Status: Finished

Man Like Me

Doctor's Appointment

Penelope sighed as she sat impatiently outside the gynecologist's office when suddenly Robert placed his hand on top of hers with a reassuring smile.

“Calm down sweetie.” He said as she leaned her head against his shoulder and sighed heavily.

“I’m sorry... I’m just so anxious.” Penelope muttered.

“I know but it’s not good for you or for the baby.” Robert said gently as he brushed her hand with his thumb, trying to disguise his own tingling nerves.

He was doing his best to be positive, he needed to do it for Penelope but mostly for his sanity. One of his biggest dreams in life was to be a father and now that it was just in front of him, about to happen, he couldn’t let anything ruin it, he couldn’t lose this moment or let it slip from his grasp. If he did he was afraid that his relationship with Penelope, would crumble down and he’d fall into his personal hell again. That wasn’t an option, though. Robert wasn’t going to get back there, his demons were gone or so he hoped.

“Penelope Bailey?” A young female doctor asked as she stepped out of the office with a soft smile.

Penelope and Robert rose immediately from their seats as the young doctor welcomed them and closed the door behind them. First they sat on her desk and Penelope had to tell her in detail all about the time where she was diagnosed officially as ‘infertile’ and what happened next during her maturing years and now her grown-adult life.

“Well, your case is definitely rare and we need to make sure of what we’re dealing with.” The doctor started feeling the tension strike Penelope “But please, be calm. These are just standard procedures that I need to take.” She explained as Penelope sighed heavily, forcing a smile while Robert listened attentively.

“Now, please come with me.” The doctor instructed towards the mattress and Penelope followed her, laying down. As the doctor began to prep her medical items, Penelope glanced at Robert as he stood beside her and took her hand in his, kissing her knuckles.

They didn’t speak a word, they only shared a long glance that was interrupted by the doctor cleaning her throat.

“Please pull your shirt up.” She asked nicely as Penelope nodded and used her free hand to pull her shirt up just until her rib cage showed.

The doctor applied the cold gel in her skin and as she pressed the ultrasound machine against Penelope’s stomach, Penelope tightened her grip on Robert’s hand as he glanced towards the monitor but both of them had no idea of what they were seeing.

“Well there it is.” The doctor pointed happily as she used her index-finger to point at a small thing glowing in the image, bigger than a bean but much smaller than a hand. “2 months old, I would say at first sight.”

Robert felt his eyes water up as Penelope gasped slightly and then looked up at him, earning a sweet smile as he brought her hand to his lips again to plant small kisses on it repeatedly.

Then the doctor narrowed her eyes slightly and sat there in silence for a few minutes before taking the machine from Penelope’s stomach and cleaning her up. The doctor asked for Penelope to sit down and she crossed her arms over her chest, looking seriously at them.

“The baby seems fine but I need to run a few more tests on you, Ms. Bailey to determine the state of your body, because if the body isn’t ready many complications may surface and we need to be ready for any situation.” The doctor explained as Penelope nodded her head.

“The tests and the results will be rather quick, so by next week, we’ll have another appointment.”

♦♦♦


During the week Penelope focused in college, Robert focused in writing but they also decided to not tell their families about the pregnancy at this early stage. They wanted to be sure of what was really going on but, between them, they avoided talking about what could happen because they were both just too scared to think about it or mention it to each other. Both thought about it constantly, though.
The baby wasn’t just a baby and the pregnancy wasn’t just a pregnancy. To Penelope it was a miracle and someone who would make her mature and to Robert it was a dream come true and the ultimate moment in which he would be forever bonded to Penelope.

Most of the nights, Penelope would fall asleep with Robert caressing her belly endlessly. He was so ready to love that baby, to hold that baby. He was ready to be a father and he was ready to be a husband again. He always smiled at that desire of his. After Holly, he thought that he’d never marry again but Penelope brought that desire back to his life after telling him that she was pregnant. He didn’t want anything in a Church or anything big, he’d actually let Penelope choose everything and he knew that she’d go for something very simple, which was why he trusted her. But a wedding proposal had to wait for the right moment. Besides there was no guarantee that she’d say yes which was a reason for him to really want to wait.

