Long, Long Time

3:20 PM - 7:47 PM

“Steve!” Sarah exclaimed, eyes wide with surprise and glee, “You made it!”

I pulled her into a hug, “I wouldn't miss it for the world,” I looked up to see Mom nodding approvingly. “Sorry I was late. My flight was delayed.”

“Don't say sorry, when it isn't your fault,” said a familiar voice. Up close she looked different, more mature, I suppose. It's weird to think that the last time I saw her was four years ago, when we were 18. Her hair was longer then and more orange; now it was a dark auburn. Her skin was a touch paler now, or maybe I was just used to the tanned limbs of the Florida girls. Her lips were just as full as I remembered them, were they just as soft?

But her eyes. Those eyes were exactly the same.

That complicated mix of blue and green, framed by dark, full lashes.

“Well if it isn't Miss Carly Caine,” I smirked. “I suppose your right it was completely out of my control.”

She mockingly curtsied. A sickingly sweet smile plastered on her face. “I am honored that you have deemed us worthy of your presence.”

“Charlotte!” Sarah exclaimed. Oh Sarah! A true sister.

“What? The prodigal son returned, shouldn't we all be happy? All I'm saying is that it took you what? Four years to come and see us again. It's a little bit harsh don't you think?”

“Ignore her,” Sarah soothed, “We're so glad you're here. Besides, we all know how busy you are and really appreciate it.” Soon a cloud of people formed around me and seemed to follow me everywhere I went. Getting a glass of water, chatting with Tommy, eating lunch at the “VIP” table. All unsurprisingly, hockey related from encouragement to unwarranted advice and critiques to help on their fantasy pool. Of course there was also a good group of girls that flirted and swooned, when I paid them the smallest amount of attention. The girls I didn't mind so much. I kept finding myself looking for Carly, trying to see if she was watching me. If she would be the perennial green eyed monster that she really, truly was.

After the dessert was served, I snuck out of the crowded clubhouse and wandered the golf course before forcing a door open to the swimming pool. I couldn't take it anymore. All these voices yapping my ear was not what I signed up for. But then again what did I sign up for exactly?

A jet-set lifestyle? Adoring fans? The fame? The prestige?

No I didn't sign up for any of that.

I signed up to be able to do what I love.