Josh scooped it up, shaking his head.

“You’ve dropped this thing three times now. You are so lucky I thought ahead and got an otterbox for it.” I stuck my tongue out at him, and he grinned at me.

“Are you sure she’s been gone for 5 years? You act like it was only 5 minutes.” Lip ring inturupted. Sounds of agreement came from the other guys.

“Gretch, shut up.” I froze, looking at Josh with a wide eyed look. He gasped. “Gretchil! His real name is Gretchil!” he corrected, touching my arm lightly. I took in a long, shuddering breath.

“Sorry.” I muttered. Everyone gave me a confused look.

“Gretchin. The guy that took her, his name was Gretchin. Everyone in town would call him Gretch.” Gretch grimaced. “I’m sorry.” I smiled, sitting on the fountain slightly away from everyone. “It’s not your fault.” Josh stood next to me. “So, That’s Gretch. That’s Johnny,- he pointed to a brown haired guy leaning over a pair of drums, air playing and oblivious to the world- and then there’s Freddy,- he pointed to a red headed kid, probably about 6’5, who looked up at his name and grinned at me before going back to tuning his Acoustic- then, the other red head is his twin, Frank, and the blonde over there air singing into the… is that a straw? Anyway, his name is Brian. Ignore him. And, finally, on the sax, is my favorite, Tristian.” the guy turned at his name, and gave me a small smile, snakebites and all. His hair was brown with blonde natural highlights.

“Hey. Sorry, I was kind of zoned out. Who are you?” I shook my head as Josh sighed. “My little sister. You know, the one who was missing? That’s why I’m in.” Trisitan turned to josh, wide eyed. “When did YOU get in!? and why didn’t you call!?” I smiled at josh as he groaned. “Really? I got in this morning, and I’ve been shopping. I’m in for the week, but then I gotta go. You know, since I actually went to college?” all the boys snickered.

“So, what grade are you in?” Fred asked, strumming his guitar to a familiar song. I grinned. “Fallen angels on the acoustic? Different. And technically I’m a sophmore in college, but I’m 17.” Josh’s head snapped my way, and I shrugged one shoulder.

“HE said he didn’t want a stupid bitch, just a bitch.” He flinched, and everyone else looked at me, shocked.

“They found you, what, a few days ago? How are you so… calm?” Gretch asked. I shrugged. “I was in a basement most of the time. I was isolated. Now I have my family back,- I punched josh’s shoulder playfully- not that I’m sure that’s a good thing yet, but I have them back, and that’s all that matters to me.” Gretch shook his head, like he didn’t believe me. I twisted to give him a look, and someone tackled me from behind, almost sending both of us into the fountain.
“Timmy!” I exclaimed as I heard him Laugh. He gave me my lemon/strawberry smoothie. “Here you go, sis! Mom called, she said she got an emergency call in, she wont be home until late.” The boys all exchanged looks. “Let’s head back to Joshes place!”
♠ ♠ ♠
i know i promised that this would be up last night but the internet crashed. so, i'm putting this one and the next chapter up in consolation. sorry!