Status: Weekly Updates

Man Behind the Mask

Chapter 15

The temperature was pretty low; for New Years Eve, 19 degrees was expected, but with the heat from inside, they felt comfortable. The girls weren’t going to stay out long, so there was no need to put on coats. Just a short, private chat out on the deck, that had everything the party would need for what would happen in about an hour’s time.
“What’s up, sweet cheeks?”
“I’m so confused! I know that I need to wait a few more weeks, maybe even go on a date with a guy or two before I make a real move, but I really want something to happen between Marc-Andre and I. I don’t want to be his rebound girl. And I don’t want to make any more tension between Eric and the team, especially Marc-Andre. But over the last few months, we’ve gotten really close. And dancing tonight?”
“Yea. I could tell. I saw that. Looked like a party with you, Flower, and Gronk,” Monica winked. “Those boys were all over you. I’m pretty sure Jordan was just there for moral support and to keep the both of you from making matters on the ice worse. But Marc-Andre? Marc-Andre was definitely happy to be there. You definitely had his attention.” She sighed, “But you’re right. Just wait. The time will come. You like him, and its obvious he likes you back. Just…don’t do anything stupid, you know? Keep dropping hints. Maybe you could even talk to him about your feelings.”
With that last comment, Vivienne just looked at her friend like she grew antennae or something. “Talk to him about my feelings? What are you, insane?”
“Ok, that was a bad suggestion. We…you…don’t want to scare him.”
“Glad you’re a part of this too,” Vivienne laughed at her friend.
“I have to involve myself in everything.”
The sliding glass door opened, and a handful of men piled out. “Sorry if we are interrupting anything. We have to get everything ready for midnight…” Marc-Andre excused himself, Kris, TK, and Matt [Cooke].
The girls raised their eyebrows, a bit confused at what he meant. “Every New Year’s Eve, we set up fireworks way in the back for midnight. He’s got a ball that drops set off to a timer and everything,” Matt explained. “Come back out at like, ten til?” he questioned, looking back at the rest of the group before continuing, “so you have no chance of missing any of it.”
“Don’t forget to have whoever you want to share your first kiss of the year with next to you,” Tanger added.
Viv made a face. “Super lame. George isn’t here,” she said exasperated.
The group of men made a face, and Marc-Andre looked a bit upset. “George?” he asked.
“Clooney,” Monica answered before Vivienne could open her mouth. TK, Jordan, and Marc-Andre relaxed a bit. “But Viv would have to fight off many a person here.”
“Me included,” Matt joked.
“I don’t know. I think Joey would be the one who would get George’s kiss, much to everyone’s dismay,” Vivienne hypothesized.
“It’s not happening so it doesn’t matter. We have to go set up. C’mon,” Marc-Andre ushered his friends away. TK shrugged, signaling that he didn’t know what was wrong with Flower and followed the rest of the group. The girls went back inside; they’d become cold, anyway.
Marc-Andre’s house was nice and warm. Monica and Vivienne walked past the living room again to see their friends still dancing. Sara was all up on James; Joey and Alvin were just having a great time; Kammi and Mike were getting a little too close for everyone’s comfort. Sarah was dancing with some of the ladies, one of which being Catherine, but Viv saw that Sarah wasn’t going to be doing that much longer; Dustin was eyeing her up and making his way over. Alcohol finally started having some effects over the party goers. Monica and Vivienne needed to refuel, so they stopped in the kitchen to get another drink. The girls joined up with everyone and danced for a bit more.
At about quarter to twelve, guests who brought their kids went to retrieve them from the “kid room”. Pascal had a half asleep child in each arm. Seeing families gather their members triggered everyone else to take the party outside. People grabbed coats because it would be a good bit before they went back in, and then huddled together Marc-Andre’s deck and patio to watch the light display. Marc-Andre, Gronk, Monica, Alvin, Vivienne, and about twenty other people stood out over the yard on the deck; the guys told Alvin the best view was from up there.
