Status: Weekly Updates

Man Behind the Mask

Chapter 12

Vivienne started making lunch when Eric knocked at the door. She told him to let himself in while she was working on the chicken and eggplant parmesan; Eric needed the carbs, protein, and vitamins for the game. He came up behind and wrapped his arms around her waist.
“Hey babe,” Eric whispered in her ear.
Without turning around, Vivienne replied, “Not now, Eric. I need to make this. You want to eat don’t you?” Eric dropped his arms to the side and sulked away. Vivienne’s tone had been harsher than she’d intended. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to say it that way, Eric. I guess I’m just stressed from being so unprepared. I wasn’t expecting to do anything today, and I wanted our “Christmas” to be really nice, since usually we, you know, just do crazy things.”
“Whether we are sitting at home or out at a bar, I always have a really nice time with you.”
“Eric you’re twisting my words. You know what I mean. I enjoy all of the time we spend together. But sometimes I like to have ‘classy’ evenings. I know we are young, but its nice to do old people stuff once in a while.” He gave a half smile. Vivienne realized there was no use dwelling on it or she’d end up making it worse.
Once she got to a point in cooking where she didn’t need to watch over the stove, she found Eric sitting on the couch and plopped her butt down on his lap. Vivienne kissed his cheek, and in return he put his arm around her, telling her that they were ok. A Christmas special came on, and the two chatted away sharing childhood memories of their families during the holiday season. Over lunch the two laughed about how much of an asshole Santa is to Rudolph, how perfect the Grinch’s wicked smile is while the narrator describes him in the beginning of the film, and how they both share aversion of Frosty.
As they ate, Vivienne’s phone rang. She gave Eric a sympathetic face, but he encouraged her to answer. “Hello?”
“Hey girl. Sorry for the wait. I was…indisposed…when you called,” Monica giggled.
“Thanks but I didn’t need the details there. Anyway, can I call you tonight? Eric’s here so…” The second woman understood that it meant Vivienne didn’t want Eric to know what she wanted to talk about. “You took too long.”
“I always take long,” Monica said in a flirty voice.
Vivienne mimicked it, “Oh baby. Ok, well I’ll call you tomorrow. Love ya sweetie.”
“Love ya too, hunny bunch. Bye!”
Eric looked at Vivienne. “What was that about?”
“Nothing. Just some silly girl talk. You know how we are.”
Eric was eager to exchange gifts. He begged for Vivienne to give him his gifts first, because he wanted to giver her her’s later. Vivienne gave him a gift bag with tissue paper filled to the brim. In it, Eric unveiled a homemade coupon book with entries like “one free homemade dinner,” “one free full body massage,” and “one free public sexual act *exclusions apply*.” Also in the bag was a mixed cd, a knitted scarf, and a batch of cookies. Lastly, Vivienne bought new workout clothes and shoes, which she handed to him wrapped separately.
Eric was happy with his gifts. He definitely needed something new to exercise in. He also really liked the cd and the cookies. “I didn’t realize I was dating a grandma,” Eric playfully joked with Vivienne when she told him she knitted the scarf.
Then he pulled out a present for Vivienne. She unwrapped a box that she instantly recognized carried jewelry. The girl looked at her boyfriend, then slowly opened the box. It contained a necklace, bracelet, and earrings of diamonds and white gold.
“Eric…” she said low and timid. Vivienne felt like maybe it was too much.
“Shh.” Eric reassured her, “Vivienne, you’re beautiful, and you deserve beautiful jewelry. Please, wear them. Don’t try to make me take them back. I wanted to buy them for you. I wasn’t sure what to get, and then I saw these and I instantly thought of you.” She blushed. Eric took the necklace and placed it around her neck. “I’d like to see you model these for me…”
Slowly, he began to peel off her clothes, starting with her sweater. Off came her slippers and pants. He stared at her for a moment, standing in front and very close in a leopard print lacy thong and black bra. Eric kissed her roughly and forced her to the wall, feeling all of her curves, but wanted her in even less. When she was only in the jewelry, Vivienne started to undress Eric, but was cut off when he scooped her up and carried her up the steps and into the bedroom. He gently placed her on the bed. Eric ran his hands up and down Vivienne’s body. Suddenly though, he stopped.
