Beautiful, I'll Keep You Safe

Chapter One: Meeting His Parents

I took a deep breath. Xavier was taking me to meet his family. I was worried that they wouldn’t approve of me. What if they thought I wasn’t pretty enough for Xavier and he broke up with me? God, that would suck. I’d probably go all emo and start cutting.

I briefly pictured dyeing my wavy brown hair black, and obsessively straightening it. I imagined looking like a raccoon with all the eyeliner I’d smudge on my face. I looked down at my wrists, and shivered. Okay, so maybe emo wasn’t my thing.

I sprayed a little perfume on my neck. I had borrowed it from Cookie, which meant I smelled faintly like vanilla. Cookie had an unhealthy obsession with vanilla.

A knock at the front door had me running down the steps. I opened the door with a smile on my face…only to give my brother’s friend, Josh, a confused look.

Josh was a sandy haired, blue eyed kid of about nine years. He was tall for his age, and that’s pretty much all that I could say about him. He was a horrible flirt with the worst pickup lines. Not even the Kindergarteners fell for them.

“Hey, babe. What’s with the face?” Josh asked, grinning at me.

“Hey, Josh. Trey’s in his room.”

He nodded, smacking my butt as he passed me. “See you around, babe.”

I glared at his back as Xavier walked up the porch steps.

“What was that?” he teased. “Is someone eyeing my girl?”

“That’s just Trey’s friend,” I said, shrugging it off as I walked to his truck with him.

“As long as he keeps his hands to himself, I don’t care who the kid is.”

I giggled. “You’re so macho.”

He grinned. “Just for you, beautiful.”

I blushed at the pet name. Xavier had been calling me that a lot more since Tanner had kidnapped me.

Xavier didn’t like talking about “it”. He spoke to me about it one time, right after he had rescued me, and has forbidden everyone from mentioning it since. Which really sucked since I had tons of questions about it.

“So, are your parents anything like Kurt’s?”

Just last week, Kurt took Cookie to meet his dad and step mom. (Cookie likes to call them Dick and Bitch.) They were so bad that Cookie actually called me to get Clara, Kurt’s mom, who apparently disliked the two just as much. His step mom had “accidentally” spilled hot coffee on Cookie, and then when Cookie confronted her about it, his dad slapped her. Cookie then called me, and from what I heard, Kurt was threatening to call the cops on his dad. (Go team Kurt!)

“No, my parents are nothing like Kurt’s.” He smiled reassuringly. “For one thing, my mom is the sweetest woman you’ll ever meet. Secondly, my dad would sooner commit suicide than hit a girl.”

I nodded. That calmed my nerves just a little bit.

“When are you going to formally introduce me to your folks?”

“Uh, soon,” I said nervously. Truth was, I was scared that my parents wouldn’t approve of Xavier. I mean, what if they don’t like him? Really don’t like him. At all.

“Is that vanilla?” he asked suddenly, sniffing the air.

I nodded. “I borrowed it from Cookie. Do you think I used too much?”

“No.” He grinned. “I like it.”

I blushed. “Thanks.”

There was silence. “Is Abbie still on her cruise?”

I nodded. “She’ll be coming back next week.”

Abbie was my newest best friend. I had saved her from Candy and her wannabes trying to beat her up earlier in the semester, and we’ve been inseparable ever since. I actually missed my other blonde friend, and her green-hazel eyes.

He pulled up onto the curb of a quaint little home. It was beautiful. It was a red bricked structure of two stories with a wraparound porch that was a peeling beige color.

“Your house is…gorgeous,” I said before I could stop myself.

“Eh, it’s nothing special.” He shrugged nonchalantly.

“If we get married, we’re living with your parents.”

He looked at me like I was crazy. “Why?”

“Because I want your house,” I said as he helped me out of his truck.

He chuckled. “Just don’t tell my mom.”

I didn’t bother myself with asking why. “Now, fair warning, my family is kind of—”

“Get back here so I can kill you!”

Two boys burst through the door of the house, nearly knocking me over before Xavier caught me.

“Bunny, meet my annoying twin brothers, Garrett and Joey,” Xavier grumbled.

“They’re not really going to kill each other, are they?” I asked with wide eyes.

“Of course not,” he said. “Right, boys?”

“Whoa,” the one with long, emo-styled (or Justin Bieber-styled) hair.

The two had dark hair, and hazel eyes. They were lean, and both looked to be about fifteen. The only difference I could find was that one had long hair while the other’s was short (comparatively).

