Status: Finished

Man Like Me

Reactions: Penelope's Family

“Robert, are you sure about that?” Penelope asked nervously as she stared at the ceiling while she sat in between Robert’s legs as he ran his hands through her hair softly.

“Of course I am Penelope. You’re 4 months pregnant and everything seems to be going fine.” Robert said as he planted his hand softly on the small bump in her stomach “We should tell our families, it’s about time.”

Penelope sighed visibly and wanted to stand up but she felt too tired and her kidneys were beginning to hurt a bit along with her back.

“What if my parents freak out? What if your parents don’t agree?” Penelope asked getting nervous and concerned.

After discovering that she was pregnant but that it was a very risky pregnancy, she had completely slowed down. Robert drove her everywhere, no exceptions, and in extreme cases he’d ask Jude to do it. She had gone to classes until the middle of her third month but after almost fainting once, she was a bit frightened and stopped going to college for classes, she only went for exams now.

In terms of her body, her hips had gotten a bit wider while her breasts were a bit sensitive and tender. The biggest different was her stomach that wasn’t flat anymore. A bump was visible, even with her clothes on. All the consequences were emerging, though, especially the ones related to physical pain. Everything hurt most of the time and the baby hadn’t even started to move yet, it was clear that her body was adjusting but not as easily as she had hoped.

“Penelope,” Robert called patiently as he wrapped his arms around her to give her confidence “Why would your parents freak out or mine not be totally thrilled? We’re both mature adults, we live in the same house and we’ve been together for almost 8 amazing months now. It’s a new life we are bringing into the world, there’s no reason not to support or love that.”

Robert hadn’t felt this calm in a long time and sometimes he wondered if he was just being calm before the storm. Seeing Penelope in pain was horrible and he knew that she faked most of the time not to worry him but he always worried, he was constantly worried that something might go wrong and he would worry until the baby was born. As the doctor had explained to him a few weeks ago, her mood swings had started. They were not violent but she had a predilection to fall into a depressive state quickly and to start doubting herself. Robert was doing his best to be the stronger-half of their relationship but he was unable to push his fears away as Jude had suggested. Robert couldn’t still trust the doctor’s positivism, he was still afraid to get too attached to a child that might not be born and not talking or mentioning other options was really upsetting him a bit.

“I guess you’re right, I’m just a bit insecure that’s all.” Penelope shrugged smiling weakly at him as he pressed his lips to her temple.

“Chopin would help?” He murmured into her ear.

“Chopin, tea and you would be perfect.” She smiled softly as he nods his head and pecks her lips before jumping out of their bed to tea for them.

♦♦♦


Penelope felt extremely pumped up all of a sudden that night as she stared warmly at the bump in her stomach. Her dad and brother had arrived at their house for dinner a few minutes ago, they hadn’t seen her yet and they were the first family members to know about the news.

Penelope dressed a new set of clothes she had bought due to her size changing, thinking they would make her look discrete but there was no denying it anymore, she was pregnant and it was visible, it was real. She placed her hands slowly on her belly and smiled, all her nerves slowly dissipating.

“Sweetie,” She started “How are you feeling tonight? You can’t imagine how daddy and I already love you… How excited we are to meet you, to see you.” She smiled softly.

“Tonight is an important night and mommy is a bit nervous. You’re going to hear your grandfather and your uncle’s voices for the first time and that’s so important because they’re going to be your family too. You know what makes me really happy? The fact that Zack will be your cool uncle and that Grandpa will teach you music and it’ll be wonderful.” She chuckled as she pressed her hand gently to her belly, rubbing it slowly.

Suddenly, she felt observed and as she glanced through the bathroom mirror, she saw Robert standing by the doorway with a smile. He approached her and wrapped his arms around her slowly, his hands resting over hers while his head popped into her shoulder.

“What are you doing here?” Penelope asked leaning her head against his.

“Did you really think that I’d let you go downstairs alone?” Robert replied as he sighed while taking in her figure, absolutely loving every detail about it but at the same her face worrying him because she looked permanently tired.

“I knew you wouldn’t and talking to him calms me down.” She explained as their eyes locked through the mirror.

“Him? Are you cheering for us to have a boy?” Robert smiled as he kissed the side of her face and she melted against him.

“Surprisingly, yes. I’d love for us to have a boy.” Penelope said as Robert nodded his head, squeezing her gently.

“A girl wouldn’t be that bad either, right?” He asked as Penelope smiled.

“Of course not. I can already imagine you calling her your Princess.” She chuckled as he smiled widely, knowing it was true.

“Are you ready to go downstairs?” He asked after they shared a brief silence.

Penelope sighed and nodded her head. They entangled from their embrace and she snaked her hand into his, lacing their fingers. They walked slowly and his grasp was strong, she was his priority. If she felt dizzy, sick or tired he would have to be ready so he was paying close attention to every move. Penelope immediately felt her father and brother’s gaze on her as they descended the stairs calmly. As they stepped into the living room, both Zack and her father’s eyes turned to them.