Vivienne looked at him, puzzled. “Eric?”
“What are those?” he asked, nodding towards her night stand. Vivienne explained to him the gift that Marc-Andre bought her. “So you put them next to your bed?” She had done that trying to quickly tidy up the living space of the loft.
“Well yea. Marc-Andre is my friend, and these are cute.” Eric sat up and got off the bed. He began collecting his clothes. “Eric, what’s wrong?”
“You think that’s cute? Is he more than a friend?” his voice rose.
“What?” Vivienne squeaked, confused and unsure of why Eric was getting worked up. “If you’re going to start accusing me, you can leave right now,” a low, stern voice threatened. Eric had never imagined Vivienne could sound like that. He buttoned his shirt back up and headed down the steps. She, too, redressed and walked to her door. Vivienne grabbed his things, threw them outside, ushered him out, and locked the deadbolt behind him.
As soon as he was gone, Vivienne took off the jewelry and put it in a box. Then she threw all of the pillows and soft things in the apartment around to blow off steam. When she calmed down, Vivienne grabbed her phone and called Monica.
“I thought you weren’t calling until tomorrow…”
“Change of plans. Should I start at the beginning, or start with my problem?”
Monica thought for a moment then decided on the beginning. “From the sound of your anger, I’m guessing Eric bought you a super shitty present. Tell me he didn’t sign a picture of himself…”
“I am mad at Eric, but it’s not about his gift. It’s about what Marc-Andre got me…”
“Oh! Do tell!!”
Vivienne recalled the events of the day, including what she originally called Monica about. She told Monica all about how Marc-Andre made her feel, the gifts he got her, the gifts she got both men, and Eric’s reaction to the entire thing. Monica was quiet the entire time, with the exception of a few “mhmm”s and “yea”s.
“Have you told Eric how you felt about Marc-Andre?”
“No. I never even really thought how I felt about him until today anyway. It’s never been a question. We have been in the friend zone since we met. And even now I’m unsure. I guess I’d rather have him as more than a friend, but at this point, I don’t need more than that. I don’t want to screw everything up. And I’m still trying to give my current relationship a chance. I shouldn’t be worrying about one that doesn’t exist when I have one. I can understand if Eric doesn’t like that. I would hate that. But honestly, I’m not even worried about this right now. I’m worried about Eric’s reaction to everything. Do you think that was out of line?”
“From what you just said, yes. And from where you stood before, yes. He did over-react. You haven’t been dating long, but long enough for him to know you’re not like that. It isn’t your fault that Marc-Andre is a better gift giver than him. Any man can buy a girl jewelry. Only a thoughtful man can buy a girl something original that she secretly desires.”
Vivienne frowned. “Should I leave him then?”
“What do you think?”
“I don’t know. I mean, I have a lot of fun with Eric. But this would be horrible timing, you know? I feel like it wouldn’t be fair right now.”
“Would it be fair to keep him waiting?”
“Was it fair for him to blow up on me?”
“Good point,” Monica agreed [female logic =P].
“I’m going to wait for an apology, then give him a second chance. He’s been good to me. I owe him at least that.”
“I’m gonna call the girls. Lets get drunk at my place, eat ice cream, and watch movies with sexy men.” Monica knew that her friend needed a girls night, and she was more than happy to host it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I AM SO SO SO SORRY FOR THE WAIT!!! omg. so much is going on. the last two months have been very hectic, and then i took some time for me.
School has started up again, so after a few more chapters, there might be another hiatus. This is because Japanese takes up all of my time. All of it. ugh.
Also, I intended to get this chapter out around the same time that Marc-Andre got married, and thats when shit started getting real, so yea...as a result, I publicly declare my belated congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Marc-Andre Fleury.
=]