Status: Active again.

Letters to Heaven

Letter 6

Dear xxxxxxxx,
I'm always afraid of what would happen if I moved on. Would you forget about me? Would I forget about you? Is it really as easy as it sounds to let go of all those years? But I think the real question is, what hurts more, letting go or holding on...


***

"So what do you do for a living? Other than...you know...trying to con people." Estelle turned to him. They had been driving silently for about 20 minutes now and she decided to break the ice first.

"Ignoring the second part, I'm... I guess you could say a personal assistant/bodyguard by night."

"...Do I want to know?" He simply chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. Estelle sighed and continued.

"Well..then...what do you do by day?"

"Director of my family's company." Estelle turned to stare at him, her right eye slightly cocked up in suspicion. He turned his gaze to hers and breathed out a slight laugh. "What, you don't believe me?" She opened her mouth slightly the pursed her lips and turned away her gaze.

"No, just didn't expect that. Body guard and company director or on two pretty opposite sides of the spectrum. What's your company's name?" She asked in amusement.

"Oh, it's just some random company. You probably wouldn't even know it."

"...you're really being serious...?" He chuckled again and swiftly ran his fingers through the front of his hair. Usually guys like this put her off, she hated cocky guys. But everything he did seemed so smooth and natural, like he wasn't putting up an act, it's just well, him.

"And what would I get out of joking around about something like that ? But it's your choice to believe me or not...", he snickered, a smirk on his mouth but his eyes still concentrated on the road.

"Sorry," she breathed out, "just unexpected...it just makes me feel very unaccomplished in life." There was silence in the car as he turned his gaze on her again.

"Well, if I'm being honest, I can't say I completely worked for this job. It was pretty much handed to me...it's my family's company, remember?"

"Still, you are doing much more than me. I have no job...no ambitions...didn't even graduate high school." She laughed bitterly at herself, earning Haine's looks again. After realizing what she said, she coughed slightly. "Erm...so how close are we to the bus stop?"She quickly changed the subject. She didn't really like talking about herself and her life. Because it always leads to thoughts of him..

"Bus stop? Well it's actually right here. I could just drop you off home though if you want?" Haine suggested. Estelle looked to her right, and just as he said, there was the bus stop.

"No, it's fine. I think our little adventure stops here." Estelle turned to smile at him. "Thank you for the ride, I appreciate it. It was...interesting meeting you. Good bye." She slightly bowed out of habit, and exited the car. Haine simply smiled at her as she walked away, and then said something as she shut the door. Estelle turned to listen, only to see his car zooming off.

She's not sure if she heard correctly, but she could have sworn he said "Goodbye, for now."

She brushed the thought off and walked over to the bus stop, which soon after, arrived to take her home.

***

"Welcome back! Haven't seen you in a while!" The doorman chimed happily as Estelle walked into the lobby. She smiled back warmly at him.

"I had to deal with a few family things I guess you could say. It's nice to back though." She checked her mailbox, still nothing, and disappointingly went to the elevator, clicked her floor number, and was off to her room.

As soon as she walked in, her apartment phone rang, as if right on cue. She ran over to it, kicking off her boots in the process. "Hello?" she asked as she pulled off her coat.

"Hey! It's me, Janice!" A bubbly voice replied on the other end, making Estelle smile. It's hard not to smile in response to such a happy-go-lucky person.

"Well, hello there sunshine. What's up?"

"What's up is I have an amazing offer for you."

"Amazing offer huh? Please fill me in for I am very lost."

"Well," Janice giggled, "you're not working right now, right?"

"Yes, sadly, thanks for the reminder." Estelle sighed.

"Well, there's this company that just started a new New York branch and they're looking for personal assistants, ready to hire immediately!" Janice gushed out in excitement.

"Ah...Janice...it sounds great, really. But I doubt they'd choose me, an inexperienced high school dropout. I've never even been in an office setting before.."

"So? You can learn!"

"Well, yes I mean I can...but-"

"And don't worry about not being chosen! I happen to have a few connections, I'll definitely put in some good words!"

"But I don't know if-"

"Come on Estelle, please! I want you to be happy. You used to be so happy in high school when you got your first job, you were so determined to make your own money and be independent. That was the happiest I've ever seen you to be honest. You used to always use your paychecks to treat us, saying that making others feel good and happy made you feel good about yourself...So come on! Once in a life time chance...Ok well maybe not that amazing but it's still an opportunity. And I definitely wouldn't mind being spoiled by you again.."

Estelle chuckled before she went silent. She bit her lip in contemplation. Then with the nod of her head, she came to a decision.

"You're right...it wouldn't hurt to try. Chances are meant to be taken. Just tell me what to do."