Status: Finished

Man Like Me

Reactions: The Downeys

Penelope sobbed as she caressed her belly gently, apologizing to her child for being so sad but promising that she’d be fine and that’d be fine too, that he was loved and that no matter what she’d always protect him no matter who she had to stand up against. Robert had finally fallen asleep and she was cradled up against his chest, not making a noise because she knew that he needed to rest. He felt so guilty for what happened but he hadn’t spoken a word about it, he didn’t need to, she knew him so well by now and all she could do was tell him that she loved him more than anything.

Her whole body was hurting and her nerves weren’t helping but she tried to calm down by taking deep breathes. She barely slept that night and in the next morning she felt tired so she stayed in bed until much later than usual. On the other hand, Robert tried to write but nothing came to his mind. He was still devastated at the turn of events with Penelope’s mother, the woman did not accept him and he had no idea why and she had just ruined her chance to be part of her daughter’s life. He felt guilty, maybe he shouldn’t have burst but how could he remain quiet? He sighed heavily as he stepped back into the bedroom to find Penelope still laying tangled up in the sheets. He frowned as he crawled next to her on the bed and pressed his hair, watching her open her eyes.

“How are you feeling?” He asked smiling as she forced herself to give him a small smile.

“A bit hungry, actually. Could you bring me cookies?” She chuckled quietly as he nodded his head and planted a soft kiss on her forehead before heading downstairs.

He came back quickly with two glasses of milk and a plate filled with cookies. He helped her sit properly on the bed, staring for a bit how wonderful her belly looked but at how fragile the rest of her body appeared. He pushed his thoughts back as she saw him look at her and looked down, knowing that he might be uncomfortable and how strangely her body was developing because instead of gaining weight, she had actually lost a few pounds. He never pushed her away or pushed himself away, though, he never said anything about her aspect unlike her mother and she was so thankful for it. He never stopped telling her she was beautiful, he never stopped caressed her and they just stopped having sex because the doctor advised them to be the best for the baby. Both of them frowned but they followed the advice.“Cookies for breakfast!” Penelope chuckled as Robert sat beside her with a grin, handing her a chocolate-chip cookie while he ate a butter one.

“I have a feeling that our baby will have a sweet tooth. You have cravings for mostly sweet things.” Robert said as Penelope nodded her head, laughing softly.

“Are we still going to your parent’s house tonight?” Penelope asked as she took another bite of her cookie, almost devouring it. Her hunger also came in waves, right now she was almost starving.

“Only if you feel like better enough to go.” Robert replied as Penelope smiled warmly.

“Of course, I am already feeling better.” She replied motioning for the cookie with a soft smile “We haven’t seen your parents in a while, so yes we should go.”

♦♦♦


That night, Penelope tried to look bright even though her body begged her for bed and rest. She was making an effort because Robert’s parents had always been amazing from the start so giving them the news was something to look forward to and seeing Robert this excited was worth it. Telling his parents that he was going to be father thrilled him to no end given what happened with Holly and what is happening with Penelope now. As Robert rung the bell, Penelope took a deep breath and squeezed his hand, earning a bright smile from him.

“Relax honey, we’ll be fine.” He said confidentllywith a wink as Penelope’s heart fluttered, that man would never stop having a huge effect on her. The more time passed, the more she loved him and the more beautiful he looked in her eyes.

“OH MY GOOD LORD!” Mrs. Downey’s cheerful voice took Penelope out of her thoughts as the woman gasped when upon fixing her eyes on Penelope’s stomach.

Both Penelope and Robert smiled as Mrs. Downey starting fanning herself while calling out to her husband. The man came running to the front door and was shocked at the sight before him but he quickly pulled himself together and pulled his son for a hug. Mr. Downey’s eyes filled with tears as he hugged his only son, patting his back while whispering to Robert that he had been right all along about being a grandfather. As Penelope watched the embrace she glanced at Mrs. Downey who smiled while wiping her tears.

“Forgive us deary.” She said with a small chuckle “We have just… just been waiting for this for so long.” She confessed making Penelope smile and embrace her. The woman gasped slightly as Penelope’s tummy came in contact with her body but then she embraced her back.

Dinner went by cheerfully with Robert’s parents being excited and barely able to contain their happiness.

“Have you thought about names?” Mrs. Downey asked as his husband chuckled at her.

Robert took Penelope’s hand and smiled “We’ve discussed some, yes, but we’ll only decide once we see the baby.”

“But do you know if it’s a boy or a girl?” Mr. Downey asked.

“Actually, we don’t want to know until the baby is born.” Penelope said as she squeezed Robert’s hand “Either way we’ll love our baby unconditionally and it’ll be a fun to throw bets.” She chuckled.

“I’m betting on a girl.” Robert added proudly.

“I’m betting on a boy.” Penelope said.

Mr. and Mrs. Downey shared a look and laughed, apparently they had had the same thought.

“Twins!” They said cheerfully as Penelope and Robert laughed while sharing a look at the possibility as Mr. and Mrs. Downey discussed perfect twin names for every possible case, giggling.

“Penelope.” Mrs. Downey called, making Penelope and Robert stare ahead.

