Status: Finished

Man Like Me

After The Kiss

Penelope opened her eyes and found herself instantly smiling. She got out of her bed and went into the kitchen. She didn’t even bother checking if her mom was home because she was starving. She prepared about four toasts and a cup of milk mixed with coffee and she sat in front of her computer.

She had slept wonderfully which hadn’t happened for years and she was happy and excited. She felt an urge to write, an urge to smile and an urge to sing. Then she closed her eyes and remembered what had happened.

I kept my eyes closed and opened them when I stopped feeling the wonderful sensation of Robert’s lips touching mine. He was giving me the tenderest smile I had ever seen and I loved it.

I smiled softly when suddenly Jarvis stormed into the room and jumped on Robert making us both laugh when suddenly the front door of my house closed “Honey?” My mom called.

“Shit!” I cursed under my breath as Robert looked around realizing that we were probably going to be in trouble. “Quick, hide in there.” I said opening my closet and then closing it once Robert was inside.

I exited my room casually like if nothing was happening “Hey mom.” I greeted as I entered the kitchen and started preparing a bowl of cereal.

“Are you alone?” My mom asked suspiciously as she was putting away the shopping she had just brought in.

“Yeah, why?” I asked smiling nervously.

“I thought I heard a manly laugh.” My mom replied laughing at how ridiculous she sounded.

I laughed awkwardly along as I quickly took the bowl and skipped into my bedroom. I locked the door cautiously and opened the closet, where Robert was sitting with Jarvis in his legs. The sight was completely adorable but unfortunately I had to get them out of there.

“Come on.” I said picking Jarvis up and then opening my window that was connected to the small garden and from where Robert could easy find the way out of the perimeter of my house “I’m so sorry.” I said as Robert carefully got out through the window.

“It’s alright, we’re the ones who are sorry.” He replied, scratching his neck. His voice, so deep but sexy, was still able to make my heart beat faster. The man was definitely the definition of beautiful, in every way.

As I leaned over the window to pass Jarvis to Robert, I couldn’t help myself and once I found Robert close enough I took the opportunity to kiss him again. I lingered on for a few moments before pulling away from him. Robert looked surprised but a huge smile was adorning his features, I smiled back and he kept smiling at me until he had to run off before my mom saw him.


♦♦♦


Robert hadn’t slept anything last night. He had spent the whole evening staring into the night sky with a mug full of iced tea in his hand. He could still feel Penelope’s soft lips upon his own and he ran his index finger over his lips to realize that he was still smiling.

Today, his good friend Jude was going to visit him to retrieve Jarvis. Jude, aside from being Robert’s best and only friend, was also his publicist and he had gone to London about a month ago. Robert hadn’t told Jude about Penelope but this was certainly the best time to do it. In the meantime, Robert delighted himself with remembering how it had all happened.

I pulled away from the kiss and opened my eyes, breathing out in pure bliss as I saw Penelope with her eyes closed, in her perfect innocence. I smiled tenderly as she opened her eyes and seemed be to as happy as I was.

Suddenly Jarvis stormed into the bedroom and jumped on me, creating a huge mess as both me and Penelope started laughing, her laughter was something worthy of contemplation, it was sweet and genuine. Suddenly the front door closed and Penelope tensed up “Honey?” A female voice called.

My eyes widened as I realized that both me and Penelope were screwed if her mom found me there. “Quick hide him there” Penelope whispered as she opened her closet’s door.

I sat there, petting Jarvis calmly hoping for him not to bark and just behave for a while. “I kissed her…”I said staring at the closed door “I did it Jarvis and it was… beautiful.” I smiled widely as Jarvis was looking up at me with his usual content expression that seemed to say ‘Please, tell me more’. “Do you think I should do it again?” I smirked and then laughed lowly at my own ideas, when suddenly I felt another presence in the room. I stopped breathing as the door opened and I was immediately relieved when I saw Penelope.

“Come on.” She said, picking Jarvis from my lap. “I’m so sorry.” She said pouting as she opened her room’s window.

I got up quickly but I was out of words. The situation was awkward and embarrassing for both so before it even stranger, I decided to get out through the window.

