Sequel: The Lights
Status: One-Shot

Lightning

A Little Bit Frightening, We Might As Well Be Playing With Lighting

The house was packed from floor to ceiling. Or at least it seemed that way. Music blared from the speakers in the corner, the college kids all but screwing each other with their clothes on. The smell of spilled alcohol and vomit made Michael cringe.

Michael sipped at the beer, barely feeling it slide down his throat as he leaned against the far wall, hopefully away from any contact with moronic partiers. Maybe going out for the night hadn't been the best idea...One of his 'friends' had told him about the party and the chance to forget Jess' stupidity was hard to ignore. However, it only showed Michael how stupid the rest of the young adult population could be. They were there partying it up, never once thinking that their lives could be changed in the blink of an eye.

One girl ran by him, completely naked, and that was enough. The werewolf quickly escaped to the back hallways, where the bass still thumped, but it could be ignored.

What couldn't be ignored was how Michael was going to explain his begrudges to Jess. Sean was his friend—yes—but Sean was also a heartbreaking man-whore. Jess didn't need that kind of guy in her life. Michael wasn't thinking of himself for her; they were best friends and nothing else. But there was something Michael felt was missing from his own life and he hoped it wasn't his best friend. It couldn't be. If him and Jess were meant to be, it would have already happened. Right?

An annoyed sigh escaped Michael's lips, the decision to just leave made, until he saw the group in one of the rooms. It was only a handful of laughing people. Michael stood in the doorway, examining the Twister mat on the floor.

“Hey, Michael!” Michael's eyes snapped up at the voice. It was a girl—whose name escaped him—who brought her old clunker into the shop often. She was always friendly and seemed to come to see Michael more than for something involving her car. Michael had absolutely no interest in her. Too much of a floozy. “Come on in!” she exclaimed, patting the seat next to her. “We're about to play Twister. Wanna join?”

“Sure,” Michael said, sitting next to Floozy. She immediately scooted closer so their legs touched. Michael rolled his eyes—an action that went unnoticed under his cap bill. None of these kids seemed intoxicated, however, which made the werewolf warm up to them immediately.

Michael felt the tingle, as if eyes were on him, and looked across the small room. A girl with dark hair quickly dropped her eyes and shifted to talking to her friend. When she glanced back at Michael, he was still watching her, and she blushed. Realizing what he was doing, he went back to examining the Twister mat. He swallowed. What the heck was that feeling?

They were a fun-loving bunch, easy to get along with. Soon enough, Michael found himself in a rather uncomfortable position, even for a flexible werewolf, but he was grinning. The dark haired girl spun her next move.

Right hand on green. She searched for the green dot and her eyes widened when she saw reaching over the curly-haired werewolf was the only one available. She looked at him and Michael's smile grew.

“I don't bite,” he said and winked. “Much.” The young woman returned his smile and reached over him.

“My turn!” Floozy shouted and smiled promiscuously at Michael, who looked at her bluntly. She spun and went to place her foot on the red dot, when her balance faultered and she fell over on a guy with spiked, red hair. And the chain of dominoes began.

The dark haired girl was ran into from the side and lost her balance, falling onto of Michael who hit the floor with an “umph!”

“Oh my gosh!” she exclaimed, her face turning pink, when she saw how close their faces were. “I'm so...sorry...” She trailed off, amazed by the golden color of the boy's eyes. Michael swallowed hard; his tongue seemed to be glued to roof of his mouth. Her hand resting on his chest made his heart beat faster inside. The girl blinked, as if the increase in his heartbeat broke the link. “You have really pretty eyes,” she said and then blushed deeper. “That was...”

“No, no its fine.” Michael smiled reassuringly at her.

Someone cleared their throat and Michael looked over the girl's shoulder as she turned her head. Floozy was glaring down at them. “You guys done yet?” she asked shortly.

The girl quickly got up and fixed her brown hair nervously. Michael got to his feet and the girl went to walk away, but he touched her arm. She looked back at him, eyes wide. “I'm Michael,” the werewolf said, holding out his hand.

The girl took it and gave him a small smile. “Britany.”

“Nice to meet you,” answered Michael, tipping his hat to her. He looked back at the group of college kids who seemed to be getting ready for another game. “You wanna go...talk?” Wow. That sounded stupid. Michael inwardly growled at himself, but Britany smiled.

“Sure,” she answered and the two left the room. “This place is so packed,” Britany grumbled after being nearly plowed over my a group of toga-wearing guys if it hadn't been for Michael's fast reflexes.

Without thinking, Michael slipped his hand into hers. A spark resonated between them and he almost pulled away, it was so strong. His heart started beating faster again. What the hell was wrong with him tonight? He quickly regained his composure. “Come on,” he said, nodding up the stairs. Britany didn't protest or pull away. Instead, she just followed him.

Michael had seen a balcony before he'd went inside. There had to be a way to get out there from the interior of the house. They passed the rooms, some occupied with horny couples. A patio door was at the end of the broad hallway and Michael slid it open, letting Britany out before him. She shivered and wrapped her arms around herself. Michael saw and unzipped his sweatshirt, offering it to her. She took it hesitantly.

“Thanks,” she said, draping it over her shoulders.

Michael nodded and leaned against the balcony railing. “So...you from here?”

