Status: Actively rewriting and posting.

Walking Backwards

XVIII

“Get away from me,” I growled meekly while doing the best I could to lift my hands up and push him away.

“How cute,” he chortled. “You think you can order me around.” He circled around the chair, his eyes boring holes into my skin. His arms reached around the chair as he stood behind me, his right hand tilting my head over and his left moving hair away from my neck. “I guess you didn’t understand when I said mine earlier.” He trailed his nails along my neck which sent shivers rushing up and down my spine.

“I don’t belong to anyone, especially you—ow,” I yelped softly as I flinched.

“Oops,” he chuckled as he moved his hand. I could feel a drop of blood trailing its way down my neck and over my shoulder. He had used his nail to scratch me, just slightly. “I’ll let that one slip.” I heard him walking away. I didn’t hear anything for a few moments then I saw the curtains moving, they were pulling back.

As I looked around I noticed the walls were made of glass, well, mirrors to be exact. There were three panels of mirrors on each wall, each surrounded by a golden border. I could see the man standing in a corner next to an old record player. He slipped on a disc and walked back to me as a low hum of violins filled the room.

“Anyway, I’m much more of a lover than a fighter.” I wanted to call him out on that… he did have me kid napped. But all of a sudden I was scared again. My nerve had completely left me. He effortlessly picked me up and leaned my back against his chest. “I just adore red, even against your pale skin.” His lips curled up into a smile as he set his hands on my hips.

He slowly started to sway back and forth; his hands tightened and started to make me sway with him. What was he playing at? I mean who does this? Where is Edward, I just wish I could tell him a few things. Oh god, what do I do?

My jaw tightened as I tried to force everything out of my head. I can’t cry. I can’t, not here not near him. Regardless of how much I try fighting it, a tear finds a way down my cheek. Atemi turns me around and forces me to look up at him. His thumb glides over my cheek and wipes the stray tear away. “What’s this for? A lady should never shed tears when she’s happy.”

“Happy, who in the hell would be happy?” I bit my lip. I shouldn’t have said that… I shouldn’t have said that, not at all. Atemi glared at me, glared with such intensity. I found myself being thrown through the air. My back collided with one of the mirrors, shattering it into a thousand little shards that poked and pricked at my skin.

I couldn’t even scream. I was in such shock that my voice was lost somewhere in my throat. The room was spinning and it took all I had to focus back up on the slowly approaching man who picked me up by my neck, my feet hovering just an inch above the floor. “Now listen, I said you are happy. Not another peep, let your last night be a good one, okay?”

My last night? I had heard that right, last night. I repeated it over and over as he twirled us around the room. This was not going to be a good night… this was not going to end well. I was going to die, and I was going to be in a world of pain.

There is no prince charming and there is not a knight in shining armor. I had sent the only person who could even dare be of some help away to the mountains. By the time Carlisle realized I was gone, I would more than likely be dead. And… who knows what this guy does with those he’s killed?

I found myself in another pile of mirror shards. I don’t even know what I did this time to irritate him. But there he was again, mouthing words that I could not understand.

Image


Third Person Point of View

“Edward, stop the car!” Alice yelled from her seat on the passenger side. Her eyes had become wide and she tightened her grip on her seat belt. Edward, shocked, quickly pulled the car over. They were on their way to the mountains. None of the Cullens have seen Jacey in about two days because of the trip.

“What is it?” Jasper leaned forward. Because of Alice’s outburst Jasper was very concerned, the reaction on her face was one mixed of horror and worry. Her eyes darted back and forth over the road as she was piecing together the fragments in her own mind.

“Atemi Demah…” she breathed, still not focusing on anyone particular.

“What about him?” Edward asked. Yes, the Cullens all knew of the infamous Atemi. He was supposed to be held in Russia, not supposed to be able to leave his cushiony prison. He usually had his henchmen do his dirty work. Atemi Demah, why was he being restrained to one particular place? Some vampires are very heartless, but even they don’t particular like a collector.