“It’s alright, we’re the ones who are sorry.” I said in the tone of an apology. I never meant for things to happen that way, I wished that I hadn’t kissed her in her house. I wanted to have planned it more carefully, to have been more romantic.

Then I leaned forward to receive Jarvis and, as I got closer to Penelope, she leaned in willingly and kissed me again. The kiss was sweet but it left me begging and wanting more, but I couldn’t. At least not right away. Once we pulled apart, I felt like the happiest man on Earth. I felt like jumping around, singing and I couldn’t take that silly smile off my face. I saw Penelope smile at me genuinely and I knew that I had to leave but I didn’t want to stop looking at her. I sighed and smiled widely as I ran out before her mom saw me.


“Morning!” Robert was startled and almost sent his mug flying.

“Jude! Nobody ever taught you, that you should knock first?” Robert grinned as he stood up to greet his best-friend.

“Downey, with you I have no manners. Besides, I assumed that you were sleeping. You were so quiet… too quiet.” Jude said eyeing Robert with suspicion. “Tell me what’s new and why you have that wound on your face.” Jude said as they went down to the living room and sat in separate couches.

“Well, a lot has happened.” Robert smirked, the smile still lingered on his lips.

“Uau! I was out for what… A month? And you already have that silly smile on your lips and the look of a proud male!” Jude laughed amusedly as he waited curiously for Robert to tell him.

“How can I begin this?” Robert laughed as he allowed his body to lie completely in the comfy couch. “Her name is Penelope.” He started and Jude almost jumped to his feet clapping.

Since Holly, Robert had never been interested in anyone else and Jude had always tried to hook him up with other females. It had never worked before, even though, Jude’s intentions were good.

“Please, proceed.” Jude said with a huge smile across his face as he easily got the hint that Robert was visibly happy. The last years of their friendship hadn’t been easy because Robert had been through a difficult period and Jude was the only person to stick around and try to help him. But no one could help Robert more than himself, which was what happened eventually.

“I noticed her back in October of last year, because we always go in the same train. Then we finally started talking in the beginning of November of this year and I’ve been getting to know her…”

“And you’re interested. I can see the light in your eyes!” Jude said excitedly as he saw Robert move awkwardly and almost shyly. “Has anything happened yet?” Jude said with a slightly perverted look.

“We kissed for the first time, yesterday.” Robert grinned widely.

“And did she punch you?” Jude laughed as Robert glared him.

“Of course not, she’s the sweetest, most innocent…” Robert drifted off.

“Oh, call the Gods! Our boy is in love!” Jude said in a celebrating tone as Robert chuckled.
“Well, about the wound. I was in a small fight yesterday.”

“Was the other guy nuts? You practice martial arts, you could’ve broken him in half.” Jude said raising his eyebrow.

“Well, he was a jerk and I didn’t do worse to him because he wasn’t worth it and because she was there. I just punched him enough to hurt him and probably break his nose.” Robert said darkly.

“And why did it happen?”

“He insulted Penelope.”

“So you ran to defend her honor!” Jude said dramatically as Robert laughed.

“Yeah, you can say so.”

“Ah my good friend, you haven’t changed.” Jude smiled widely as he stood up “Let’s do something, the weather is wonderful. Beach?”

♦♦♦


“Hello?” Penelope said as she answered her phone “Oh hey, Claudia!” She smiled instantly. Claudia was a childhood friend and they used to hang out quite a lot on the weekends. “Your pool is free? I’M GOING!” Penelope said excitedly and then she remembered that she had left her bicycle on the beach.

She bit her bottom lip and quickly put on her bikini, a light dress, sandals and then went out towards the beach on foot. Once she arrived she felt immediately relieved because her bicycle was there.

“Robert? Robert?” Jude asked as Robert had stopped walking. Jude looked to where he was looking and saw a young woman in a dress standing near a bicycle. Her hair passed her shoulders and she seemed to be of average height.

“That’s her.” Robert said smiling. “That’s Penelope.”

Jude grinned “PENELOPE!” He yelled, catching the girl’s attention as she looked down trying to figure out who had called her.

“You’re an idiot!” Robert protested as he gave Jude an angry look.

Jude laughed even louder “I’ll save you a seat on the restaurant. Thank me later!” He said as he walked off.