As Penelope and Robert entered the gynecologist’s office to learn about the results, they were both nervous and tense, the doctor didn’t seem to be too happy herself but she made an effort to greet them nicely. She began by asking them how they felt and was glad to know that Penelope’s early morning sickness was a bit better but her cravings were getting more demanding.

“I need to get straight to the point.” The doctor started with a deep sigh “Unfortunately, your tests show that your uterus hasn’t developed healthily,” The doctor said as Penelope’s filled right away with tears “And indeed it is possible for you conceive but it’s highly unlikely that the baby will survive… I’m sorry.”

Penelope stiffened as silent tears rolled down her cheeks and Robert held in his own while placing an arm around her shoulder to comfort her, both of them dead silent.

“Then I have to… a-abort this baby?” Penelope stuttered as the doctor immediately shook her head.

“No and I have something to propose to you.” The doctor said brightening up a bit as Robert narrowed his eyes slightly.

“Which is?” Robert asked, speaking for the first time. He grew immediately suspicious about this ‘something’ because losing the baby was devastating enough and he was afraid of what the doctor was going to say.

“For Penelope to get pregnant was a miracle, the first case I’ve ever seen this happen. I believe that the baby may be able to survive because it has been growing so it can develop for at least the first months and hopefully the uterus will adapt.” The doctor said filled with hope as Penelope and Robert exchanged a glance.

“Can’t I even go to classes?” Penelope asked as the doctor sighed.

“For now you can but nothing aside from classes. I want you to rest as much as possible from now on because your own life depends on it too. As your situation develops we will see what is best for you and the baby.”

“Hopefully the uterus will adapt? As the situation develops we will figure things out?” Robert snapped making both females stare at him “So even with this ‘innovative’ idea, the baby may not live?”

“Mr. Downey, Penelope’s condition is very delicate,” The doctor started “But I do believe that it is possible for the pregnancy to continue but it will require rest, taking vitamins and supplements, being under no stress at all or any type of pressure. The baby will require much of your energy, it will drain you and your body will be exhausted, it will probably hurt as well. ” The doctor warned.

“It can be dangerous for Penelope’s health?” Robert asked his eyes widened with fear at the possibilities that went through his mind.

“Maybe.” The doctor replied shortly. “This is a risk we’re taking and it’s up to you both to decide if you want to accept what I’ve said.” The doctor said.

“Doctor, could you leave us alone for a moment, please?” Penelope asked as the doctor the doctor stood up with a smile and left them alone for a bit.

“We have a chance Robert! We’re not losing this baby, we’re not.” Penelope repeated as Robert ran his hands up and down her backside, sighing deeply.

In his opinion, the doctor was being too positive and probably giving Penelope a hope she shouldn’t have. Robert never thought that Penelope would be so excited to be a mother but apparently the spirit got to her, which was amazing but he still had a bad feeling rambling on the pit of his stomach.

“You don’t seem too excited.” Penelope said as she pushed away from him.

“It’s not that…” Robert started as he locked his eyes with hers “It’s just scary to think that the baby might hurt you.”

“Robert, I’ll be fine.”

“I’ve been alone for too long Penelope…” Robert started as Penelope nodded her head as he pulled her into a tight embrace that scared her a bit for how strong it was “I don’t want to be alone again... Promise me, Penelope, please, that nothing will happen to you. Please promise me that you won’t leave.”

“I promise.” Penelope whispered “I promise Robert, I love you. I’m not going anymore.” She said in his ear as he pulled her in even closer to him.

After a few moments of silence, she grasped his hands in her and kissed them softly.

“I can’t do this alone Robert, I need to know that you’re by my side, that we are a team.” Penelope said as Robert looked deep into her eyes.

“You can count on me Penelope. I’m going to take care of you, I’m going to take care of our child. We’re going to survive this together, the three of us.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
Sorry for taking so long to write this chapter but yes, the emotions are pouring out of me and that's why I took a bit longer to write. Nevertheless please do voice your opinions. Does anyone think that Robert will go back to his 'destructive' ways? His personal hell?
Big, big thank you to all my dear friends who comment and you, silent readers, I love you too! Thank you for subscribing and for the recs!
<3