“Penelope! Fin-“ Zack cut himself off, his gasp filling her room as he almost jumped up to a standing position.

On the other hand, their father, Jeremy remained seated as he took in the figure of his pregnant daughter.

“Hi. Sorry for making you wait.” She greeted as Zack’s dropped jaw, formed into a wide smile as he glanced between her eyes and her belly and back.

“Dear Lord… You… You’re pregnant!” He said as he started breathing faster, excitement growing in him as he covered his face slightly with his hands and then ran them along his hair.

Penelope couldn’t help but to chuckle at her older brother as he cheered loudly.

“Can I hold you?” He asked, getting a bit teary-eyed as she nodded her head and he immediately wrapped his arms around her pulling her to him.

“Robert.” He father called as Robert took his attention from his girlfriend and turned it to her father “How long is she?”

“4 months, sir.” Robert replied as the man stood up, visibly surprised but with a light in his eyes.

“Why haven’t you told us before?” He asked calmly as he observed his children share a long embrace and then laugh, probably at something Zack had said.

“It’s been complicated. It’s a very risky pregnancy but it’s developing so well that we’ve decided to finally tell our loved ones.” Robert explained as the man nodded his head and extended his hand towards him.

“Shake my hand, son.” He said as Robert took his hand and the man shook it strongly, proudly “I hope you know that this brings a whole new set of things into your life but you’ve both made me a very happy man.” He smiled widely as Robert smiled back at him.
When Zack finally released his sister, their father stepped in and both he and Penelope went outside to talk for a bit.

“Were you and Robert planning to have children this soon?” The man asked cautiously as he let his daughter sit on the swing while he stood.

Her complexion scared him a bit now that he was closer to her. Her color had faded a bit and she seemed tired but rather happy.

“Honestly, dad, we didn’t plan the pregnancy but it’s going so well that Robert and I are so much closer now.” Penelope explained with a smile as she looked into her father’s eyes and began to be a bit fearful “Dad… A-are you mad, disappointed?” She asked.

“Heavens no!” The man replied immediately, catching her by surprise at the emphasis “I’m just surprised and excited. I come to visit and you’re pregnant! And you look beautiful, enlightened and I never saw such love come out through Robert’s eyes…” The man kept rambling as tears slipped his eyes while Penelope widened hers slightly, her father getting emotional wasn’t something she was expecting aside from the fact that he didn’t even mention how horrible she should look for being so weak.

“And a baby… I haven’t held a baby in years. I’m going to be a grandfather Penny! A grandfather!” He said excitedly as he laughed and then turned to her “All because of you Penny, thank you. Thank you.” He muttered as he kissed her forehead and hugged her carefully while placing his hand over her belly softly.

“I’m glad you’re excited.” Penelope chuckled. “You think that Mom will be happy?”

“Deep down she will but maybe she won’t show it.” Her father pointed out as Penelope nodded her head. “When are you seeing her?”

“She’s coming over tomorrow for tea.” Penelope said as her father reassured her that no matter what, her mom would end up embracing this new fact of her life. With that said, they returned to find Zack and Robert discussing about baby names while helping each other on the kitchen.

♦♦♦


Penelope bit her bottom lip as she waited for the doorbell to ring at any moment now. Her mother was late which was unusual but the woman didn’t seem to be too excited to meet her daughter, actually she sounded bored about the fact to visit Penelope’s new house. Robert was going to be there which was a relief for Penelope but also something that made her nervous. After making peace with her mother, Penelope had tried to make her at least get along with Robert but was stubborn and hiding something. She wasn’t impolite but it was obvious that she didn’t accept him as her daughter’s boyfriend and every time Penelope asked her to explain herself, she never did.

Suddenly the door bell rang, Robert peeked from the kitchen, where he was making the tea and Penelope raised her hand at him, motioning that she was getting the door.

“Coming!” She yelled as the door bell rang twice while she walked cautiously towards it.

“Gosh, what kind of a boyfriend do you have? He doesn’t even op-…“ Penelope’s mother cut herself off once the door was completely opened and revealed the pregnant figure of her daughter.

“Hi Mom.” Penelope greeted as she placed a hand on her back, where it had started to hurt, soon she’d have to sit down. “Please step inside.”

The woman was speechless. She step in still in shock and felt like exploding on her daughter but seeing how her complexion had changed, she tried to contain her spilling anger.

“What the world happened? You look horrible!”

Robert heard the comment and his hands closed into fists as he licked his bottom lip, trying not to growl. He was in the kitchen, respecting Penelope’s wish to talk to her mother alone in the beginning, but if the woman persisted in such horrid comments, he’d step in. She had no idea of what Penelope was going through, her looks weren’t even the worse in her body but of course that her mom would immediately point that out specific little thing.

“Mom…” Penelope started.