Penelope immediately recognized Robert at the end of the street and she gladly took her bicycle and walked towards him. He seemed to be alone but he looked nervous and almost angry.

“Hey.” Penelope greeted, feeling her cheeks burning up as she noticed Robert’s built arms, for a moment she fantasized about what it would be like if he ever held her in those arms.

“Hello.” Robert said crossing his arms over his chest. “How are you?” He said immediately loosening his arms and wondering what to do with them. He was beginning to grow nervous like always.

“I’m good. I’m going to a friend’s pool. Are you alone?” Penelope asked looking everywhere but there was no sign of Jarvis.

“No, I’m with a friend. He’s in the restaurant, I just stopped to say hi to you.”

Penelope felt flattered but then both of them blocked. They didn’t how if they should speak about the kiss, they didn’t know if they should kiss again, they wanted but at the same time they wanted it to be more private.

“Sorry, but I’m running late.” Penelope pouted slightly, the fact that she always seemed to be in a hurry upset her. “I’ll see you tomorrow, have fun with your friend!” She smiled nicely as she reached forward and kissed Robert’s cheek deeply, leaving afterwards.

Robert stood there for a couple of seconds and then breathed out and joined Jude in their table.

“Well hello Downey. I see you took your time.” Jude smirked as Robert glared at him and started reading the menu. “She’s beautiful, I give you that.” Jude said as the sun was hitting his face and he was enjoying it with a smile.

“She’s more than just beautiful.” Robert said with certainty “That’s the thing about her, she desperately wants someone to see beyond her pretty face.”

“Are you that man Robert?” Jude asked, taking his sunglasses so he could confront his best friend.

“Yes, I am.” Robert said feeling a boost of confidence fill his chest as a bazillion ideas popped in his mind of how to show Penelope that he could be trusted and that what he was feeling for her, was real.

In the meantime, Penelope was floating in her friend’s pool trying to decide whether to tell her about Robert. Penelope was terrified that her friends would think that she had definitely lost it but she couldn’t deny her feelings anymore. The kiss and the way she felt when she had seen Robert earlier were clear evidence that she was indeed in love with him.

“What’s on your mind Peach?” Claudia asked.

Claudia called Penelope, Peach because it was Penelope’s favorite color and also one of her favorite fruits.

“Well, I have something to tell you.” Penelope said as Claudia, who was sunbathing, got closer to the edge of the pool while Penelope swam closer to her.

Penelope was called a mermaid by her friends because whether in the pool or in the beach, she spent most of the time in the water which was why she was so tanned.

“Just spit it out!” Claudia said eagerly which made Penelope laugh because Claudia was normally very patient and calm.

“I’m in love.” Penelope smiled innocently as Claudia gave her an incredulous look.

“With who?” Claudia asked in astonishment. Penelope rarely talked about love, she only spoke of crushes so if she bluntly said that she was in love, it was because the situation was serious.

“You don’t know him, he’s not one of our friends. He’s actually a bit older than me.” Penelope said biting her lower lip.

“Uh! You naughty girl!” Claudia said playfully as Penelope giggled. “How old is he then?”

Penelope stopped to think “Around thirty, I guess.”

“Do you know anything about him?” Claudia asked suspiciously.

“Well, his name is Robert and he lives in a house near the forest. He has a really expensive car in which I have been in and he’s currently taking care of a dog, called Jarvis.”

“Are you kidding me? What’s his surname? His profession? Hobbies? Does he have kids?” Claudia asked.

“I don’t know and that’s the most wonderful part!” Penelope said as Claudia gave her a ‘You’re crazy’ look. “The best part is that he stood up for me against Kyle and that he makes me feel like someone actually appreciates me. Isn’t that the most important?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone!
First of all, what do you think of me including Penelope's and Robert's separate p.o.v's from once in a while? If you all approve of this, I can write it more often like in this chapter.
Penelope's outfit and the characters page will be update after I post this chapter.
Thank you to all my reads and subscribers. THANK YOU to all my faithful commenters, you guys are amazing ♥ I'm updating again because you make me so happy and excited and because 6 people have recommended this story... I'm speechless. You have no idea of how much that means to me.
Thank you ♥