Status: Finished

Man Like Me

Falling Down

To Robert, time was irrelevant and he hated weekends. It was sad but the best part of his day was when he saw the mysterious girl in the morning and sometimes on the afternoon. He thought of himself as stupid for thinking like that, but her youth and presence made him feel good about everything else. He was sitting on the train, thinking about all these things while waiting for it to depart at 5pm, so he could finally go home. Suddenly he heard rushed steps approaching the carriage he was sitting in. Only about other 10 people were there and they still had to wait another 5 minutes. Suddenly a wave of brown hair passed by him and he couldn’t help but smile, it was the mysterious girl and she was sitting 3 seats away but right across from him. He could see her perfectly.

Penelope was slightly flushed and trying to make little noise, she hated to have people staring at her in public places. She hated to feel observed. Penelope looked ahead of her and saw the mysterious man, he was looking through the window and she smiled. Penelope too recognized him but she was more interested in continuing to read “Romeo & Juliet” by William Shakespeare. She needed to finish it in about two weeks for English Literature but she wasn’t behind schedule, actually she was ahead. The thing is that when she started to read a book or a play she always got ‘addicted’ to it and she read them quickly. That’s why everyone called her a book eater. She was like that ever since she was a child.

35 minutes passed and Robert was delighted. The mysterious girl never took the eyes from the book/play and he was able to observe her without having to worry. She had a pencil and sometimes she scribbled things in the book and underlined sentences. Robert had read that book and seen the play multiple times so he was eager to talk to her about it, but he knew he couldn’t.

Suddenly Penelope took her eyes from the book and looked around. Then she yawned, drank some water and closed the book. She put it away inside her bag and then she glanced at Robert, who was also beginning to get his things together. The train station was slowly becoming visible. Penelope realized it was Friday and she became instantly happier. She could watch a good movie tonight or watch House MD episodes.

The train started stopping softly and Penelope stood up and placed her bag hanging from her right shoulder, while holding her wallet so she could take her social pass. She waited for an elder lady to pass first and then she felt a presence behind her. She peeked a bit and noticed it was a well-built figure, taller than her and when she smelled the air she grinned: it was the mysterious man. She couldn’t blame herself, her memory was outstanding so she had even memorized his perfume without making an effort.

As she was exiting the carriage, a guy came running in her direction and stumbled against her sending her backwards. She didn’t have time to react, her bag fell down scattering her things but a pair of arms caught her before she hit the floor. She gasped at the sudden grasp and looked up to find a friendly smile.

“Are you alright?” The mysterious man’s voice was deeper and sexier than she had imagined.

“Thanks.” She said catching her breath as he gave her a light push, so she was standing on her feet. “That idiot!” Penelope mumbled, making Robert chuckle as she kneeled down to catch her things.

Robert kneeled down and helped her. “Did he hurt you?” He asked with concern.

“No, no. You saved me actually! I’m afraid it’d be an ugly fall if you hadn’t caught me.” Penelope smiled widely.

Robert felt his heart race as he melted at the combination of her voice with that amazing smile. Meanwhile Penelope gathered all her things but her social pass was still missing. Robert spotted it, picked it, glanced briefly at it and then said “Here it is.” Robert handed it to her, smiling. She seemed instantly more relieved and for a brief second their fingers touched.

Both of them blushed slightly but pretended it was nothing.

“Thank you so much. Really, you saved my day.” Penelope smiled as she walked side by side with Robert, heading towards the end of the platform where they would part.

“You’re welcome Miss. Have a nice weekend.” Robert blurted, giving her a clumsy smile as he left awkwardly.

Penelope stood there for a few seconds contemplating him. For a minute, she thought that she left him nervous but then she pushed that thought away as she went home.

When Robert reached his car he stopped to breathe. He had just talked to her, their fingers had touched, his heart was about to make his chest explode. He wanted to have done more but for a first meeting, he had been awkward enough. He remembered her smile and her gentle voice and he smiled goofily and dreamily.

“Penelope.” He thought, ‘What a pretty and rare name’. He smiled. He couldn’t wait for Monday.
♠ ♠ ♠
First of all, THANK YOU for all the comments! They really made me smile, I really appreciate it.
Just to let you know, I've written 6 chapters for this story so far and I'm pretty excited it :)
Comment and subscribe!