Status: Finished

Man Like Me

The Downeys

Penelope scratched her eyes lazily as she let her body rest against the soft sheets of Robert’s bed. She was still thinking about Stark and about the fact that she wasn’t even mad. Well, she was a bit hurt but her love for Robert was suppressing that feeling so hard, that she barely felt anything. She was surprised at herself, in any other case she’d probably be furious but for some reason, she couldn’t be angry at Robert. She was actually delighted that her idol and her boyfriend were the same person. She had always wanted for Robert to open up to her, so she had to be patient and keep calm because she felt that he was almost ready to vent to her.

She remembered staying until late last night with Robert and falling asleep next to him on the couch and then she woke up alone in their bed without a sign of him. She assumed that he had gone for a run when the smell of waffles filled her nostrils. As she stopped in the doorway to the kitchen, she smiled instantly.

“Good morning Apple.” Robert said nervously as he served waffles into a plate and pulled a chair for her to sit.

She had never seen him look so nervous and anxious. He seemed to be trying to make it up to her but she wasn’t even mad so there wasn’t a need for any of this.

“Good morning Johnny.” She teased as she sat down and he hesitated before she pulled him down for a soft kiss. She felt him relax almost instantly.

“Did you sleep well?” Robert asked as he sat in front of her and poured milk into her cup.

“Yes, I slept well. Thanks for carrying me upstairs.” Penelope chuckled as Robert’s eyes immediately drew her into them.

“My pleasure.” He smiled as he took a sip from his coffee and stared at her again.

“What’s wrong?” Penelope asked with a puzzled look as Robert cleared his throat and apologized.

“I just have so many things to tell you.” He stated sighing “And I know it’s early but I’m afraid that if I don’t speak now, I won’t do it later.” He admitted.

“Now is just as good as any other time.” Penelope said confidently as she smiled softly at him.

“Well, this isn’t easy to recall and tell but there’s no other way to say it. Penelope… I was married once.” Robert started as Penelope’s smile seemed to sink. She had never expected for that to happen.

“Her name is Holly and we met when I was Majoring in Creative Writing and she was in Law school. We dated for 5 years and eventually got married.” Robert said his eyes wandering around the room as his expression turned darker, colder while Penelope didn’t even pick on her food. She just sat there motionless, simply breathing while listening to him.

Holly had been his first true love and recalling everything again was painful but Robert had come out if stronger and he wanted to tell Penelope the whole truth. Penelope was part of his life and the woman he loved, so he didn’t want to keep any secrets from her. Besides Holly was in the past and she didn’t mean anything to him except for hurtful memories.

“We lived together for two years and when I told her that I really wanted to be a father, she immediately threw the idea away because she wanted to focus on her career first.” Robert said with a hurt tone as he glanced briefly at Penelope, whose face was still stunned as she heard him closely.

“So instead, we adopted Cassey, Jarvis’s momma.” Robert said smiling as Penelope smiled back at him because to them Jarvis was so special and a bond between them. “Cassey brought the only happiness I had back then…” Robert nodded as his eyes began to water up and he bit the inside of his cheek as Penelope stood up and sat on his lap.

“I’m sorry…” He trailed as she ran her hand through his hair and he grasped her free hand in his while burying his head on her shoulder.

“It’s alright sweetheart.” Penelope said as she kissed the top of his head and noticed that he was shaking “We can talk about this later.”

“No…” Robert said lifting his head quickly, sobbing as furious tears soaked his cheeks wet. “I have to tell you this now… I need to tell you because I love you.” Robert said as Penelope hugged him and waited for him to proceed.

“H-Holly started to become extremely cold and cynical because her career wasn’t progressing like she wanted while mine was going well. She picked up every single thing to fight with me because she was frustrated.” Robert proceeded as Penelope felt extremely bad for him. Just by looking at him she realized that he had suffered so much and she knew that he didn’t deserve it.

“That’s when Stark was officially born. My books started getting popular and I got a heteronym because I’m an introvert and I like my privacy.” Robert explained as his tears ceased for the moment “Holly didn’t like that and out of the blue I found out that she was having an affair with a guy from her work.” Robert said as he sighed heavily “Typical, right?” He asked sarcastically as Penelope’s jaw dropped.

“You can’t be serious.” She said quietly as Robert shook his head.

“I’m serious. She cheated on me and I filed in for the divorce because I couldn’t bring myself to forgive her.” Robert paused, the sadness still very visible in him but that was nothing. He had been in a much darker place before.

“The divorce was long, painful and heart wrecking. She ended up taking Cassey as well and I was left alone. I turned to writing and wrote most of the books you love so much.” He said slightly demoralized as his eyes scanned her face again, searching for the love she always gave him.

“That’s why the books are so real.” Penelope realized “Because you based them off your personal experiences.” She said feeling her own heart sink.

She had never expected to learn something so sad about Robert and now she just wanted to hug him and comfort him forever. She just wanted for him to be happy and she’d do anything for that to happen.

“Exactly.” Robert said nodding his head, glad that she comprehended what he was saying. “After the divorce was official, she married the guy she cheated on me with.” Robert proceeded as Penelope’s eyes widened and she tensed up, trying to control what she really wanted to say.

“They moved in together and all that stuff and I heard that they had a baby together.” Robert said, now showing really how hurt and broken he was.

“What?” Penelope asked almost losing her voice as her lips dried up and she stared at him dumb folded “Robert, I’m so sorry that you had to go through all of this.” She said in pure disbelief and feeling helpless as to how to help him get over all of the things that hurt him in the past.