“Penelope, how can this have happened? You are infertile.” The woman said interrupting her daughter as Penelope sighed, feeling too weak to yell or just raise her voice while the woman kept rambling.

“Mom, can you listen to me?” She said, looking intently at her mother as the woman forced herself to be quiet. “I know exactly how I was diagnosed but for some reason, I am pregnant and this child is growing inside of me. It’s a miracle child and that’s why I look like this.” Penelope pointed at her face, knowing that she was skinnier and probably paler with bangs under her eyes. “Yes, I look tired and I am tired but I am pregnant and I am happy about it.”

Her mother stared in disapproval at her and Penelope felt horrible, why couldn’t her mother support her? Not even now?

“Don’t get me wrong, being pregnant is wonderful and I’m not a moralist in this case but I always wished for you to have something better, Penelope.” Her mother said as they still stood in the entrance, it was clear that the mom had no intention in getting into the house.

“What do you mean? I live with the man I love and I’m having his child. What could you possibly want more for me?”

“In all honesty?” Her mother said inhaling sharply while Penelope nodded her head “I always wanted you to be with Kyle. Not with Robert. Robert is too old for you and you’re too young to be a mother.
This will not work.”

Penelope felt a melancholic feeling hit her. She knew that her mother’s words were venomous but why did she had to bring Kyle up? Why did she have to be such a bad person all the time?

“Mom, not that again.” Penelope managed to say as she felt a throwing up sensation fill her entire body but her mom interrupted her again.

“Yes, this again Penelope! You never gave the boy a chance!” Her mother defended “He loved you so much Penelope. In fact I bet that he still does, it’s not too late. You can leave Robert, give that child to a family that is ready and be with Kyle.”

As soon as the words left her mouth, Robert burst into the room and placed himself in front of Penelope.

“I want you out.” He said gravely, her mother swallowing the lump in her throat while Penelope’s eyes clouded with tears, how could her mother suggest such a thing?

“Robert, I was talking to my daughter and I was just being honest. You know it’s the right-“

“Stop what you’re saying. I can’t hear your voice anymore.” Robert snapped as he heard Penelope sob and became even angrier. “You think that’s the proper way to talk to her daughter?” He hissed. “She invited you into our home, ready to welcome you into our lives again and you keep ruining it. What kind of a mother are you? You just suggested for her to leave me. How dare you?!” He yelled “Oh but you’ve done worst,” He added sarcastically “You suggested for her to give our baby away. How dare you judge us without knowing us? Your daughter will be a great mother, much better than you ever were our can be, and it’s a shame to see that you don’t know your own daughter.”

Penelope’s mother glared furiously at Robert.

“This is why I always preferred Kyle over you! He’s polite and educated, he doesn’t yell at me.”

“Kyle is a lamb, who does everything you want. You like him because you like to control people like they’re puppets.” Robert countered as he eyed her intensely, knowing that he had been harsh but she had stepped over the line.

“What? How dare speak to me like that?” She yelled at Robert, when suddenly Penelope rose her head.

“Mom.” Penelope pressed seriously “Don’t you dare yell at my boyfriend.”

Robert’s eyes started pounding, Penelope’s tone was serious. As he glanced at here, there were no tears, just disappointment and anger.

“I don’t love Kyle and I never will. You’ve never accepted Robert and you have no reason not to.” She said squeezing his hand “You’ve just said the most horrible things I’ve heard in my entire life. This man, this baby they are my family. You know I’ve tried to get along with you but it’s seems impossible, it seems like you don’t want to.”

Penelope’s mother gasped “I rather not be part of a family where I’m disrespected, specially a family with people I despise in it. “

“Stop the drama.” Penelope said seriously, making her mom widen her eyes slightly, she had never heard her daughter use that tone. “Yes, dad is part of this family but I never made you be with him. I just wanted you to be part of my life mom, of mine, of Robert’s and of my child’s.”

“As long as you keep these choices… I can’t, Penelope.”

“You can’t be serious.” Penelope said as her mother’s expression didn’t move and she nodded her head “Very well then… I think this is goodbye mom.”

“It is.” The woman said as Penelope bit the inside of her cheek, barely believe what she was hearing. “I hope you come to your senses.” The woman said, leaving the house. The door slammed behind her back.

Near the stairs stood Robert and Penelope, both in shook on that they had heard. A few seconds later, Penelope bent over and puked all the contents in her stomach while crying desperately. Robert felt like a knife was stabbing his heart, he felt horrible for saying the truth so bluntly but there was no time for guilt now, Penelope needed him more than ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
I'm so sorry for taking almost a week to update. College is started to getting really serious and my time is being cut down really short in what writing is concerned.
I know this chapter is drama filled but yes, I needed to get this out. In the next chapter, we'll have Robert's parents and more.
I'd like to thank my wonderful silent readers and my readers who comment.
I'm very excited that this story reached 20 recs and 54 subscribers! It means to much to me, thank you!
<3