Status: Active again.

Letters to Heaven

Letter 3

Dear xxxxxx,
I'm not as cold hearted as everyone thinks. Its just that overtime, I've built up a wall, secluding myself from anything and everything.And the only one who could surpass that barrier was, and always will be, you.


***

"Estelle!" Janice screeched, running towards Estelle and engulfing her in a warm hug, slightly on her toes due to the height difference.

"Woah there, little one", Estelle chuckled returning the embrace", you got stronger! Almost knocked me over." Janice pulled out of the hug to pout.

"Hey now, we're seeing eachother for the first time in years and the first thing you call me is "little one"?" Janice continued to pout.

"You know I'm just joking." Estelle nudged Janice lightly continuing to laugh warmly. "You got a lot taller actually. And cuter, definitely." Janice broke out into a smile.

"You're one to talk, you're...well...friggin amazingly greek goddess like gorgeous!" Janice rejoiced as she took a step back to admire Estelle. While she was always quite the looker all her life, you could say her beauty was now at it's prime. Her jet black hair fell in soft full waves down to her waist whilst framing her delicate ivory face. She was most envied for her doll like facial features; a perfectly sloped button nose, full pink lips, porcelain smooth skin, and warm brown eyes.

"Why thank you, you know you always did have such a way with words." Estelle laughed. They continued to get reacquainted with each other as they walked over to Estelle's favorite cafe.

"Here you go, two hot chocolates!" The bubbly waitress announced as she carefully set the drinks in front of the two. "Enjoy!" They quietly sat for a bit and sipped their warm drinks, the steam still gracefully dancing in the air, condensation forming on the outside of the mug.

"Are you ever going to tell me what happened?" Janice asked with a serious tone, breaking the peaceful silence.

"...What do you mean?" Estelle replied calmly, trying her best to hide the slight hesitation in her voice.

"You know what I mean, Estelle. What, you expected no one to notice or anything when you just suddenly drop out of school, moved out, and left the city?"

"I didn't know that it was of anyone else's business or concerns."

"Ok, yes, it very well may not be anyone's business, but we definitely were concerned!" Janice cried out, making Estelle finally look up and face her. "I don't know if you felt the same way, but you were my best friend Estelle! It felt like you left the face of the earth! Whenever I'd call you, some strange woman would pick up and say you weren't available...I sent letters and everything...just to end up with nothing!"

"Wait...you sent me letters?" Estelle asked in confusion.

"Yes, Estelle, tons! After bugging that woman on the phone for weeks until she finally gave me an address for letters, that she said she'd make sure to get them to you. " Janice breathed out. "What, you didn't you get them or something?"

"No...I..." Estelle stared wide eyed at Janice. "That...I...uhh...I have to go." Estelle jumped out of her chair, grabbing her coat and keys. "I'm sorry. Oh and", she reached into her pocket and pulled out a $10 bill and placed it on the table. "My treat. Again, sorry...I just...I just remembered something." And without hearing Janice's reply, she quickly burst through the doors of the cafe, earning her looks from pedestrians.

Out of the cafe and rushing towards the bus, Estelle pulled out her cellphone and dialed a number. She put the phone to her ear and let it ring, weaving through the crowd on the streets, occasionally bumping into people and earning her snickers of disapproval which she ignored.

She always questioned herself about why she continued to stay in New York City of all places. Her and big crowds never really clicked well together. Yet she continued to get up every morning and walk through the city and its people to get where she needed, no matter how much she disliked it. But maybe its not such a bad thing. Being deep inside a crowd, among hundreds of people, in a way it seems more...secure.

"Hello?" She asked as the line clicked on the other end. "We need to talk. What's this I hear about me getting letters?"