Status: on hold :: set up issues

The Jamestown Virginia School for Gifted Minors

2 - Estefani

I woke gently, my head still on the plush pillow, and the white comforter hanging around my body. My room was cold, just how I liked it, and for some reason my heart felt the same today.

It was only four in the morning, but it felt like I just ran a marathon even though I haven't even left bed yet. Today I would be heading for America, leaving my brothers, my responsibilities, and my life behind.

Rolling the covers off of me I exited my bed, goose bumps appearing all over from the frigid temperature. I entered the brightly lit bathroom connected to my bedroom, and didn't bother looking in the mirror, hell I looked the same every morning, what could possibly be any different today? Maybe more depressed eyes, I scoffed as I turned on the water, the temperature hot.

Stripping I quickly got inside the old fashioned tub, and slid down, water engulfing my slender body.

Various thoughts entered my mind.

Today would be the day that changed the path of my life forever. I'd be altered in some type of way. Whether that change be negative or positive some difference would ensue. I'd also be alone. The only people that I was close with were my two brothers. That privileged would be stripped from me. I'd be lonely, but I'd get over it. I had to.

"Estef." I heard the voice of Antonio, my older brother through the heavy wooden door.

"Yes?" I asked quietly, timidly.

"Can I come in?" He asked. I drew the dark shower curtain around the tub, blocking out the world.

"Yeah..." I trailed off, sinking deeper into the tub, knowing that the conversation which was about to take place would be some type of painful.

The door opened smoothly, and I heard his foot steps, probably still in his sneakers and outfit from the night before. Antonio was a hustler to say the least. He got his own money, he didn't need my father's help. He paid rent, and bought his own things. Sure his business was legal, but at least he worked.

"You're leaving today." He spoke. It wasn't a question, it was a statement.

"Yeah I'm leaving today." I replied, shock still engulfed me.

"I'm ... It's fucked up I can't stop you, or save you from going." Antonio pushed out the sorrow. He never expressed his feelings. None of us did, feelings and emotions were weakness. I gave a hurt smile. Tears began building up in my eyes.

"It's okay, Antonio. I know nothing could be done..." I slipped the words out with force. My father was making me leave, and whatever my father said had to be followed. That was how it always was, and that is how it will be until his death. He controlled every aspect of every body's life around here. He was the Puerto Rican King. Everybody on every corner worked for him. Every type of currency circulating here was from him.

"You'll be fine.. you know that right?"

I let out a laugh. I loved my brother in all honesty, he was a comical figure even when he wasn't meaning to be.

"Yes Antonio, I know." I scoffed to him, poking my head out of the curtain and smiling at him. I was right, he was still dressed in the clothes he wore before going out last night.

"Stefani?" I heard Carlito, my younger brother of a mere 9 months.

"Come in." I sighed, it was like a damn party in my bathroom.

"Damn, it's like a party in here." Carlito let out a small chuckle, but it was empty.

"What time is it?" I questioned.

"It's almost five thirty." Antonio replied. I nodded. I'd be leaving my two best friends behind.

"Stef, I'm goin' to miss you." Carlito looked at me intensely. The blue yes all of us shared burned into my soul.

"I'll miss you both." Tears threatened to spill, but I was stronger than that.

" You know my number, I'll be over there if anybody gives you any fuckin' problems." Antonio growled.

I laughed, gently wiping the stray tear that left my eye.

"Get out I got to get dressed." I tried to hide my pain.

"I'll be waiting to drive you to the airport." Carlito spoke, leaving, as Antonio nodded, shutting the door after the two of them.

I sighed, looking up to the white ceiling, and trying to avoid tears.

This wasn't fair. Not at all. I was going to be surrounded by a bunch of stuck up preppy kids, smart off their asses, or too spoiled to do shit. I didn't want to leave Puerto Rico. I didn't want to go anywhere. I was fine here, everything was going great! Why did he have to do this to me? It wasn't for protection, everyone knew that was bullshit.

I sucked it up, and stood, draining the tub, and exiting the bathroom with a towel around me, freezing as I entered my room.

I let my long hair out of the restriction of my pony tail, and it fell down my back. I was too lazy to ever do anything with it, so it hung in wavy curls of brown. I never wore make up, except for lip stick, or lip gloss. I grabbed the outfit that I laid out the night before and quickly threw it on.

Grabbing the luggage I packed I slowly opened my door, my two brothers waiting outside for me. They could sense my sadness, and I know that it affected them negatively. My father was busy, and didn't bother saying his good byes as my brothers and I left, driving solemnly to the airport. No body spoke as we all knew the that the course of all of lives would change in some form.

Arriving at the airport we all parted quickly before any emotions or sentimental things could sink in and cause us any pain, or any tears that we all would not dare to shed.

"I love you both," I smiled with tears in my eyes.

"I love you." Carlito gave me a hug, his embrace tight and loving.

"I love ya 'Stef." Antonio nodded, grabbing me with force and hugging me tightly, I tried my hardest to not cry.

"Bye guys." I sighed, heading to my flight.

The flight wasn't too long, and I was awake for the entire flight. I was tired, emotionally. Nothing else was affecting me in any type of way. I was just going to miss my brothers. That was all. I hated change and this was the biggest change I;I've ever experienced.

I left the flight, thankful that I was very close to the new school I'd be boarding at. I was just afraid, afraid that i was not going to be able to control my temper. I was a loose cannon, and if anybody tried me I'd go off.

Grabbing my luggage and grabbing the nearest cab I left the airport, the shock still beating in my heart.

This wasn't Puerto Rico. I was in some country side in the United States. I wasn't used to this, There was grass when I saw cement. Murals when I was used to seeing graffiti.

"Miss, we are here." I heard the driver speak, as he broke me out of my thoughts.

I gave him money, as well as a generous tip and exited the car, taking me luggage with me. The stairs were cement, and the building was gorgeous, old and Victorian style. Making my way up the stairs I came into contact with the entrance, and braced myself.

Inside was just as beautiful as the outside, just a bit more modern.

I was scanned over by the guards, and my luggage was checked. I knew better than to pack anything illegal, especially in my suitcase. People that do this type of shit must be retarded and shouldn't even be allowed to be enrolled in this facility.

"Your dorm number, and the key." A man handed me a key with a number printed on the paper attached to it.

"Thank you." I nodded, making my way through the building, and praying that I wasn't roomed with a snob.

God, I already missed Puerto Rico.