“I’m Joey,” the one with long hair said. “And that loser’s my brother, Garrett.”

Garrett readjusted his glasses to get a better look at me. “You’re way too hot for our brother.” Garrett’s glasses fogged as Xavier gave him a mean look.

“Back off,” he growled at the two.

“They’re cute,” I giggled. “I just wanna give them a big old hug.”

The two opened their arms invitingly with giant grins on their faces.

“Yeah, so are badgers,” Xavier said. “But would you hug a badger?”

“No, of course not.”

“Then don’t hug my brothers.”

“Why can’t the pretty lady hug us?” Joey whined. (Ha, five seconds and already I can tell his brothers apart.) “I’d like a hug from the pretty lady.”

“For once, I agree with Joey.”

“No,” Xavier said firmly. “No go get clean for dinner.”

They grumbled as they obeyed their older brother.

“You’re all authoritative with your brothers,” I said. “It’s smexii.” I put a little extra sway when I walked just for him as I stepped into his home.

He followed me. “Mom! Dad! I’m home!” he yelled. He paused. “And I brought my girlfriend!”

Almost immediately a clamoring sound could be heard. A middle-aged man and woman appeared, grinning like fools at me.

The woman was 5’7”, maybe 5’8”. She was tall. She had caramel colored hair, and blazing green eyes. She was skinny, too, like supermodel thin. Her hair was in a high ponytail that cascaded down and past her shoulders. She must’ve been distantly Hispanic, too.

The man was (amazingly) the same height as Xavier. He was muscular, and tan. It looked like he worked outside a lot. He had dark brown hair, and the bluest eyes I’ve ever seen.

“You must be Bunny,” the woman said, smiling as she shook my hand. “Xavier’s told us so much about you.”

I smiled, blushing. “He’s told me a lot about you, too, Mrs. Michaels.”

“Please, call me Terri,” she said, smiling warmly at me. “Now, what is Bunny short for?”

“Uh, it’s actually a funny story,” I said, laughing awkwardly. “My real name is Rebecca.”

“Oh, I love that name!” Terri gushed. “Such a pretty name!”

“Uh, thanks.”

I looked at Xavier like, Help me.

“Uh, how about I give Bunny the grand tour?” Xavier looked at his mom pleadingly.

“Oh, okay. Dinner is almost ready, though.” She smiled.

“First step on the tour, my room.” He grinned. He grabbed my hand, pulling me along through his home and naming every room as we passed. He took me up the steps, and down the hall to his bedroom.

“This, beautiful, is my room,” he said, grinning as he opened the door. His room looked like the typical teenage boy’s bedroom. The walls were painted navy blue, and covered with pictures of athletes of various sports and band posters. His bed was covered with dark colored sheets, and his dresser was made from dark mahogany. He had a desk, a bookcase, and an entertainment system made from the same kind of wood. There were several windows surrounding the room, lighting it up.

“Wow,” I said as he sat me down on the bed. “Definitely what I expected.”

He chuckled. “It’s not much, but it’s enough,” he said sheepishly, sitting down beside me.

I nodded, smiling at him. He was leaning in, and I was, too. Our lips were just about to meet…

“Dinner!” his mom yelled through the house.

Xavier groaned. “Perfect timing as always,” he grumbled.

I giggled at him, pecking his lips. “Better?”

“A little,” he said stubbornly.

We stood up, walking hand-in-hand down the steps, and into the dining room.

There was a little girl of about thirteen with caramel hair and dark brown eyes. She smiled at me. She was pale. She was covered in cream-colored skin.

“Hi, I’m Angel,” she said, standing up to shake my hand. “Xavier’s little sister.”

I nodded, smiling. “Xavier’s told me a lot about you, Angel.”

It was true. Xavier talked about his sister constantly. She was suffering from a rare illness known as Mitochondrial disease, just like Cookie. The doctors said she didn’t have much longer.

“I’m Bunny, by the way.”

“I know. Xavier talks about you all the time. We actually had to start making him pay—”

“Angel,” Xavier said, “don’t lie to my girlfriend.”

“I’m not lying.”

“Yes, you are.”

I giggled. Xavier needs to learn how to be more subtle.

“Did everyone wash their hands?” Terri asked. We nodded. “Joey, Garrett, let’s see ’em.”

“Don’t you trust us?” Joey asked.

“No.”

The honesty in their mother’s voice was hilarious. I started laughing at them.

