Long, Long Time

2:54 PM - 3:16 PM

“Well here we are. The Wild Horses Country Club. It'll be 37.75,” Then the taxi driver looked down and grinned sheepishly, “Would you mind signing something?”

I pulled a fifty from my wallet and handed it over, “Not at all. Do you have a pen?”

The driver's face lit up as he graciously took the money and handed me a Sharpie and his Toronto Blue Jays baseball cap.

“Thanks for the ride. Steven Stamkos #91” I signed with a flourish. “Keep the change,” I grab my duffel and make my way to the Country Club. The lobby was completely empty and I could see why. Through the large windows, I could see the elaborate set up they had made for Sarah's wedding. As if on cue, the string quartet began playing and Sarah walked out looking like a dream in cream lace, arm in arm with Dad.

A pang of guilt hit me in the chest. I should be out there. I should be one of those groomsmen.

It wasn't till they reached the alter, did I see Dad crying. I've only seen Dad cry once and that was when Grandpa died. I looked at the groomsmen, some familiar faces. Tommy, George, Ethan. On the other side, there was Jenny, Sam and of course Carly with her flaming red hair. Sarah's golden crown of hair was pulled into a bun at the base of her neck and Phil had for once, his hair combed and gelled into place.

“I do.”

“I do.”

It was odd but in that moment all I could do was put my hand up to the glass. Sure I could have walked through the door and joined them but it didn't seem right to. Yeah everyone there was friends and family but at the same time, I didn't belong. Suddenly my suit seemed too dark, too severe. My shoes too shiny and pointy. My watch too large and blingy. My sunglasses gaudy and out-of-place.

It was all too much.
♠ ♠ ♠
The next few chapters after this will be focusing on the song I was given and the relationship Steven and Carly had/have.