Status: Active again.

Letters to Heaven

Letter 4

Dear xxxxxx,
You know what's nice about being one single person in this world full of billions? No matter how bad I feel about myself, how crazy or sad I think my life is, there's always someone out there who's got it worse.


***

After catching the bus and riding for a little over an hour, Estelle was now at the doorstep of an old, worn down, 2 story Victorian style house. The house was pretty much in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees and fields of nothingness for miles. The air was foggy and gave off an eerie feeling, the utter silence except for the cawing of Ravens making it even worse. The air smelled of nature, but it made it creepier, it just didn't fit. The atmosphere of the place was pretty much of death...exactly how Estelle remembered it.

She made her way up the creaking wooden stairs, which seemed as if they would give in with every fragile step she made. Finally up on the porch, she stood in front of the entrance , raising her hand up to grab the door knocker placed in the middle of the huge door. But before she could, the door was already swung open, and on the other side was a fragile woman in her late 30s. She was dressed in a deep red nightgown that cascaded down to the floor boards, her hair dyed a dark brown and fashionably cut shaggy and boy short.

"Aunt Elaine..." Estelle breathed out, taking in the appearance of the woman. Just like usual, it seemed as if she hasn't aged much. Her aunt was always envied for her beauty which seemed to never fade. Although she was turning 36 this year, she could pass for a ripe woman in her late 20s. Even so, it seems as if life has finally hit her, the age slowly beginning to show on her face.

"Ah, well if it isn't little Estelle." Her Aunt Elaine's lips curled into a warm smile as she reached her hand over and placed it on Estelle's cheek. "Beautiful as always...", she smiled, squinting her eyes slightly ",well you are my niece after all." She pulled Estelle into a quick hug then pulled her gently inside. "Come on in, its chilly out there isn't it? Why didn't you wear a coat, dear? You know how the weather gets over here you-"

"Aunt Elaine, please." Estelle sighed as she pulled away from her Aunt once inside. "I'm not here for this. Answer what I asked on the phone. Why didn't you tell me my friends tried contacting me all those years?"

"Now, is that the tone you should be speaking to your Aunt in?" She frowned, clicking her tongue in disapproval. "Letting you live out on your own...I guess it made you forget your manners."

"Manners?" Estelle snorted. "Please, watching your niece suffer by herself and not telling her that her friends want to speak to her, making her believe that no one wants to see her or cares for her...is that exactly considered manners?"

"Listen here." Aunt Elaine hissed as she grabbed Estelle roughly by the shoulder. " How can you speak like that to me of all people? After your foolish mother passed away, who supported you all those years? And after you nearly killed yourself because of that guy-"

"Auntie Elaine!" Estelle shouted, tears stinging at her eyes. She tightly gripped the hem of her shirt, her knuckles turning a pasty white. Hearing her aunts words pierced her right in the chest, a giant lump forming in her throat that just wouldn't go down.

"Estelle..." Her Aunt's features softened, noticing her niece's pain. "I know it seems like I'm the bad guy, but I'm really not. I was trying to protect you. You obviously took a big strike in your life and...I didn't think that letting them contact you was the best thing at the moment. The thing you needed was to get away from that place...to forget. I obviously couldn't stop you from leaving when you turned 18. But compared to before...you're so much stronger now. Thanks to who?"

"I'm stronger now? Maybe." Estelle pursed her lips, swallowing hard. " But secluding myself from the world...not knowing anything about what happened to this day...there's so much I don't know...that I want to know." She looked up, staring straight into her Aunts eyes. "And I will find out. You may have fooled me into shutting myself up then...but like you said, I'm stronger now." And with that she walked away, her aunt watching her back in amusement.

*************

"You can come out now." Aunt Elaine called out. A man stepped out from the shadows of the house striding towards her.

"She seems interesting." He chuckled then swiftly turned towards Elaine. "She looks so much like you..." He mused, brushing the back of his fingers gently across her cheek. She smacked his hand away with a snort. He chuckled again in response, and turned his gaze back outside.

"I suppose. But her personality is just like her mothers...So difficult....Such a waste." She sighed.

"So...should I make a move now?" He asked after a moment of silence. Elaine paused for a moment staring up at the sky, then turned heading back into the house, pulling her shawl tighter.

"Do as you wish."