Status: A Growing Child :)

Along Came Awkward

"It's not that simple."

Laura took a deep breath before knocking twice swiftly on the door to the Sykes' residence. It was the next morning, the sun was shining and the birds were chirping - neither of which signified or improved her mood. She was glum. It wasn't like her to feel bad for any actions, but this she did and it was that haunting thought of hurting Tom Sykes that drove Laura to his house the following morning.

A moment after knocking, a tall lanky man opened the door. "Erm, can I help yeh?" Laura's eyes narrowed at him for a moment processing every detail of him in. "Listen, if yeh a fan, I'm sor-" Laura pushed passed him and walked into the house eyeing the stairs. "Oi! What do yeh fink yeh-"

"You're Tom's older brother," she noted, her eyes trailing the fish tank that sat in the wall of the living room.

"Yeah I am but-, wait, are yeh a friend o' Tom's?"

"Yes," she replied before frowning and turning to the older man. "No?" She asked, her thoughts suddenly becoming clustered together. "I actually am not sure," Laura finished.

Oli looked at her like she was crazy before hearing his brother coming down the stairs. "Do yeh know her?"

"Yeah Olleh. I fucked her two nights ago and boy was 'er husband mad."

"What?" Oli threw his hands in the air. "I leave fo' a few days and suddenly everyone is mental!"

"Come on," Tom spoke to Laura before turning on his heel and heading back up the stairs. Laura followed a few steps behind without looking back at the brother.

Tom allowed her in the room first before following behind her. He sat on the bed and watched her movements. Laura looked around the room messing with little knickknacks on the dresser and occasionally staring out the window. She was nervous and it was obvious in her suddenly shy actions. This wasn't the girl Tom met in the bathroom. This wasn't the same girl by far. This softer more vulnerable side of her made him wonder if this was the true Laura and the outspoken version of her was just a cover up. As hurt as he was, he couldn't deny being so irrevocably fascinated by her.

Laura cleared her throat and sat at the other side of the bed as far away from him as possible. The last time the two were together, silence filled the air as well and now this second silent occurrence was bringing nothing but bad memories and the need for whiskey into the room.

"I don't say I'm sorry a lot, but I am." She finally said while keeping her eyes focused on her knees. They seemed less scary than the reaction she was expecting out of Tom.

Tom nodded his head before getting up and heading to his bathroom. A moment or two later he came out and headed onto the balcony leaving the door open.

Laura watched as he sat down and looked out towards the ocean crashing on the rocks below. He lit something up and put it to his lips before letting an exhale of smoke escape. She soon found the courage to join him outside. She sat not too close letting her eyes admire the view.

A bird chirping above her caught her ear and she looked up to see the same Nightjar from a few nights before perched at a little yellow bird house. "You made a birdhouse?" Laura smiled up at the little bird.

Tom hummed a response following her eyes onto the bird. "I did yestahday afternoon when I got back. I figured I'd use my misery for somefing good." He noted before putting his cigarette out.

"I filed for a divorce six months ago," she spoke before finally looking at Tom in the eyes for the first time since arriving at the house.

"Why are you still married?"

"He won't sign them!" She groaned, throwing her hands in the air.

"Get a fucking lawyer then!" He shouted back, shocking them both at how strong he felt about it. Not even Tom knew his true feelings behind it.

Laura sighed and ran her hands through her hair. "It's not that simple."

"Why?" Tom snapped.

"Because it's not!" Laura shouted back at him before sighing. "I came over here to apologize and I did. You're making it very obvious you don't want me here so-"

"No!" Tom grabbed her arm, immediately retracting it back after he did so. "Sorreh I jumped, I-"

"It's okay," Laura mumbled staying where she was.

Tom looked at her before gently placing his hand on her thigh. Laura looked up and smiled gently before scooting closer to him. She turned and looked out towards the ocean again letting the waves crashing on the rocks fill the silence she no longer feared.

Tom moved his hand and draped it across her shoulders before leaning over and kissing her temple. They weren't together as a couple, but they both couldn't put the past behind them. What was done was done and between exchanging orgasms that night, they also exchanged feelings for one another.

"Do you want to know why it's not so simple to leave Tom?" Laura asked the young Sykes next to her.

He shook his head and leaned it on top of hers. "Not right now, love. Don't ruin this."

She hummed in response and went back to focusing on the view. For now things would stay simple between them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Didn't spell check, sorry!