Status: Now Finished =)

Blind Photographs

Everybody Hide

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, hey, D! Come on out.”

I didn’t hear footsteps, but more of a sticky noise as something moved across the tiles.

“Doctor Death Defying, this is Photo. Photo, a little to your left is his hand.” I shook it once I found it. Slightly calloused, but not rough. Like Jet Star's hands, but smaller and not as warm.

“Why don’t your feet make noise?” I asked.

“It’s the chair, Sunshine. Almost got ghosted a long time ago. Legs are useless but the rest of me’s fine.”

“Have you been here in the diner the whole time?” I asked, embarrassed.

“Yeah, but when I’m out, you’re usually in, and when you’re out, I’m in. Show Pony helps me get around. I wish he’d get back a little faster, though.”

“Can you help her out? There’s someone in her head.”

“It’s not so much a helpable problem,” I interjected.

“She’s right, but there is one thing we could try,” He said thoughtfully. “I’m not sure if it’ll even work, but it can’t hurt to try, right?”

“Are you gonna do an extra ism?” Grace asked.

“Extra ism?” The Kobra Kid repeated.

“With the candles and the Bible and the water,” She clarified.

“Who taught you about exorcisms?”

“Poison, and he said that they get the things inside of you outside.”

“You’re right, Boom Box. And that’s what I’m going to try. You alright with that, Photo?”

I thought about it. Radio Heat was not supposed to be in my head, necessarily, but she did help me out from time to time. This was my body, though.

“Yeah, I’m okay with that. When do we start?”

“As soon as I dig up something Latin.”

“Doctor D, don’t you need to be a priest or something?”

“Think about it. What is a priest?”

“Someone who says stuff from the Bible?”

"So what's the Bible?"

"The book of God," Party Poison tried.

“And what is god?” Nobody answered.

“The way I see it, god’s just something that gives guidance through little things. Priests just amplify that so everyone can hear, through the Bible. What’s my job?”

“You’re a radio pirate.”

“And what do I do?”

“You tell us where there’s block ups and tell us to keep running.”

“Exactly. Out here, I’m the closest thing.” I could feel the incredulous stares being thrown at the man. “Put her on the counter, Boom Box, you know where we keep our candles.”

I braced myself as Jet Star helped me onto the diner counter. I heard metal scraping, probably moving equipment to make room for me. I felt the slight warmth from the candles as Doctor Death Defying chanted words I couldn’t understand. They smelled like some kind of flower. It mixed oddly with the smell of unwashed male that was always lingering. Grace held my hand. My eyes shut tighter as his words got louder.

“Recéde!” My body lurched. He yelled it again.

And then it was over.

She was gone.

Banished from my mind. I could feel the emptiness set in. I’d almost forgotten what it felt like. Nice, but lonely at the same time.

“You good?”

“Yeah, actually. Can Boom Box come to practice today?”

“Sure, that’ll help you tell friend from-” I put up my arms and felt his push against mine. “Foe. You’re getting better at this, we just need to get you used to your surroundings before we put a gun in those hands. Actually, everyone outside. This should be a fun game.”

There were two teams. We were all given a water gun to show whose aim was good without actually, you know, killing anyone.

“I’m Korse, and these are my S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W's!” Fun Ghoul yelled excitedly. “You don’t stand a chance! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!” I shot in his direction.

“Missed me, missed me, now you gotta kiss Gee!”

“Ghoul!” Party Poison barked.

I turned in his direction and then dropped to my knees. Losing one of your senses makes all of your other ones clearer. It was like something out of a dream, really. I heard the trigger being pulled, the crunch of sand from Jet Star stepping forward, almost smelled the change in humidity. It was amazing. Time returned into full speed and I kept shooting. I laughed, feeling powerful, and wanted. Really wanted. Not like with the Meds, where I was there for Lithium’s maternal needs, or the Ghosts, where I acted as messenger. I understood why Grace loved them so much now.

It was because they loved her.

And I loved them too. I gasped as an arm curled around my waist and someone was running with me.

“You’re not ready to fight yet. Take Boom Box. She’ll help you get down into the basement. Just stay there. If we’re not back in an hour, we’re good as dead. Don’t come after us. Dr. D will be down there. He’ll explain this. Now go!” Jet Star barked, dropping me behind the counter.

I landed with a crack on my knees. Whimpering slightly, I crawled into the kitchen, holding onto Grace’s belt. She helped me down the ramp into the basement and I heard the tile fall softly back into place.

“They’re after Boom Box. They think they can still change her. Do you know if they saw you?” Dr. D explained.