“Don’t be sorry.” Robert said as he turned to her and cupped her face in his hands “If it wasn’t for all of this, I would never have met you and I would never have fallen in love with you.” He said with contentment. “I did go through pain and suffering but it led me to you so it was worth it.”

With that Penelope embraced him close to her.

“I’ll never hurt you, I promise.” She said squeezing him tight as he smelled her hair and smiled “I
love you Robert.”

“I love you Penelope.” He said into her ear as she smiled and pulled away. He immediately snatched her lips in his passionately before she could attempt to stand up.

“Thanks for listening to me.” He said with a soft smile as she caressed his cheek.

“I’m here for you Robert.” She said, smiling.

“Nothing has changed? I mean, I bring a lot of package.” Robert said frowning a bit.

“Nothing has changed and well I have little package, so yours fits with mine perfectly.” She grinned as she kissed him sweetly.

“I have something to show you.” He said regaining his breath while smiling shyly at her.

“Oh what is it?” She asked excitedly as they stood up and he placed his arms around her from behind, guiding her towards the garden.

“YOU DID IT!” Penelope yelled excitedly as she turned around in his embrace and filled his face with small kisses “Thank you!”

Robert laughed wholeheartedly as he encouraged her to go and try the swing he had built for her. He stood behind as she walked to the swing and sat on it with a happy smile while observing the trees in front of her and the far away lake.

“Do I look alright?” She asked as she analyzed the black dress and bit her bottom lip, wondering if she looked too fancy for a family dinner.

Robert came from the bathroom, wearing a suit and stopped behind Penelope, his eyes scanning her body carefully.

“You look stunning.” He said as Penelope smiled and chuckled.

“Thank you. You look very handsome yourself.” She said as she observed both of them in the mirror and felt her heart flutter.

Robert was so much more than she expected, she was so much happier than she thought and tonight they were taking an important step: Penelope was going to meet Robert’s parents. As they arrived at the discrete house, Penelope felt butterflies all over her stomach. Robert had told her wonders about his parents but it always nerve-wracking to meet your in-laws. The door was opened my Robert’s mother and she immediately smiled as she hugged his son and welcome Penelope inside.

“We couldn’t wait to meet you dear. Robert told us so much about you.” She said dearly as she accompanied Penelope into the living room.

“But his description fell short, you are much more beautiful than he described.” Robert’s father said as he came from the kitchen and smiled at Penelope as the family laughed and she blushed while Robert placed his arm around her shoulder.

“Thank you, Mr. Downey.” Penelope said politely as his parents put her at easy easily.

Dinner went on nicely and as Mr. Downey took Robert upstairs to show him something, Penelope found herself alone with Mrs. Downey.

“Robert told us that you are living together.” Mrs. Downey said as Penelope was helping her in the kitchen.

“For about a month now, actually.” Penelope said with a smile as Mrs. Downey invited her to sit by the kitchen table and have some cookies.

“And how is it going?” She questioned, obviously concerned with the fact that Robert’s love past hadn’t been good.

She had watched her son emerge from a deep depression and now she was afraid that something might push him down again so she needed to make sure that Penelope was a good person for her son.

“Your son makes me very happy.” Penelope said honestly “I won’t ever be able to thank him enough for welcoming me into his life.” Penelope said with a twinkle in her eye making Mrs. Downey smile proudly.

“I’m glad to hear it.” Mrs. Downey said grabbing Penelope’s hand in hers dearly “Robert hasn’t been lucky in love as you may know.” She said a bit apprehensively as she shrugged off her fears
“My mind is rested. You seem like a fine girl for him.”

“Thank you Mrs. Downey. I’m glad to hear that.” Penelope said with a soft smile.

“What about your family dear? Has Robert met them yet?”

Penelope grew slightly pale at Mrs. Downey’s question, earning a worried look from the woman.

“Oh I’m sorry dear. I didn’t mean to touch any hard subjects.” She said apologetically as Penelope frowned slightly.

“It’s alright Mrs. Downey, my family is just a very sensitive topic.” Penelope started cleaning her throat “Robert has met my father and my older brother. They all got along very well immediately. My mother is a different subject unfortunately.”

“How so dear?” Mrs. Downey asked “You can talk to me about it if you’d like.” She said nicely.

“Well, I don’t mean to pester you with my problems…” Penelope drifted as the expression in the woman’s face didn’t change and Penelope felt oddly comfortable “Let’s just say that my mother and I don’t speak to each other.” Penelope said sadly.

“Dear, nothing is more important to a mother than her children.” Mrs. Downey said as Penelope locked her eyes with hers. “Whatever it was, I’m sure that it’s fixable.” She said with certainty.

“You really think so?”

“Robert and I have had our fights but it all worked out afterwards. You should talk to your mother, at least give it a try.” Mrs. Downey advised as Penelope’s eyes filled with tears and she smiled softly.

“Thank you Mrs. Downey.” Penelope said as she sniffed her tears and Mrs. Downey smiled at her.

“Goodbye dears! Be safe!” Mrs. Downey said as she saw Robert and Penelope get into his car.

“What did you think of her?” Mr. Downey said towards his wife.
“She’s the right one.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I promised a double update this week and here it is :) This chapter may be a filler but I really enjoyed writing it. I've wanted to put the Downey's in for a while and it will lead to Penelope talking to her mother very, very soon.
Special thanks to EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU who comments. Really thank you! <3
Thank you to my silent readers. Thanks for your recs and subscriptions as well.
I love you all, I hope you have a terrific weekend :)