Yes, that’s right a collector. He would collect unique girls across the world only to play with them like a rag doll and then toss them. Well, he tossed them after draining them of all blood, energy, and desire to live.

“He’s here, Edward.” Alice looked up at him, her bottom lip quivered as she tried to figure out a way to tell him what she needed to.

“He’s… got Jewlz.” Edward tightened his grip on the steering wheel as he glared at the road. Not another word was said. He quickly revved up the engine and turned around. He had to get to Jewlz before anything happened. He shouldn’t have left. He knew it. Why were bad things always following Jewlz? Why can she not catch a single break, not one?

Alice’s fingers flew across the dial-pad of her phone, Carlisle answered after half of a ring. “Yes?”

“Atemi Demah has Jewlz.” She spoke fast and low. She could hear gasp from Esme and a shuffle of feet and then pages being turned quickly. They didn’t need to read minds to know what they needed to do. They needed to find out where he was staying for now. They were hoping that he wasn’t too far. One question that was plaguing Edward’s mind was how come they didn’t see this coming?

I mean with him being able to read minds and Alice being able to see bits of the future, there should have been some kind of red flag. “Calm down, Edward.” Jasper sat his hand on Edward’s shoulders as he was doing the bed he could to control Edward’s anger.

“How would you feel if someone like him had Alice?” Edward snapped, immediately regretting it as it left his lips. He mumbled an apology and the drive continued in silence.

They were half way to the house when Alice’s phone rang. She quickly picked it up to hear directions to the house that Jewlz and Atemi were at. They were actually close. Carlisle was in his car with Emmet, the women were going to stay home. Everyone knew what was going to happen, and something like that should be limited to only a few eyes.

They all thought the same thing. Please let us make it in time. The minutes seemed to crawl by, and even though Edward was driving at top speed he thought they would never make it. If he had a heart it would probably pound out of his chest.

Never has he felt such pain an anxiety. He was going to keep her safe, that all he could think. That’s all he wanted to do. He just wanted to hear her laugh and make silly jokes that only made sense to her. He wanted to see her smile, and never again was she to be hurt. But here she was, in the hands of a cold hearted predator.

If anything happened to his Jewlz, he would never forgive himself, ever. She was the one and only thing he was supposed to worry about, to care for.

All Alice could do was watch from her seat. Watching Edward go through something like this was so wrong. Even Jasper was doing his best to keep everyone’s emotions at bay, but even he was in a frazzled state. What Edward had said did get to him… What if it was Alice?

But it’s not.

Finally they screeched to a halt in front of the mansion. All the lights were out but in a few rooms and in one of those rooms were Jewlz. It didn’t take Carlisle long to catch up. He hurried out of the car and jogged up to Edward.

“Are you okay?”

“It doesn’t matter if I’m okay; we need to get to her.” Edward barked, he was on end and thinking clearly was not something he could do right now. Carlisle nodded sadly. They all dashed up to the steps and forced the door open.

It hit them. Like a freight train a smell hit them and figuratively almost knocked them back. “No…” Edward grumbled as he stepped back for a second.

“We don’t know anything yet,” Carlisle said reassuringly.

“That’s her blood though, that is her smell and it’s so strong…”

“Let’s find her first, Edward.” Emmet mumbled. Whoever did this was going to pay a thousand times over. Edward ran, following her smell. The rest were behind him, waiting for someone or something to jump out at them but nothing ever did.

Finally they reached a door. It was a huge door and opened easily. There she was. “Jacey…” Edward was approaching her. She lay slumped in the middle of the room in a pool of her own blood.

“Oh, it seems you did make it, what a pity.” Atemi appeared from behind a tattered curtain. “I was just about to enjoy my meal while it’s still warm.” Edward lunged forward at the man.

“Emmet help Edward,” Carlisle ordered. “Alice find some sheets.” Carlisle rushed over and picked her up. She was barely conscious, barely breathing. What was left of the dress hung simply by a single thread.

