Status: active

Just My Luck

all that counts is here and now;

"You're American. That explains the accent," the woman, Ollie learned her name was Kate, stated.

The younger girl nodded.

"So you had a spell of misfortune; you can't have 'the worst luck in the world' after one little mistake."

Ollie sighed. "I wish getting caught at that party was the worst part of it all but I can honestly say it's not."

"Well, then continue," Kate insisted.

-----------

Nearly two weeks later, the school year had ended. Ollie's bags were packed, plane ticket purchased and her grandparents supposedly awaiting her arrival. Ollie was not happy, at all. To be accurate, she was furious. Her parents weren't letting her little mistake go. They were beyond convincing and in the those two weeks, avoided her at all costs. Which made her even more angry. Though, she wasn't the only one taking it hard.

Alex's sniffles filled the silence of the car ride to the airport. Ollie felt like he was taking the whole thing a lot harder than she was. The minute her parents told him she was going to London for the summer, he insisted upon going, too. When their parents refused, he burst into tears.

Ollie had always had some sort of weird friendship with her little brother. She thought of him as her closest friend, actually. She knew most teenagers would never admit that about their siblings, but she didn't care. Alex never judged her and he supported her. Even though there was a seven year age gap between them, they were still close. He was actually pretty mature for a ten year old.

The Gellar family stood together just before Ollie had to go through security. Joshua and Margret stayed quiet as Ollie and Alex hugged.

"Al, I'll be home before you know it," Ollie whispered, soothingly to her younger brother. She gave him a reassuring smile and ruffled his brown hair. He didn't reply, only nodded. Ollie turned to her parents and gave them both robotic hugs. Neither said anything, only gave nods, like Alex.

"Bye, bud," she tried one more time to get Alex to reply. The boy sighed and grinned.

"Bye, sis."

------------

The flight to London was long but bearable. It did pass by pretty quickly, though rather boring. Her mind kept wandering from the movie being played, whatever it was. She stared out the window for a majority of the trip.

To say she was still mad would be correct, but it wasn't the same furious feeling she had for her parents after telling her they were sending her to London. The more she thought about it in the days leading to her departure, the more a vacation away from her parents sounded appealing. Yes, she had a lot of things she needed to get done for her senior year of high school but she was only going to be gone for two months; she had plenty of time to worry about that later. And she was sure that she would have a lot of free time during this trip anyway. Her grandparents weren't the liveliest of people.

Once Ollie was off the plan, carry-on bag in hand, she set out for the rest of her luggage. She watched the luggage claim conveyor belt go around for several minutes but never saw her own bags.

"Are you serious?" she mumbled to herself, watching for a little longer. Still nothing. "That's just great."

After talking to someone that worked in the airport, Ollie was told her luggage was more than likely lost and they would send it to her when they found it.

Frustrated, Ollie went outside to catch a cab, only to find that her wallet had been with her luggage. At that point, she was questioning her own competence. Why on earth had she left her wallet in her suitcase instead of carrying it with her?

"This day just gets better and better, doesn't it?"

If you didn't catch that, that was a thing called sarcasm. Ollie felt herself fluent in the language. It was part of her regular vocabulary. Just another thing that some people seemed to love, her I-don't-give-a-fuck attitude. They thought it was cool; like 'Hey, this girl is a complete bitch to me! She must be cool.' It never made sense to her and probably never would. She really didn't care about impressing other people. She only wanted to do well in school, graduate and go to college. Nothing less than the best, as her parents liked to say.

Ollie found someone who was native to London and gave them address of her grandparent's apartment. The nice man pointed her in the right direction. Apparently, he wasn’t actually nice enough to take her there. So, being 'completely rational,' she decided to walk and possibly hitchhike there. When you're angry and in a foreign country, you don't exactly make smart decisions.

All the while she was walking; she hadn’t noticed the gray clouds that threatened to bring a storm. When she felt the first drop of water fall on her nose, she looked up and stopped. Then, all at once, it seemed, rain started pouring down. Ollie threw her arms up in frustration.

“Thank you, I appreciate that,” she yelled at the sky. “What else do you have for me, huh?”

“Um, excuse me, are you talking to the rain?” Ollie heard someone ask. She spun around quickly to look at whoever it was. It was a young looking guy with that swoopy hairstyle that a lot of boys seemed to have nowadays. He was standing next to the open door of a black SUV and Ollie saw a few other boys peeking out of the car at her.

To at least spare the little dignity she had left, Ollie pushed her now soaked hair from her face and stood up a little straighter.

“Yes, I was actually.”

“I see. How is that working out? Did you get a reply?” He had a stupid little smirk on his face.
He was mocking her. She caught on to that quickly and rolled her eyes at him. She was really not in the mood to deal with this random guy right then. Especially not one who was just going to joke.

“Do you need a ride?” the boy asked, taking a few steps towards her.

Ollie sighed. What exactly did she have to lose? She was broke, luggage-less, soaked, and most likely lost. What harm could getting into a car full of strangers do?

Well, she was about to find out.
♠ ♠ ♠
omg this chapter is awful, excuse me. and it's short, omg. It moved really fast because i really just wanted to add One Direction in quickly. Sorryyy. I suck.
Thanks to those who commented on the first chapter (: I know you couldn't resist Louis.
So this time to convince you to comment we have Zayn:
Image
~le dead cause of hips~
I feel like my author's notes are sometimes longer than the chapter, oh well.
lawlz, if you have a tumblr you should follow me, cause I'll follow you back. ni-allshoran.tumblr.com
Or twittah: @caitieenichole
shameless self promotion
Ya know, whatever.
{chapter title credit: glad you came by the wanted}