“Yes?” Penelope said with a small smile.

“Would you like to go shopping with me tomorrow?” The woman invited with a warm smile.

“I don’t mean to trouble you, Mrs. Downey.” Penelope said quickly as the woman felt flattered and shook her head.

“Nonsense, dear! I’ve wanted to get an excuse for us to go out just by ourselves and I finally have a good excuse.” The woman said and Penelope chuckled.

“I’d love to, then.” Penelope said.

The woman squealed happily.

“Wonderful! My husband and I will pick you up tomorrow morning, he’ll go do his businesses and we’ll spend the day together.” The woman said happily as she glanced at her son and widened her eyes “Don’t pout like that at me, Robert! It doesn’t work anymore.” She stated as everyone burst laughing.

♦♦♦


Robert waved as he saw his girlfriend leave with his parents and he smiled, Penelope looked happy and his parents were thrilled which was amazing. Even though, they didn’t have her mother’s support, his mother’s excitement was enough to blow any place up.

He glanced at his watch, realizing that Zack and Jude should be around soon. Having Penelope out was the perfect opportunity to start what he had been planning for a long time: redecorate the guest-room into a nursery/bedroom for their child as a surprise for Penelope. Jude had a key so Robert went upstairs and started taking some of the furniture out. Of course, that the room would be finished today but Robert had been able to convince Claudia to be his ‘partner in crime’ for this one. The plan was for Claudia to call Penelope and convince her to go to yoga classes, which wasn’t actually such a bad idea because it would help her relax and it would give Robert enough time to finish the room.

Soon enough both Zack and Jude arrived and they all proceeded to talk all the furniture out until the room was completely empty. They covered the wooden floor with newspaper while Zack started to paint the drawing he had planned of a tree with birds, Robert was beginning to paint the walls and Jude headed upstairs to start bringing some of the new furniture up. The minute Jude left, Zack cleared his throat and decided to finally talk to Robert about what was on his mind.

“Robert, listen man,” Zack started as he sighed “There’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you.”

Robert raised an eyebrow. Zack sounded a bit nervous and serious which was very unlike him, he was usually very loose-back and relaxed.

“Go ahead man.” Robert encouraged him.

“You and Penelope have been together for quite a while now and her pregnancy just brought you guys closer together, right?” Zack asked.

“Yes, right.” Robert said, now getting a bit more alarmed at what was going to slip his mouth.

“So… I have been wondering… Will you ever ask her to marry you?”
Robert dropped his roller as he turned to Zack a bit pale.

“Zack, what makes you ask that? I thought you didn’t even take marriage seriously.” Robert said as he picked his rolled up but didn’t continue his task, instead he stared at Zack who licked his lips but continued working on the tree.

“I don’t take marriage seriously when it comes to me but this is Penelope we’re talking about and it’s my nephew or niece’s familiar stability. I want this baby to grow up in a house much better than mine. Can you blame me for that?” Zack asked his tone softening.

“I understand you’re worried but do you really believe that Penelope and I need to get marriage for our baby to be happy?” Robert questioned.

“Not necessarily but I’d love to see my sister on a wedding dress.” Zack grinned “I remember when
she was a little girl and she talked non-stop about how much she wanted to marry someday.”

“Does she still keep that wish?” Robert asked, his heart fluttering. The idea of proposing to Penelope had been on his mind for the last month but he didn’t know if he should do it, if he was ready to marry again. He loved her and signing a paper wouldn’t add or take anything but the symbolism of the ceremony was very appealing to him.

“I’m not sure but Robert, she loves you.” Zack stated turning to look into Robert’s eyes “She really does.” Robert smiled widely at him and Zack narrowed his eyes playfully “Wait… You’ve been thinking about proposing haven’t you chap?” He chuckled.

“I have.” Robert admitted.
“What are you waiting for then?” Zack asked happily as he went towards Robert and embraced him tightly.

At that moment, Jude appeared in the doorway holding a box and furrowed his eyebrows.

“Come and join our manly hug, Jude!” Zack said happily.

“What are we celebrating?” Jude laughed as he put the box down.

“Robert’s decision!” Zack said as Robert laughed.

“Which is?” Jude questioned.

“I’m going to ask Penelope to marry me.” Robert said as a set of emotions went through Jude’s eyes, then he smiled and he patted his friend’s back.

After about 5 hours, Zack and Jude left and Robert proceeded to lock everything that could give his idea in and he quickly jumped into the shower because he looked like a mess with paint all over his clothing. When Penelope arrived, dinner was waiting for her and Robert couldn’t help but laugh at the sight of his parents carrying in about 10 bags of shopping. Not only did they buy Penelope clothing but they had already bought some toys and clothing for the baby. Penelope was tired but she looked radiant and that was when Robert knew that proposing to her was the right move.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
So this is how I imagine the the room to look like. It's not exactly like this but I think that it throw the point across.
I'd like to thank my wonderful and beautiful readers, whether they are silent or they comment, I love you all. Thank you for the recs (23, incredible!) and for subscribing :)
Due to college, this story will probably be updated between Friday's and Monday's, it really depends on my amount of weekly work.
Have a good weekend loves!