Carlisle took Jacey down to the first floor and laid her on some sheets that Alice had gathered. She was also tearing up strips to try and bandage Jacey. Alice crawled over to Jacey and moved some hair that matted to her face. “JuJu bear, you’ve got to be okay.” Alice choked as Carlisle busied himself in trying to stop some of the bleeding.

Alice watched as Jacey attempted to look up at her. This can’t be happening. “I’m so sorry… I’m so sorry…” Alice repeated as she stroked the back of Jacey’s hand. This is all she could do. She wanted to cry and scream, never before had she actually want to join in with the boys to fight. But this was so wrong… so very wrong.

Jacey had lost so much blood and it seemed no matter where Carlisle looked, there was always another place. These weren’t just scratches, they were deep. Edward and Emmet finally came down the stairs.

“How is she?” Edward managed to ask.

“I… there’s really nothing I can do…” Carlisle hung his head sadly. “Only you can save her Edward, and you know how.”

“I can’t make that decision.” Edward looked on in horror.

“Edward,” a small voice made everyone in the room go silent and hold their breath. Edward was by Jacey’s side in a second.

“Yes,” he did his best to mask the pain.

“Just… wanted to let you… know that—everything is okay… I will always love you—and miss you… I’m so sorry I couldn’t keep my promise. Please… forgive me, Edward—I love you.”

They all heard as the blood bubbled in Jacey’s throat before silence fell over the entire building. That was it. Nothing else that could go on, Jacey would now be free.

Image


A few months passed and shadows fell over a deserted grave site. “A sad day it was, a passing of an angel. But the freeing of a beautiful dove. No one can disagree that this young woman brought the sun to Forks. Always bright and bubbly, but no longer so. There will never be another like Jacey, another shining star or bright heart. Personally, I don’t think there’s a person that could even compare—ow!” I rubbed the back of my head as I looked up at Edward. “Uh, rude much. You can’t just interrupt someone’s eulogy!”

“Jewlz really? You are so morbid, you are very much alive—“

“I am not alive; do I have a beating heart? No, I do not and since no one did, I deserve a damn eulogy!” I stomped my foot as Alice and Jasper chuckled.

“I don’t even know what to do with you Jewlz… I swear I don’t.” Edward rubbed the bridge of his nose as if he had an oncoming headache.

“Be quiet for one thing.” I huffed as I turned back around.

“Not even.” Edward hoisted me up on his shoulder and started walking back to his car.

“Edward Cullen you put me down this instance, I demand to be put down, dammit. It my freaking birthday, you said!” My nose flared as I beat against his back lightly.

“That’s right and we are going to be late to the dance because of you, now hush.” Edward smiled as he sat me down and ushered me into the car. I stuck my tongue out at him and fixed my dress before sliding in.

I couldn’t help but grin as I looked back at the grave. Written on it was Vincent’s name. Well, I could you could say he sort of had an accident. Well, actually he had a heart attack when he saw me, tripped and fell down the stairs. Oopsie.

I am happy though, and I couldn’t be happier. I know it isn’t happily ever after, but I’m with the one I love and there is no one else who can harm me. Things couldn’t be better. I lean over and peck Edward on the cheek as he slides in. “So can we have sex tonight?” I smirked as Edward nearly choked on air.
♠ ♠ ♠
First of all, thank you to all those who read and commented on this story. I love you guys forever and always. If you want a sequel, I need to know. I have made up a summary and everything click here Running in Circles. Either comment here or there if you want me to do it, if I see even a few subscribers I will go ahead, I just need to know what you guys think.

No it isn't some "comment or I won't do it." I just want to know if you guys WANT it, you know? If that makes sense.

I hope you guys enjoyed this little over-dramatic twist of event after twist. Again, thank you. :)

**note, I only edit after I post on mibba because that's the only time I actually notice mistakes, so let me go over it before grammar nazis bite me. :)