Joey and Garrett held up their hands, which were covered in mud.

“Wash your hands. Now.

The twins left the table to wash their hands.

“I’m so sorry, Bunny. I guess they’re just excited to meet you,” Terri apologized.

“It’s okay,” I said, smiling in reassurance.

They passed around pasta, bread, salad, and toppings. As I quickly learned, Xavier’s grandma had come straight off the boat from Italy sometime during World War II. She had been staying with them since she had recently had hip surgery at a hospital nearby.

She smiled at me with her wrinkled face from across the table. She had snow white hair, and dark brown eyes much similar to Angel’s. “So, you are Bunny.” She had a thick Italian accent. Not surprising.

I nodded. “And you’re Xavier’s—”

“Grandma,” she interrupted, “but everyone calls me Amelia.” I nodded. “I will expect you to also.”

I nodded. “I will, then.”

I was starving. I didn’t want to look like a pig, though. Cookie had come over around lunchtime to help me get ready for my date, and that meant that I missed lunch. It was totally worth it, though, because I look fabulous.

I wrapped my noodles around my fork, and took a bite. God, this tastes so good. I love Italian food. It is honestly my favorite type of food.

“So, Bunny, Xavier mentioned that you like acting,” Terri said to start conversation.

I nodded. “My mom’s an actress, so it’s a really big part of my life already.”

“What’s your mother’s name?” she asked curiously. “Maybe I’ve heard of her.”

“Janice Harbors. Janice Newton on stage.”

Terri squealed, making me jump in my chair. “Janice is one of my favorite actresses! I never knew she had a daughter!”

I blushed. “She likes to keep us out of the spotlight.”

She took a minute to calm down. “And what does your father do?”

“He’s a doctor.”

“Ooh! What field?”

“Uh…” I thought about it, but came up blank. “He works in the ER.”

“Ah.”

There was silence as we chewed our food.

“Do you have a summer job?”

“No, but I’m looking for one.”

“Mhmm,” she said thoughtfully. “Must be hard with the economy the way it is.”

I nodded. “Yes, ma’am.” I paused to take a bite of the garlic bread. “I might be getting an internship at my mom’s office. It won’t pay me, but it’ll give me experience.”

“Experience is good.”

I nodded. “Maybe it’ll make it easier to find a job.”

“It should.” She paused. “I’m hosting a fundraiser in a few weeks, and I’d love it if you and your mother could attend, Bunny.”

“What’s it for?” I asked as I twirled noodles around my fork.

“It’s for the local orphanage. I host a series of fundraisers every year.”

“I’m sure my mom would love to attend.”

She smiled. “Great.”

* * * * * *


“I think my family really likes you,” Xavier said, grinning.

“You really think so?” I asked nervously. I had accidentally spilled my drink all over Amelia just before we left. I apologized, but I’m pretty sure she cussed at me in Italian. “I don’t think Amelia likes me very much.”

“She does.” He looked uneasy, though, so I wasn’t very reassured. “She didn’t mean everything she said.”

“What did she say?” I asked worriedly.

“Nothing, beautiful,” he said, kissing my forehead.

I pouted. “She said something bad about me, didn’t she?”

“Never, beautiful.”

He kissed my lips lovingly. “It doesn’t matter, anyway.”

I still suspected that Amelia said something mean, but I decided to let it go. I leaned against him as he started the car. “I can’t believe you’ll be going away to college.”

He smiled teasingly. “It’s just a community college on the other side of town. I’ll actually be living closer to you.”

That didn’t make me feel any better. I wouldn’t be able to see him as much. Besides, he’d be surrounded by college girls. What could a high school junior-to-be like me amount to when compared to college girls?

“Promise me that you won’t stare at too many college girls,” I murmured.

“You’re the only girl I’ll ever stare at,” he said, pulling up in front of my house.

I kissed his lips. “Goodnight, Xavier.”

“’Night, Bunny.”

I skipped up the porch steps, which swung open to reveal my mom, who was grinning.

“Oh, how did it go?” she asked excitedly.

“Fine,” I said vaguely.

“When’s your next date?”

“Tomorrow, after school,” I said, smiling at the thought of seeing Xavier again. “We’re double dating with Cookie and Kurt.”

“Ooh!” she squealed. “I love how you four are so close! It’s just so cute!” She started giggling.

I rolled my eyes. “Goodnight, mom.”

“Goodnight, Bunny.”