With about five minutes to go, the light fixture that was the soon-to-drop ball came alive. It looked beautiful in the center of the yard; twinkling lights reflected on the snow, igniting the place in a warm glow. The scene was absolutely magnificent. Vivienne stared out, completely content in the moment.
“Beautiful, isn’t it?” she spoke out loud to anyone who would answer.
“Yea. I’m glad you came tonight. This is the best part. Seeing everyone together and happy, sharing this impressive view…” Marc-Andre responded.
She smiled. “Photo op? I want to remember how much fun this was, and how glorious everything looks.” Marc-Andre took the phone from her hands, pulled her in close, and snapped the picture [his arms are longer and can get a better view of what is behind them as well as the two in it, in case some people missed the point of that]. “Thanks. That will probably be my background for everything,” Vivienne chuckled.
Another party guest came up and talked to Marc-Andre, so Vivienne turned her attention to Jordan, who was on her other side. She took a picture with him as well. Jordan rested his right arm on her left shoulder. “Hey Viv, before everything gets chaotic…want to be my New Years kiss?” he asked, making a fish/kissy face. Vivienne raised her eyebrow at him playfully. “Just a simple friendly peck. You know, so that I don’t have to kiss some weird chick. I don’t know most of these people. Marc-Andre has strange taste in party guests. Did you see those three girls basically having sex earlier to Britney Spears?”
Vivienne slapped him playfully. “Now I’ll do everything in my power to make sure your first kiss this year isn’t until March!”
“Nooooo! Vivienne,” the center whined and made the puppy dog face.
“Ugh fine! As long as you stop with the weird faces and the crying.” They both smiled and looked around at the rest of the party. Everyone seemed to truly be enjoying themselves. The moment was magical.
Red lights came on the ball, counting the seconds down starting at fifteen. “Ten, nine, eight,” all of the people chanted in unison. Vivienne watched as kids looked on in awe at the ball, as lovers gazed into each others eyes, preparing for their first kiss of the year. “Seven, six, five…” A few feet down to her left, Vivienne could see Alvin and Monica wrapped up in each others arms, cherishing this moment. She snapped a picture of them in their romantic bliss. “Four, three…” Her focus went back to the ball. “Two, one…Happy New Year!” everyone screamed. Fireworks of all colors lit up the sky. Over the snow, the colors reflected as though in a mirror, faltering only when ashes fell onto the virgin snow.
Jordan bent down and gave her a very short, barely-even-there peck. They laughed and watched as everyone gave real kisses out. Even Marc-Andre joined in the tradition; he was kissing the party guest who interrupted their picture taking. Vivienne was a little hurt by this, but it also made her feel better; Vivienne wouldn’t be the rebound after Vero if anything happened between Marc-Andre and her. It meant that Marc-Andre was moving on and getting over his past love and sadness, making room for a new woman in his heart.
Monica and Alvin were standing a few people down, still kissing about one minute after midnight. They were a cute couple, and Vivienne wished that every relationship she’d been in had been like her two friends’. Vivienne snapped a picture, not trying to be creepy, but to document this moment for them. She was surprised, however, when Alvin pulled away from Monica and put his hands in his pockets. The onlooker saw her best friend make a disappointed face. That is, until Alvin grabbed Monica’s hand, dropped to one knee, and pulled out a little black box. Vivienne was very happy to have been watching through the camera as Monica started to cry with whatever the little speech Alvin was giving. This is where other people started to take notice of what was happening. Everyone nearby was smiling and giving them some space. Alvin slipped the ring onto Monica’s finger, stood up, lifted her, and spun her around. They kissed again.
Once things died down and the two were ready to share each other with the world again, Monica came bounding over to Vivienne, who ran at the other. They embraced and screamed and giggled like little girls. “Congratulations love! I’m so happy for you!!” Vivienne looked up quickly. Her eyes met with Marc-Andre’s briefly, before getting spun in another direction. “You’re getting married!!! Oh my goodness!!!”

*intentional comma
♠ ♠ ♠
so yea...obviously, things didn't go as planned...but i've got wireless at home now, so maybe i'll stop being lazy...