So Bittersweet By Our Design

Aches and Pains

Monday morning came way too soon. I was released from the hospital just last night and I was already expected to be in school again. I didn't want to go because I knew I'd be the talk of the whole place. Rumors beyond belief were probably spread about me. To everyone else, I was probably on a suicide mission.

I woke up and prepared myself for the day. I hid away my bruised and broken body away in a red plaid shirt and black ripped up jeans and I tied my light brown hair up into a messy bun and wrapped a black bandanna around my head. I grabbed my backpack and slipped my arms through the straps and skipped out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

I was early this morning so I decided to have some breakfast before I started my walk off to Dulaney High School. As I rummaged through the slim selection of food in the fridge, I heard shuffling footsteps enter the room. I looked over the door to see a tired Mike glaring at me.

"What the hell are you doing?" he groaned. "You know people try to sleep in the mornings."

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was being loud." I quietly said, pulling out the jug of orange juice.

"Speak up, I can't understand you when you mumble."

I cleared my throat and turned to him. "I said I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was being loud." I spoke louder, watching his muscles in his arms flex. He always did that when he was about to hit me. I winced at the thought and poured my glass of orange juice, waiting for a strike to my body.

"Don't be a smart ass Makayla Jade."

"Please don't call me that." I said, picking up the orange juice jug to put it back in the refrigerator.

He raised his hand and swung and I managed to duck. I dropped the orange juice jug in the floor and raced around him, biting my lip in pain because of my broken ribs. He gripped my wrist tightly and yanked me, throwing me back into the kitchen floor. Still with a tight grip on my wrist, he kicked me twice in the ribs. I heard crackling underneath each hit. They were probably shattered now.

"I'll call you whatever I want, Makayla Jade." he aggressively said. "Now get up and get your ass to school."

I nodded and got up from the floor, taking deep breaths as I slowly stumbled to the front door.

I walked through another cold rainy day to my school. My ribs ached and throbbed with each step. I held my breath and sucked up the pain. I couldn't be bothered with crying before having to go into school. I didn't want to give people anything else to talk about.

I walked in right when the bell rang. I pushed my way through the crowds in the hallway, avoiding the stares and whispers, as I made my way into my English class.

"Miss Everett." my English teacher, Mr. Matthews, called from his desk as I entered the room. "You have something here." he pointed to a vase of daisies.

I gave him a strange look as I approached. "Who're they from?"

"A Jacob Everett." he smiled.

"Thank you." I nodded, picking up the vase. I took it back to my desk and sat down, pulling out the note along with them.

Feel better Kaybear. I love you!
-Jacob Alexander Everett


I laughed to myself and rolled my eyes. My older brother was a big cheese ball. When he was eighteen, he left to join the military to get away from my mom and Mike. The worst part was having to leave me behind with them, but he couldn't take me.

"Jade!" I heard a squeaky voice. I looked up to see Brielle running to me, her heels clicking on the floor and her blonde curls bouncing everywhere. "Are you okay? Oh my God! I was so worried!"

"I'm fine, Mom." I rolled my eyes. "Just a few broken bones."

"What's broke?"

"My arm," I raised my arm, that was wrapped up in a black cast. "I've got a broken collarbone, and a few shattered ribs."

"You know Mr. Morris isn't gonna get away with this!"

"Yes, Bri. I know he's not. He was drunk, according to Alex."

"Who?" she cocked her head.

"Alex, Alex Gaskarth. You know, the kid in our Calculus and History classes?" I narrowed my eyes at her.

"How is he involved?"

"When I got hit the other night, he was the witness and he called 911 and drug me out of the road so I wouldn't get hit again. He saved my life, Brielle."

"I need to thank him, oh my God." she laughed.

"Ladies," Mr. Matthews interrupted us. "you can talk at lunch time. Now, we're learning."

"Yes sir." I nodded and slumped in my seat, listening to his boring lecture. I looked down at my bare wrist, seeing Mike's fingers branded in purple. I quickly covered it with my sleeve before someone could notice. Just my luck.
______________________________________________________
Lunch time came finally. I sat at the table where I sat everyday with Brielle and her boyfriend, Liam. I would stay quiet while they would hold hands and be lovey dovey. Like any other day, I did, ignoring their little lovefest. I was picking at a Caesar salad when the chair next to me slid out. I looked up, seeing my hero sit down.

"Hey Jade." Alex smiled. "How're you feeling?"

"Again, I've been better." I sighed. "Having a broken arm and collarbone isn't fun. Neither is crushed ribs that makes it hurt to breathe. But enough of my rained parade, how are you feeling today, Alex?"

"I'm tired as fuck." he yawned. "I haven't slept well the past couple of nights."

"Why?"

"No idea, honestly." he said, dropping his eyes to my wrist. His eyes snapped back up to mine and a warm smile spread across his lips.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I pursed my lip, looking down at my wrist. The branded fingers were revealed, along with a few recent cuts on my wrist. Dammit! I yanked my sleeve down, and looked at my shaking hands.

"Jade," he quietly said. "what's that?"

"Nothing." I stood up from my seat, dashing away from him. I ran into the bathroom and locked myself in a stall, shaking and crying over all of the pain I was in.

Alex's POV:

I was in complete shock over what I just saw. Scabbed over cuts on her pale wrist from attempted suicide, purple fingers around her wrist from where someone held her down. That's why she was running away that night..

I felt horrible. I felt like a complete fuck up also. I know my trust to her just flew away. She wasn't going to let me in to help her out in anyway.

"Alex," I heard someone call my name from the end of the table. Brielle Johnson, a preppy blonde sat there intently staring at me. "Don't. You're asking for trouble."

"I don't understand though!" I replied.

"You never will." she stood up from the table, going to look for her best friend.

What's with people thinking I won't understand? I've been dealt a terrible hand I've had to play over the past five years. I was perfectly capable of understanding something.

I sighed heavily and left the table, retreating back to my own.

"Where have you been dickmuncher?" Jack punched my arm.

"I'm not in the mood, Jack." I groaned, setting down in a seat.

"What's wrong, Lex?" Kara asked me.

"Yeah, what's up Alex?" Jack pressed also.

"I went to check on Jade. I fucked up big time and upset her. I'm pretty sure she hates me now."

"Alex, lets just face it. You're terrible at talking to girls." Jack joked.

"No I'm not, I just asked a question that wasn't mean to be answered." I shrugged. "Whatever."

I laid my head down on the table, ignoring Jack's stark comments. I really didn't know what I was going to do about Jade. I wanted to apologize to her for everything and I really hoped she gave me the chance.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this story line I got goin' on. c:
Comment & Subscribe.