The Alchemist's Code

Thane's demise

Gunfire raged outside as Captain Thane studied his detailed maps with persistence. Over and over, his eyes ran across the parchment that was scribbled with black ink, desperate for a solution. He ran his finger from Shallow Falls -that had been marked on the map with a large, ink circle- to The Isles, which had also been marked with a circle.
He growled with fury as he realised that his plan would be a folly as it would surely mean to lead his platoon through the Peaks, renowned for the hideous ambush attacks by the ‘Savages’. He continued to study his map intently.

A puffing corporal came bursting through the flaps of Thane’s tent, waving an envelope that seemed to contain great importance.
“Calm yourself, boy!” Thane commanded. The corporal choked desperately for his words.
“Captain,” the corporal wheezed. “A message from the rebels, sir!” He stumbled over to Thane’s desk, slamming the envelope heavily down on the desk before collapsing from exhaustion, coughing and writing on the ground. Thane stared curiously at the envelope, snatching it up and tearing at the wax seal. His eyes slid over the text and finally stopped on the words of grave importance:
The South Fleet command post has been captured by the Rebels. No hostages, no survivors.
Thane slumped back in his chair, resting his head in his hand. The South Fleet had been one of the strongest platoons issued by the Imperial Army. The entire south region was assured to be theirs. His mind puzzled how a bunch of outlawed rebels could have possibly outsmarted the South Fleet.
His fist tightened and his jaw clenched. He stood, collecting his sword and stormed out of his tent, into the centre of the camp.
“Heinrich!” he called. Soldiers of varying ranks scuttled around him. “Heinrich!” he called again angrily.

Heinrich Kahn was Thane’s advisor, both strategically and spiritually. Thane had always been a spiritual man, turning to varying gods in his time of need. However, the gods did not seem to be returning the favour of his prayer.
It was the duty of Kahn to be the catalyst for Thane in times of spiritual enlightenment when the gods did not answer his prayers. He was a man on the peak of being elderly. His long, sleek, black hair was now riddled with streams of white. His dark, leathery face always maintained a sense of calm and serenity, which contradicted his occasional harsh wit. He dressed in regal black robes, polished leather boots that sat comfortably on his ankles and carried a finely polished, redwood cane. He was a man of respect, a man of wisdom, however a man to fear. He was such an unpredictable character that very few people dared converse or consult with him.
Thane, on the other hand had little time for fear as his mind pulsed with confusion, problems and solutions.

“Kahn!” Thane roared again. He watched as Kahn calmly approached, barely dodging the blur of soldiers. Before too long, Kahn stood before Thane in a composed stance.
“You called, Luis?” Kahn questioned sarcastically. Thane growled and marched off toward his tent, gesturing for Kahn to follow.
Thane slid behind his desk, snatching the letter he had received earlier.
“Have you seen this!?” Thane boomed as he scrunched up the parchment and hurled it at Kahn. He watched solemnly as the parchment bounced at his feet. Slowly he bent over to pick it up and unravelled the creases.
“It’s barbaric! It’s insane! How could we have allowed this to happen, Kahn?” Kahn scoffed as he eyes slid over the words.
“Maybe they’re starting to think,” he commented sarcastically. Another fierce glare was thrown at the old man. “I joke. However, they’re strategies seem to be improving. It has been months since we have even seen evidence of their presence among these mountains.”
“Perhaps we are driving them out!” Thane protested.
“Hardly,” Kahn replied coldly. “Just because we cannot see the morning bird, is that to say that its call is invalid?” Thane stared in confusion. “What I am trying to say, Luis, is that-“
“I do not need you to relay my own assumptions, Kahn! That is not your assigned position!” Thane sighed. “My apologies, Kahn. My comments were harsh. But, my head is swollen with questions that no longer contain answers. It is an infuriating position, and it haunts me so.”
Kahn nodded in acceptance. “You required comfort, not guidance.” Thane shook his head.
“I require both.” Thane stared out through the slit of his tent to the dust filled camp outside where men continued to ramble and hustle. “Those men out there,” he started gravely. “They are pawns; disposables. They understand orders, not situations.” He turned to face Kahn yet again. “We are the ones who give the orders, are we not, Kahn? We command the pawns. We understand the situations.”
Kahn merely stared.
“What are you proposing?” he inquired with little interest.
“We need a soldier who will accept orders as well as provide A man who understands the situation, as well as fight for it!” Thane replied determined. Kahn nodded once again.
“I think I can salvage such a being.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This still needs a lot of work I know, but I wanted to put it up here anyway.