“No, I'm from up north, but I go to college here in Billings. How about you?”

“I'm from Winner, South Dakota, originally,” Michael answered.

“What brought you here?”

Michael opened his mouth, then closed it. He was never that good at lying. “Issues,” he said.

“I see.”

“What are you studying?”

“Business,” said Britany. “Did you go to college?”

“Nope,” Michael said, popping the 'p'. “I'm a mechanic in Columbus.”

“Cool.” She sounded sincere. “Why didn't you go to college?”

“Issues.” Britany nodded dubiously and Michael smiled. “Sorry, I'm a really boring person.”

“No, you're not,” she answered, smiling back. “I'd say more...mysterious than boring.”

When she smiled at him, it seemed to steal all the air from his lungs. Michael gripped his crossed arms, trying regain his control again. It was becoming clear what that girl was doing to him, but he wasn't ready to believe what the reason was.

Who was he kidding? As soon as he'd seen Britany that first time, it happened. The shock that shot through every cell of his body and sent his heart lurching. It was nearly indescribable. As he watched her illuminated face in the moonlight, Michael knew. He just did. She now held his heart in her hands and she'd be able to break it and crush it as many times as she wanted; Michael wouldn't care. He was now hers and for some reason he didn't mind the absence of freedom. Something told him this is what he wanted and it was what he was made for.

“So...” Britany paused and Michael realized he'd be staring at her the entire time. He quickly averted his eyes to the lawn beneath them. “Do you have a girlfriend?”

“No,” he answered. “But I think I might have found the girl I've been looking for.”

“Oh...” The sigh that escaped Britany's lips was deflated. “I hope things work out for you then.” Michael saw the crestfallen look on her face. She turned to leave, but he touched her shoulder. She looked up at him solemnly.

Did she really feel the same way for him? By the look on her face, he really wondered. Michael sucked in a deep breath. “I was talking about you.”

It took several seconds for Britany's face to change from disappointment to confusion and to let the words sink in. Her dark eyes blinked at him. “What?”

Michael quickly removed his hand from her shoulder. “Yeah, that totally came out creeper-ish, didn't it?”

To his own surprise, Britany smiled at him. “No, I don't think so. I mean...”

“Why don't we go out sometime...say next Saturday? We can grab something to eat if you want.” Michael flashed one of his famous, heartfelt smiles.

The brunette grinned. “I'd like that.”

Image

“Michael?” Britany turned around and around in the water, eyes searching for the curly head to bob up. He'd been under for nearly three minutes. “Michael!”

A hand suddenly grabbed her leg and attempted to pull her under. She shrieked and jumped away as Michael's head broke from the water. He was laughing, shaking his curls out like a wet dog. When he pushed them back from his face, he grinned at Britany's pout. “What?”

She splashed him. “You scared me.”

“Aww,” he said, grabbing her hands and pulling her closer. “I'm sorry, babe.”

Britany gave him a dubious look. “You don't sound like it.”

Michael continued to pull her closer and closer until their chests touched. His hands ran up her arms. “I am,” he promised softly. He pressed his lips to hers to prove his point. He didn't know if it happened to her, but every time their lips touched, his world fell right into place. Actually, anytime she touched him—at all—his heart traipsed around in his chest. She had complete control over him and she didn't even know it.

After they climbed out of the lake and dried off, Michael grabbed the sandwiches out of the cooler and they shared them, talking away as the sun slowly sank behind the trees at their backs. They'd had been in a relationship for only two months. Soon, school would start up for her again, and their summer romance would be hindered. Neither of them felt like it was “just a fling”, like most people seemed to have in the months of heat.

There was that connection between them that confused Britany at first. It just seemed like they fit perfectly together. At first, fear crept up on her. Never had something so strong happened to her. But the way Michael treated her, actually showed her that she was his entire world, had quickly dwindled that fear into nothing. Sometimes, she still wondered what it was that brought them so close together in so little time.

Michael—of course—knew what it was. He didn't know when or if he could ever tell Britany what it was. Or what he was. Right then, all he wanted was to enjoy the way she fit perfectly next to him as they laid down in the back of his pickup, watching the stars wink at them from the milky, obsidian sky.

“Michael?”

“Hm?”

Britany shifted onto her side, laying her hand on his bare chest, over his heart. “Is this going to last?”

Michael's head turned to gaze at her. That intense, golden stare that sent her face flaming. “Only if you want it to.”

“I do.”

“Then, it will.”

“I've been told that before,” Britany admitted. “And look where I was.”

Michael reached over himself to touch her cheek. She closed her eyes at him gentle touch. “I'll never hurt you. I'll always be here.”

“I just don't know if I can trust you,” said Britany. “Its moving so fast...”

“I know,” Michael whispered. “I know its scary, but I promise I'll never leave you unless you want it.”

“That's what scares me. I—I don't want it...Right now all I think about is being with you.”

Michael smiled. “I'm fine with that.”

Britany's own face brightened with a small smile. “You won't ever leave me?”

Closing his eyes, Michael kissed her forehead, and her own eyes fluttered closed. His warm breath blew across her skin as he spoke. “Never.”

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
A revival of one of my favorite characters. I forgot how much I missed Michael. :'(

A very belated birthday present to Britany. Much love to you, hun. :)

Comments?